How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Started at 30F and has risen to 48F @ noon. Forecast is high today @50F and tommarrow @ 60F.  Here comes the mud. Then rain or snow the rest of the week with Temp's in 20-mid 30s.

Sassy

Red, you have some big fluctuations in your weather  :o  We've been sunny the past few days - was in the high 50's yesterday - still only 47 today but supposed to get into the 60's.  I need to get out & plant the cabbage, broccoli etc that Glenn started.  I bought a couple dwarf apricot trees & dwarf peach trees - he just planted them for me yesterday.  We have a lot of winter veggies still - lots of huge rutabagas, onions, carrots, hopefully more broccoli (we ate all the heads of broccoli but usually they keep reproducing if you cut them right), haven't gotten any cabbage this year out of our 4 year old cabbage plant - last year we got 5 or 6!  Lettuce is starting to grow...  we are above average on rain & snow pack this year.

Glenn had to go down to the valley to deliver some big landscaping rocks to someone down there.  He hates to go down there... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Yeah Sassy not real sure whether it is the elevation or the mountain range. Depends on which front is stronger on one side or the other.  Don't blame Glenn for wanting to go there.  I hardly go to our town  either unless I have to.  Have to hold off on the gardening awhile here. Ground is still frozen a couple inches from the top.  Got to order some Everbearing strawberry plants.  The one's I have don't seem to do very well anymore. Been the same plants for the past 6-8 years.  Even transplanting the runners is no good anymore.  The wife just said today that she wished the tomatoes were ripe. Ha.   

tanya

The weather has really warmed up here lately and the sun is shining today no fire or heaters going right now.  Early next week the forcast is for weather in high forties or low fifties.  The snow is melting fast I have a lot of stuff up inthe hot house now and I think I may have jumped the gun on the tomatoes, they can't go out until early June so I am going to have to put them all in bigger pots.  I am so glad it is spring finally.  I had my grandbaby here too and if the ice were gone I could take her out for a walk.  I almost fell on the ice feeding the horses though so I decided better wait on that.  Another month or two and I will be able to start actually digging the garden beds. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I love, love, love Oklahoma weather!  Today it got up to nearly 75 degrees.  Then in the evening, it clouded up all the sudden and started thundering.  Then came the tornadic storms, then the hail, and then the flash flooding, and then temps hovering around freezing, and then blowing snow!  All in one day.  Never a dull moment.

Sassy

Wow, that's some weather, HG!

MountainDon

When it comes to less than perfect weather has anyone noticed that TV weather gets so carried away with the adjectives? Weather alerts, storm warnings, snow warnings, dire predictions of inclement weather abound. Then all too often a inch of snow falls and it's gone soon. They show multi colored map overlays of this front and that front, etc.

Methinks they get carried away in a perceived need to justify their expensive doppler radar installations.

OMMV

So.... very windy today, cloudy.... [except for when the bedraggled looking live, on-the-scene, weather repoter was on air... it was sunny then and she had to make excuses, "it was cloudy earlier" and showed some recorded earlier clouds and blowing snow... that lasted all of 5 minutes  ::) ]  Temps down to almost freezing so I guess it might snow.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Rain, sleet, snow. Yuck!  :(

Sassy

blue skies then chemtrails then cloudy then blue skies then chemtrails then cloudy ad infinitum....   >:(

John_C

QuoteWhen it comes to less than perfect weather has anyone noticed that TV weather gets so carried away with the adjectives? Weather alerts, storm warnings, snow warnings, dire predictions of inclement weather abound.

Station A says "A few showers, heavy at times and breezy".

Station B says "Possibility of record rain and localized damaging winds". 

Who do people tune in to? And in all likelihood somebody will get the predicted conditions.

gandalfthegrey

6:00 am foggy and cold (45)  8:00 clear warmer (55) 9:00 wind -70 mph (66)  now 12:40 pm still wind - 50 mph clear and still (66)

By the way this is the 2nd day of Santa Ana winds here and everything is drying out.  So probably see fire crews at work soon. :(
Bad Wolf

Redoverfarm

Wonderful day to work. Started at 26F and went up to mid 60's by afternoon. Just wish I had something to do on the outside rather than putting flooring down on the inside.  No yard work could even be considered without muck-muck boots and a dozer with tall cleats.

glenn kangiser

Week coming up about 34 nights to 60- 65 days -- feels warmer.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tanya

It's sunny and reasonably warm, around 30 I woulg guess, the wind blew the thermometer backwards and I can't see it fromt he window until I go put it right.  But it is sunny!!! and it is supposed to stay sunny for almost all week!!!  there is still snow everywhere though. It's melting slowly but surely.

Redoverfarm

Rain, Rain, Rain most of the day. Temp about 53F. Small flooding from the warm rain and the snow melt.  Ran out of prefinished flooring so I used this time to finish what I hope will be the last to finish up the loft.

MountainDon

sunny, 61 high, very light winds, 43 right now and dark  ::)

a good day all in all... sold the Chrysler LHS at last, put the new crankshaft sensor in the Jeep, and found a quarter in the parking lot at Sam's Club.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Lucky you, Don. :)  You found a quarter and I put $81 worth of diesel in my truck and it wasn't even empty.

We have been running around 50 at night because we are in the banana belt.  Nice in the daytime -- maybe high 60's

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tanya

Homegrown Tomatoes

Sunny and a bit breezy.  It feels warmer than 50 degrees if you can get in the sun and out of the wind at the same time.

ScottA

It's been nice here today but the wind has changed to the north and more cold and yuck on the way they say.

Redoverfarm

I wish it would make up it's mind. Sunny one day temp 60, rain the next, snow the next temp 20-35F.  It sort of makes me not want to get up in the morning unless the sun hits my face in bed.

glenn kangiser

We're looking at near 60 for a week.  Tonight currently 51.8 here but in the nearby valleys -- many within sight, 33 to 40.  gotta love our banana belt.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Kinda chilly and grey this morning, but still decent enough I could run down the street chasing the stupid dog in my PJs.   d* d*  This darn dog is determined to make life difficult wherever we live, I guess... he can do so just by sitting in the snow in WI, and since that doesn't work here, he digs out of the fence and goes around annoying the neighbors.  Thankfully everyone was still asleep then.  I was mad and put him in his crate for a while... hopefully he'll learn that every single time he digs out, he has to go in the crate and he'll stop doing it!

tanya

It is sunny here again.  I got my power bill yesterday and YIKES it is high.  So no more electric heaters.  I had to run four heaters for the past month but now i have firewood again so no more being lazy and just turning on the heaters.  I have to be more motivated and build a fire.  OK I am happy that it is sunny and I don't need a fire during the day, BUT I will still be very  very happy when it is summer and I don't have to build a fire at all, unless it is a camp fire for pleasure not heat. 

glenn kangiser

???

Quotedecent enough I could run down the street chasing the stupid dog in my PJs

I'm trying to imagine that.  Any pictures?

[cool]