How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

:P  I certainly hope not.  I don't know. Those cell phone cameras are pretty stealthy, and there were a couple of early birds headed to work.  Pregnant woman with stringy hair in flannel PJs... not a pretty sight!  Guess we'll know if it shows up on the internet somewhere.

ScottA

Cold grey and yuck again. Snow in the forcast for the rest of today and tomorrow.

Redoverfarm

Another great day. Not as they predicted. Temp close to 60F and sunny. But I still inside working. Just about finished this phase then onto something else. Calling for rain or snow next couple of days. Hope they are wrong again.

Redoverfarm

Just heard an interesting tid-bit on the snow this year.  Someone "official" said that the last time there was this much land area covered by snow in a year was in 1966.  Some old timmers used to say that weather runs on a 40 year cycle. Haven't been around that long to see if it true for two cycles.

As far as here today it is 43F with light rain. Rained most of the day yesterday. Suppose to drop to the high teens - lower twenties tonight.  But It is getting close as the robins have returned.

Homegrown Tomatoes

It was gorgeous today.  T-shirt weather and sunny.  We took kids to the lake and goofed off for a while after church.  Came home with our tennis shoes all covered in red clay.

tanya

It is sunny and warm here but it is supposed to rain later.  The snow really is almost gone. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

ScottA

High 57. Some nice weather for a change. Glen how bout loading some weather smilies?

Sassy

I was down in the valley, north of Fresno where my dad's home is at - it got to 78-80 degrees today!  But supposed to cool off again & rain on Friday.  All the nut & fruit trees are in bloom, everything is really green - its so beautiful this time of year.

Only thing, I had a TICK on me the other day  :o [scared]  I hate em, haven't had one since I was 4 y/o in Ohio!  Glenn was teasing me & when he took a shower, he had one on him too!  So, I'll watch to see if I get flu like symptoms or a bullseye patch...  & get me some doxycyline (antibiotic)  Lyme disease can have devastating effects - this year is worse than any year we've been up here, but even in the valley at the end of our property there's a reservoir & the dogs have come back full of ticks... yuck  :P
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

Ticks can be pretty bad critters, Sassy.  I'll never forget one summer I worked at the University of Oklahoma's Biological Station down at Lake Texoma (actually I worked three or four summers there, but this one was especially memorable.)  We had a bunch of kids who were all pretty citified at the Field Biology camp that year, and in the middle of the night I was awakened by screams coming from the girls' dorm.  Two of the girls came beating on my door and telling me that there was a major emergency.  I went to their room where one of their roommates was absolutely in hysterics because a she had a tick that had bitten her in the waistband of her underwear.  She wouldn't let any of the other girls help her get it off, and she was knocking stuff over she was so freaked out by it.  It was really really hard not to laugh out loud, and I don't remember anywhere in my job description that said I was the official tick puller (I was the botany TA.)  So, I finally got her calmed down enough to get the tick off... it wasn't even attached good yet.  The rest of the girls in that room were just about as hysterical as she was, and they were going around doing tick checks on each other and wanted me to take them to Wal-Mart to buy an arsenal of deep woods off the next day.  One girl from Tulsa stood on the edge of a marsh the next day with her arms folded across her chest and absolutely refused to wade out into the marsh to collect plants because she was so scared of getting a tick or a leach, or of coming across a snake.  We took that bunch canoeing down the mountain fork river one weekend, and I shared a canoe with one of the students from Taipei, Taiwan, and when the canoe bumped into some cyprus roots and scared a little copperhead curled up there, she nearly beat me to death with the paddle before I could steer us away from the poor scared snake.  After that, she wouldn't even get out and help if we got stuck, and she even sat in the canoe while the rest of us took a break to swim because she was so scared of everything (ticks, snakes, dragonflies, the woods themselves...)  Kids are way too sheltered these days.

Oh, yeah, the weather.  Gorgeous again.  Sunny, warm, very nice.  Kids are out back looking for bugs and little one insisted it was tank top weather.  S'posed to be a high of around 69 or 70 today.

tanya

It is sunny here again I love the sun!!!  I have been raking the hillside full of nasty old dead weeds once I get the old ones raked off it should all be grass because they sprayed for weeds last year.  the weather report keeps saying it is going to rain and be cold but right here it is warm and sunny, sometimes I love it when they are wrong.

