This is actually the beginning of the project. The two shells used to construct the dogtrot. With a interesting story behind. Originally I had put a deposit on two shells from one individual at the same location. The were comprable in depth so they would easily fit the same foundation. Prior to getting them moved the owner called and stated that someone during his absence had stolen the small cabin.
Well back to square one. So I had to round me up another small cabin to put with the big one. I did manage to find one but the problem was it was only 16' deep and the larger cabin was 18' deep. Chainsaw time. I ended up cutting the larger cabin from 18' to 16' to match. Doesn't sound too bad huh. In doing so I had to cut two walls of logs with the A or V notch that matched. Real chore. But it had to be done.
Another obsticle is the cabins sill logs ran the wrong way for my foundation (16') rather than front and back. So I had to drop the sill log which lowered the cabin heigth by one log. Then to give me a good starting sill log on a foundation deck I ended up using a Alaskan Saw Mill to cut the bottom of the sill logs to lay on the foundation. Other wise if I left the sill logs in their original location you would have had to jump over them walking from one room to another.
If you will notice that lowered the heigth of the windows down. Oh Well you can't have your cake and eat it too. You might also notice that the living room cabin was a two story originally. The shells had sit outside and the very top logs were not in that good of shape. In addition I needed some extra logs. Se the Kitchen cabin was shorter than the living room cabin. I used the extra living room cabin logs to add to the heigth of the kitchen.
Now can you see why this has taken me sooooo long.