How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandalfthegrey

We had snow in local mountians (near big Bear lake) rain and thunderstorms in deserts (between los Angeles and Palm Springs).   

I just read that there were 2 Cat 5 tornados between Denver and Greeley Colorado.  They had several smaller ones also.  And a couple in Wyoming.  What's this world coming to?  Yea I know "Global Warming"  I am not sure we're not getting ready for the next polar shift.
Bad Wolf

gandalfthegrey

Bad Wolf

glenn kangiser

Close, gandalf.

I used to work around that area quite a bit installing roll bars and slopers for Saf-T-Cab - /Johnson tractor.

Welcome to the world of weather modification.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

gandalfthegrey

I am used to the high winds... just blowing straight they knock down trees and blow over tractor trailers.  Haven't been this close to an actual tornado since my military days at Fort Leonard Wood, MO.

I lost a couple of trees last year, nothing so far this year.
Bad Wolf

Sassy

Last night I dreamed we had a few minute downpour...  when I drove back from the valley this evening, we'd had a thunderstorm a little bit earlier...  was glad to get the rain - really weird weather - last week in the 100's, this week in the 60's...  go figure  ???  and more rain predicted  :) we certainly need the rain...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

gandalfthegrey

Midwest having swarms of tornados.  I looked at the storm report in Google Earth andfound several days of heavy winds and hail.   They have posted a warning for the next couple of days.....  Lots of tornados predicted from Colorado through the mid Atlantic region.

Keep your heads down...
Bad Wolf

Redoverfarm

Warmest day we have had so far this year.  Temp's 87F.  Had a good downpouring last night with high winds and hail the size of peas.  Needed the rain.  Not only for the ground water but I needed water to mix mortar at the cabin.  Rather than haul it I just placed about 4-5 buckets at the valleys and now I am good to go for another 2-3 days. 

considerations

It just stopped raining. Its about 53 F.  Feels like a terrarium. Missed my "working on the cabin" window.  Maybe this evening before it gets dark.

Redoverfarm

At 2:00 P.M. it is miserable.  At least in my opinion we normally do not get this warm this early in the year.  94F now.  At least there is no rain and good time to get in the 1st cutting of hay.  Where is the snow when you need it. ;)

considerations

Its still raining.  We had a reasonable but cool day yesterday, maybe 55F tops, but no rain in the PM.  Now it's 9:30AM the furnace just came on again and its about 50F.  If the rain stops, it will be good working weather. 

This constant drippy sky is very unusual for June here.  It's been 6 degrees cooler than normal. 

The garden is tentatively attempting to make a show.  The only thing really flourishing are the strawberries and the onions and the WEEDS.

peternap

Hot as He!!. It's been over 100 the last 3 days!

George Bush must have his window open again! >:(
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

considerations

Its STILL raining.  This is June for pity's sake.  No, it's pouring!  Sideways.  This is November weather, March weather.  Ergh  :(

glenn kangiser

Just reasonably nice - 80's - 90's.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

BiggKidd

Finally some releif insite. Out of the 100's and back into the high 80's tomorrow they tell me.  [cool] Its about time its not normally this hot here. & the heat just zaps my will to live. :( Not to mention it makes for short tempers.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

Redoverfarm

Had a thunderstorm pass through this evening and it dropped from 88F to 68F in just a hour or so. Now it is steady at 68F.  Might be able to work the full day tomarrow in the loft area for a change.  Waiting on Generator parts. I don't like to use a chainsaw and axe for something a circular saw would work for.  But Glenn is used to it. ;D

glenn kangiser

I barely break a sweat.

Ok.....so...... I sweat like a $2 whore sometimes.....  I'll admit it, but I do have A/C in the vehicles -- when I can afford gas or diesel.
[crz]

Drew

Temperatures in excess of 451 degrees in my neighborhood today.  The Orphir fire in Palermo is just west of our place.  25 - 40 mph winds from the northwest are causing perimeter control problems.  The folks on the fire information line don't know yet what the day holds except for more wind.

Here's a map of the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114588530322698785804.00044f54f04ff20ad9bb3&ll=39.427177,-121.541061&spn=0.096265,0.150375&z=13

We're all in the Bay Area right now, 3 hours away.  We don't have any animals at our place.  Everything we value up there has roots or posts.  It's a whole lot of wait and see.

The damage report in the news paper listed the number of homes, outbuildings, acres, and vehicles lost.  It also mentioned, "White [Butte County Fire] didn't know how many of the cars were operational."

What?  You mean we rednecks are supposed to keep our vehicles operational?  What's fun about that?  Where else are we supposed to make out at family reunions?

I am not going to watch the tube about this all day.  I'm going for a bike ride.

glenn kangiser

That's good Drew --- do the cars have back seats, or just make do with what you can?

One of our city police in Kerman locked himself in the back seat of his cruiser in a farmers field with a girl he'd picked up the night before.

No door handles in the inside of the back seat area on a police car. d* d* d*

Farmer found them in the morning.  Called  the other police and the newspaper I think.

Bet he's glad that  field wasn't on fire.

His wife was.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 11, 2008, 10:41:31 AM
That's good Drew --- do the cars have back seats, or just make do with what you can?

One of our city police in Kerman locked himself in the back seat of his cruiser in a farmers field with a girl he'd picked up the night before.

No door handles in the inside of the back seat area on a police car. d* d* d*

Farmer found them in the morning.  Called  the other police and the newspaper I think.

Bet he's glad that  field wasn't on fire.

His wife was.

rofl rofl rofl  Now THAT'S funny.  What a moron!

It was really hot a few days ago here, but it's been nice and cool the ppast couple of days... yesterday was only 92. ;)

ScottA

Rainy cool day today. I worked in Tulsa till noon then went by the cabin and ponded a few nails on the deck till the rain finaly ran me and Felix off. Hoping for a drier day tomorrow so I can get some work done on the cabin.

MountainDon

The forecast is for upper 90's, maybe 100 on Sunday. Can't wait to get back to the mountains.  :) 

We had to come back to town to get new springs for the trailer. After 28 and untold overloads a main leaf gave up and broke. Good thing it was on the trailing end. That and some folks here wanted to celebrate my birthday as well as father's day.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Huge storm rolled in around 10pm last night and it's still going. High winds, lightning and hail. So much lightning it sounded like a war zone all night. We hardly got any sleep. Our power was out for 14 hours. No idea how much rain but the lake is already full, it's still raining and there's more rain comming. I hope we don't end up like Iowa.

ScottA

More rain and storms today. I guess it's officialy the rainy season.

Redoverfarm

Really enjoyable working weather.  After a couple weeks ago during the heat wave of 94-96F it is enjoyable to be in the 70-74F range.  Nights dropped down to 40-42F.  Really need to work in side but I am taking advantage of the nice weather to get things done outside and hopefully I can hit the inside work while it is raining.  The cold weather also took away the haze that lingers with it. Visibility from the top of the mountain is great.

desdawg

113 here in the desert today. Global Warming is working well here.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.