How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

Cold and Icy again. This has been the coldest winter in years. Must be global warming making it colder.  :o

Drew

It says it's going to be 63 degrees today, bright and sunny.  I've got the last of the bug and a late meeting today or I'd go for a ride after work.   [yuk]

I kept busy yesterday by faxing over the RFQ for our irrigation pipe and fittings.  Lake Oroville Ace is 8 miles from our place, has very owner/builder friendly people, and has the best prices around.  For the cost of fuel they'll save me the hassle of going out and picking up the materials, all of which are too big for my shelled truck anyway.

Dan and I are going over the BCS tractor catalogs.  Oooh, sweet ride....

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tanya, my solution is to take a shower in water as hot as I wash dishes in until I'm red as a lobster.  Then I jump out, dry off, get dressed and run jump under the covers while I'm still warm... it's not so bad if I do that.  My poor husband doesn't have an ounce of fat on his body though, and he has the darndest time keeping warm.  He's been sleeping in a stocking hat and double layers of flannel PJs or sweats.  (We look a little like that kids' nursery rhyme about Jack Sprat... you know, "Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean, so between the two of them, they licked the platter clean..."

Scott, living up here really makes me question if there is ANY truth to "global warming" too!  This is the coldest winter since we've moved to WI.  It was especially cruel because the fall was actually nice and mild, with way more sunshine than we've seen since moving here.  On my computer, I have the forecast for OKC and the forecast here, and every time I look at it and compare, I can't wait to get back.  It's amazing how warm 40 degrees sounds after living here!!!  My husband has been bellyaching about the difference in the two forecasts and how that ours here will show four days of clouds and cold, and the OK forecast is four days of sunshine with relatively warm temperatures.

Redoverfarm

Got home yesterday evening after a weekend at my parents only to find that the power went out at 2P. We had been gone all weekend so no woodstove going.  Finally got it up to 65F in the stove area.  Woke up with outside temps of 8F.  Power company stated it would be 2P before restored.  Well that didn't happen until 6P. So 26hrs w/o power. I know it is no big deal for Off grids but on grid it is a pia. Wife left early with the kids to MIL to shower and work. Wasn't sure about the power thing so felt it best to let them stay where there was heat. Now it is snowing 26F forecast fortomarrow is F/rain and more snow tomarrow.  Welcome back home.

MountainDon

A cool thing about being off grid is coming home down a darkened street and seeing the warm glow of your own lights.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Don I don't really mind the dark it is just the heat.  When you are gone all weekend and the stove has burned out long ago it just takes a while to get it back up to living conditions.  Water is a little of a problem as well.  You might know that once I got locks on the cabin that I left the generator there instead of carting it down the mountain. Bad mistake d*

ScottA

Was yet another cold dank and frozen day. Never got above 30 and the north wind was howling all day. To make it worse I've been sick for a week. Starting to feel a little better but this weather is getting me down. They are promising sun tomorrow so I'll try and get out to work on the cabin a bit.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Drew

It's another week of beautiful weather (low 60s).  My internal optimist is saying we're having an early spring (To our northern and mountain friends, I am really not trying to be a jerk).  My internal pessimist (You wouldn't think so, but it's pretty crowded here in Drew's brain) says the sun will shine until I drive my truck down the hill.  Then it will rain 2 inches and I won't get my truck back up until August.

The irrigation trench is almost done and it's nearly time to resume work on the lodge.  As the musicians say, it's back to the "Joe job" to support the art.

Homegrown Tomatoes

It's the sun!!!  Been so long since I've seen it I almost forgot what it looks like.  Just seeing it makes me feel a little warmer.  But, it's still in the 20s for a high today.  Better than the -30 windchills, though!

glenn kangiser

was probably in the warm 50's here today but tonight the wind was whippen -- maybe 20 - 25 -- charged the batteries good and was even pumping water.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Pouring down rain again. This is more like april weather than febuary. Figures I decide to build something and the weather goes all wacky. Soon as this clears out I'll be busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

glenn kangiser

Oh, busier than a cat covering up crap, eh?, Scott.

ScottA

Since I'm not working today it's obvious that it's still RAINING! I'm getting sick of rain.  >:(

glenn kangiser

We have a week of it coming with a chance of snow Friday.

Drew

Yep, we've had the last of our good weather for a while.  It was good over the weekend but expected to rain through the next.

Catch as catch can.

MountainDon

95 here in NM today!

40 in the morning and 55 in the afternoon.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

58 in the hills. 26F in the morning and 32 in the day. Had about 1/2-1" of snow overnight.  Windy as all get out on the mountain.  But my roof is still there. ;D

ScottA

The good news: It's not raining

The bad news: It's snowing

The forcast for today: Sunshine

Do the weather guys ever look outside?

Redoverfarm

Scott that is usually how I do it here. Being there is so many mountain ranges surrounding me what forecast we get usually don't apply. They either stay to one side or the other.  It is really amazing how they disperse the weather patterns when the fronts get close.  So like you said I just look outside and cross my fingers.  We did get 1/4" of freezing rain last night and early am with temps in upper 20's now.  Have to wait until tomarrow to see what its going to be.

Drew

Rain.   :-[

Nothing but rain until Monday.

We're so close to finishing the irrigation system.  No, I am not amused by the irony of having my irrigation work rained out.  I also have to move a neighbor's fence off my property by about 20'.  I don't want to spend one of my workdays doing it, but like the old joke goes, "It looks like it's the bank that has the problem."  Scheduling the neighbor to work on it is hard, but my dad and I came up with a plan over dinner to be able to move the fence without letting the neighbor's cows out.

Give 'em a chance before they end up at the CAFO, grumble grumble...

I don't act very nice when I have to stay in.  I guess I can finish the bathroom and rearrange the living room so Dan and I aren't taking turns in the "good seat".

Stupid rain.

Homegrown Tomatoes

So far, we're having a heat wave today... it's up to 25 degrees, overcast and dreary.  Gotta go put more salt down and try to chop the ice off as the movers are coming at 8 in the morning! c*  I'll be so glad when we are on the road.

ScottA

Rain again today. I predict a drought will start as soon as I get my roof finnished.

MountainDon

Sunny, slight breeze, 50 F  , rained last night a little and snowed in the mountains

Drew

Rain.

Rain^3.

But I cut some PVC in the kitchen and made caps and a Nixon for the irrigation system.

The manifold has two elbows that stretch up and end in valves.  My dad said it looked like Nixon.  And lo they shall be called Nixons.