How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Quote from: desdawg on August 28, 2008, 06:24:18 AM
I have a rental coming empty.

Nothing worse than an empty rental.    :(

Well, maybe a rental full of someone you'd like to get rid of and can't without jumping through all the legal hoops.  >:(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

desdawg

I know I didn't complete the term of my lease. But that shouldn't cost me anything should it.I need to get my deposit back.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Drew

It's a beautiful 68 degrees here in Pacifica.  I can see out to the top of San Bruno Mountain from here, a hike I took on Wednesday.  If I went out down the block, I might see the Marin Headlands where I rode my bike yesterday.

But today I'll relax and enjoy the weather.  Why?  Because I'm SORE from hiking up San Bruno Mountain and Biking from Crissy Field to Marin City and back!

Somebody get me a Jamba Juice.

glenn kangiser

I just couldn't live like that, Drew.  I did a white knuckled ride on a bike a couple weeks ago - 1/4 mile down my gravel/dirt driveway to get my tractor at the renters- threw the bike in the bucket so I didn't have to walk back for my truck.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

It's back to feeling like a hot sticky August now... and yesterday the girls wanted to make "hippopotamus" rolls for dinner (long story, but they're basically just dinner rolls  that look like hippos and have marshmallow teeth).  I'd promised, so we cranked the oven up and made them even though it was sweltering in here afterward.  The AC didn't kick off until the wee hours this morning, and the thermostat was set at nearly 80 degrees.

Redoverfarm

Really a nice day today. Temp probably hit a high of 75. The rain cleared things up the last couple of days.  The sky is blue again with white clouds instead of grey ones. Really needed the two day rain.  Now I guess the grass will start greening up again as it hasn't been for over a month.  Shame I spent this day inside doing insulation. :(

glenn kangiser

Supposed to be 105 here today - probably made it a couple miles away in the valley - currently 100.4 in the shade here

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

NH is cooler than that Glenn.

glenn kangiser

Would I be allowed over there?

Redoverfarm

The weather is definitely changing mode here.  On thursday it was 32F with a heavy frost.  Every morning since it has been 32-35F.  I guess it just comes with the seasons.  Better start looking for the snow shovel.

glenn kangiser

.63 inches rain measured here in our first good rain of the season.  Fire danger is down.

MountainDon

1.12 inches of rain in the mountains Saturday through Sunday. Snow above 9500 feet. Low 32 F High 65 F over the weekend. Deer and Elk crossing the property as if they owned the place. Wood stove working well.

ScottA

The cold and wet yuck of early winter has arrived here in OK. It was nice while it lasted.

Redoverfarm

Since my last post the temps have changed to 22-26F in the mornings with heavy frost.  Good bye to the flowers and plants.  There is a cold front coming with some moisture so they are predicting a little snow by the weekend. 

MountainDon

It looks like it's going to be a cold night up in the mountains. At 8:08 PM it's already down to 26 degrees. The high up there today was 44.

Redoverfarm

Just think Don that new stove is up there all by itself wanting warm company.  If it stayed like that you will have to heat up the place before any mudding can take place.  Maybe by early afternoon on Saturday if you got there on Friday  eve.

MountainDon

Yep. My plan is to get up there Friday night by 7:30 - 8:00 PM and get a fire going.  :)  So far I've been able to start a fire Friday night and carry a fire overnight from the last stoking at 11:00 PM and find it at a toasty warm 69 degrees at the east end (stove at the west end) with no problem.

I have an infrared thermometer I use to track the warming up of the walls. Once warmed it's pretty even, though warmer towards the stove end of course.   69 at the bed end, 72 at the stove end last weekend; those are wall temps; I don't have an air temp thermometer in the cabin yet... I keep forgetting to take one. .

Redoverfarm

Don to speed things up a bit on the cold end you could use a small fan from the stove end toward the colder end.  I've done that when curing the mud out before.

MountainDon

I've thought of that, but since my AC power comes from either the generator or a 400 watt inverter at present I haven't bothered.

It'll be nice when I get the 24 VDC ceiling fan installed and more batteries plus the solar.  :)

An overnight burn will get it up okay I'm sure. If it's a tad cool in the AM opening the air flap on the Aspen will raise the temp pretty quickly. That's one thing nice about the infrared thermometer; it's easy to get the actual wall, floor, ceiling surface temperature.

Harbor Freight has a decent on for $30 to 40 depending on sales (or not).  Glenn has one too and has posted a picture someplace here.

MountainDon

My wood stove starting up...

:)

MountainDon

It's now 22 degrees up there (@23:08). I'm going out on a limb and predicting an overnight low of 13 degrees up there.  (need a shiver emoticon)  I'll check back in the AM.

MountainDon

I was way off.  :( The weather played a trick. After falling steadily up to where I went to bed, it only dropped to 20 at midnight. Then it started up, reaching 25 at 4 AM. Then dropped to the overnight low of 19 at 6 & 7 AM. Still the coldest night so far this fall. It's now up to 22

glenn kangiser

Depending on where you are and microclimates that could be common.

View air like water - the cold settling and displacing the warm daytime air that was in the valley below.  As the valley fills with the very cold air it settles to the bottom absent wind to mix things up.  It is heavier than the warm air so the warm air rises to where you are - warming things up.  After a bit the cold overpowers the warm and in comes your coldest temp.  It seems common around here to get that drop before daylight - not sure on the total cause of it.

The above part from pilot training and part from my observations here on the mountain in the banana belt.

MountainDon

It's common here/there to see the lowest temp just before/at dawn, but unusual to see the significant rise in between.     ???    Much warmer tonight; 36 right now