I know we will have a bad tick year this year too.  There is a lot of moisture in the ground, trees, etc. and it will get warm and they will come out.  Sooo that means I have to put at the top of my list tick collars for the dogs they get ticks pretty bad and the collars ar ethe only thing that works.  Luckily we don't have fleas here so as soon as tick season is over I take them off, but I sure do hate putting them on in the first place.  The horses get their worm medicine and the ticks still get on them but they die as soon as they feed.  Luckily I still have repellant for us humans left over from last year.  The ticks we get here carry rocky mountain fever which can be deadly so everyone has to be aware of ticks and look for them all the time.  The wasps are coming out too.  I have to get all the repellants and allergy meds restocked.  Plus get the animals their stuff too.  I hope work starts up soon. 

MaineRhino

We have a 3' snow base left. No chance of seeing grass anytime soon! More snow predicted for Friday. d*

Spent last week in Mexico, first vacation in 10 years. We hoped the snow would melt while we were gone. It didn't. :-[

We had a severe tick problem too, so we got bantam chickens. It took a while, but they solved that problem. Our chickens haven't been outside since early November.

ScottA

After a week of pretty nice weather the rain is back. Temps in the 40's.

Sassy

Quote from: MaineRhino on March 12, 2008, 06:14:24 PM
We have a 3' snow base left. No chance of seeing grass anytime soon! More snow predicted for Friday. d*

Spent last week in Mexico, first vacation in 10 years. We hoped the snow would melt while we were gone. It didn't. :-[

We had a severe tick problem too, so we got bantam chickens. It took a while, but they solved that problem. Our chickens haven't been outside since early November.

How many months do you actually have of warm weather?   ???
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Willy

Weather sucks bigtime! Woke up to 12+ new inches of snow on the ground and more coming out of the sky! Forcast said more on the way tonight and tomorrow. I just got done plowing the driveway off and not happy. The whole place was allmost free of snow till this morning now it is all white again. This will put a damper on the cabin site I will have to wait till this last stuff melts again. Mark

gandalfthegrey

We are storming up.  expecting Thunderstorms / snow to 3500'.
Bad Wolf

Willy

Quote from: gandalfthegrey on March 15, 2008, 01:57:51 PM
We are storming up.  expecting Thunderstorms / snow to 3500'.
Now it is 45 degs outside and it is melting fast. The ground was warm since it was bare for a week in the sun and warm temps. Mark

MountainDon

Spring must be on its way... windy as all get out today... cloudy too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

We had  about 30 minutes of snow or ice pellets coming down hard, some gigantic thunder and a bit of lightning.  Seems to have lightened up pretty well now-- 38.8f out.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

The temperature's not bad, about 64 F. But we just recorded as matching, yep 64 MPH wind gust.

Good day for being inside. The sky looks like dirt.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Just a tad nippy with 45F but with a light jacket it was nice. Light wind but clear blue skies.  Warmed up in a hurry as my son and I just drove (12) 6' #8 rebar in the property line dividing our land from the neighbors on the mountain side.  Wasn't long shedding the coat after hoofing and driving.  Florscent orange tops so there was no mistake where "he" was.  I knew exactly where "I" was.  Some people just like to push upon others.  I am sure you know people like that.

ScottA

Heavy rain and thunderstorms. Temps in the 50's.

tanya

It's sunny and warm here.  I have actually got some raking done and moved the horses round pen.  There are af ew clouds but if it doesn't rain much I am going to get the posts out of the ground that I want to use for garden fence and put them in.  It is still way to soon to start any outside  vegies but I have to fence first and build the beds afterthe ground can be worked.  My soil here is so heavy that even though it will be half horse manure I have to wait a long time for it to dry out but not too long or it turns to concrete.  This year though it is going to be great.  My garden last year got plowed under during the excavation of the new driveway and lawn.  This year everything is all nice and ready to go.  It is going to be a busy spring here.  Easter next week, babtisim, weddings, and other family obligations are coming up pretty fast.  I think I better just write in BEACH on a few weekends just to be on the safe side. 

gandalfthegrey

Clear today, morning frost due to clear sky.  About 50 now.

Tanya..it is nicce to hear from other horse people on the list.

Bad Wolf

ScottA

More rain. 46 degrees  :P

glenn kangiser

Sun - currently 60.4 outside.

No rain in site for a week.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.