Poppy's 16x16 timber frame cabin

Started by poppy, June 24, 2009, 02:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

All right you guys......people cooked on these grates and other similar ironware for centuries until someone came up with the idea of putting the fire in a box and the pots on top.  Sheesh....(good for a giggle though, really.   ;D)

I'm pleased you found a grate...great! (ouch).  I which I had one, but no, just the bracket.  I have to get the pot crane fabricated, and I'm glad you posted a pic of yours. I would have done it differently and now I can see the logistical problems that I would have created. 

I also have an adjustable iron pot hook that works on a similar principal as the grate, but it has to have more headroom than I have in the Franklin.  I use it outside with a tripod set up over the fire. 

poppy

considerations
QuoteI'm pleased you found a grate
I only found one in the virtual world and I'm assuming the seller won't separate it from the Franklin.

If you need any details on my crane, I would be happy to get them for you once the weather breaks enough to make a trip out to the farm.

A project down the road will be to find a plain grate and get someone to fabricate a mounting bracket for it.  There's a local metal worker/ weld shop that can probably do the job.
QuoteSheesh....(good for a giggle though, really.   )
Hey, if we can't laugh, we can't live.

georgevacabin

Hey Poppy!

Got the same stove off of craigslist - $50!  A young couple inherited an older rowhome.  They were gutting the house and simply wanted the stove gone.  I did a temp install for hunting season 

It worked great - even with a tarp roof on.  However, it was a wood eater - probably because of my temp short stack!

poppy

Oh shoot George, I thought I had found the best Franklin fireplace deal.  :(

Glad it worked well for you.  I'm a little surprised that it drafted with such a short stack, but not surprised that it is a wood eater.

John Raabe

With open wall cavities and a poly roof you aren't exactly superinsulated. :D :D :D

None of us are as smart as all of us.

poppy

I've been having withdrawal not being able to spend any time at the farm and work on something.  :(

The combination of health issues, holidays, and cold weather have combined to stop any progress.  The only thing accomplished has been to prevent the "garage" from being damaged by wind and snow.

Speaking of which, here's what it looks like today outside the ole condo.

If the weather report is correct, I will need to take another trip out to clear some snow.

poppy

I don't know whether it is progress or not, but I have been spending a lot of time with Google SketchUp.

This is looking north.

TexstarJim

I'm shut down here too poppy.  Windchill down close to 0 day after day.  No snow, but plenty of bone-numbing cold.   Poppy, next time I tell you I'm thinking about building a house, you have my permission to give a swift kick in the pants. :)
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

poppy

Jim
Quoteyou have my permission to give a swift kick in the pants.
That sounds like fun, but I'm not allowed to travel that far, so you would have to come to me.  :D

After we got 6" of the "white death", I figured that the canvas garage would need to be relieved of it's load.

So after stopping by Wally World to get some lock unfreezer (gate locks were frozen up last visit) and a pair of gum boots, it was off to the farm.

The farm had about the same amount of snow as in the city.

The snow attempted to slide off, but didn't get very far.

I surely hope we don't get a big snow fall or my shelter will be toast.  Looks like I got a little fog on the lens.

The pond is probably ready for ice skating since it has been below freezing for about 3 weeks.

poppy

Didn't have much time, but did trek back the old farm road to the back NE corner to check on the logging operation.  The deer have more trails than I thought, all in a SE direction (the photo didn't show up good enough).

I was surprised that the loggers weren't working, but they have moved further into the back 40.  This view is from my back NE corner.

Just for fun, I took another shot of the tree for the future cruck blades, which just happens to be at the back corner.

Another just for fun shot.  This would be the winter view off my left shoulder while sitting on the throne if I decide to put a window there.  :P

considerations

"This would be the winter view off my left shoulder while sitting on the throne if I decide to put a window there."

Its a great view....I seem to remember Glenn saying he didn't even have walls around his throne for a while....I think it would be more enjoyable in the summer though.  ;D

poppy

For a combination of reasons, did not get any work done for the last month +.  Finally made it out to the farm for a little more effort on the floor framing.

Not a very exciting pic., but at least I got the rest of the blocking cut.  Still need to install most of them.

poppy

Spent all day at an auction on Wheatridge which is one ridge north of my farm.  This was from the estate of a doctor who lived in a surburb of Cincinnati and had a country log cabin.  Go here if you want to see auction items and several shots of the inside and ourside of the cabin.
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=786262&kwd=&zip=45693&category=0

The auction was held at an Amish saw mill and several Amish came, but fewer than I expected. There were literally several thousand items and I left after 5 hours of selling with only one auctioneer not taking any breaks.  :o

This was my tool haul.  As luck would have it, the guy sitting beside me operated a timber framing business and he helped me with some of the items.

He told me that the adze was a ship builders variety.  The auctioneer called the long thing a spud bar but when I said it looked like a debarker, my new timber frame buddy agreed with me. 

I bid on a nice 3" slick, but dropped out at $75; it went for $85 which is probably a good deal, but I already have a 2" slick sans handle that cost me $7 at a previous auction.  ;D

There were tons of deals at this auction; wood stoves, crocks, anvils, oil lamps, many old tools, etc.

poppy

Auction Part II

Although I went for the tools, I came home with some other cabin items; couldn't resist.  :D

The kettle has "Zanesville" on it and that's where my sister lives, plus Zanes Trace and all that...  The iron with the removeable wood handle was just like my grandma used by heating them up on the kitchen wood stove.

My mom used one of those wash boards.

And for the coup de grace.

Kind of looks like the enclosure was made from T&G siding or something??

poppy

And for some vista shots on the way to and fro on auction day.

I have a caption in mind, but I thought I'd give you guys and gals a chance at it.  Caption that photo. [waiting]

One of the few, if not the only active covered bridge in Adams county.

Everybody slows down going over this one-lane bridge.  It's a leap of faith to trust the wooden deck.  ;)

Redoverfarm

Poppy looks like some very nice antiques.  What did the cabin bring?

ben2go

Nice buy.I love those old covered bridges.

Beavers

Wow!  I would of loved to be at that auction...could of spent a years pay on all that cool stuff!  ;D

Looks like you scored some nice tools.  [cool]

With all these cool auctions you find, maybe you could you start Poppy's auction service, and bid on stuff for those of us that can't make it to the auction.  ;D

PEG688

Quote from: poppy on January 23, 2010, 07:57:54 PM

One of the few, if not the only active covered bridge in Adams county.

Everybody slows down going over this one-lane bridge.  It's a leap of faith to trust the wooden deck.  ;)

Think of the stress-es that bridge is under, all twisted like that :o

It's a wonder the county keeps it open.

Nice score at the auction, lots of old stuff still kicking around back your way.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Quote from: considerations on January 08, 2010, 09:46:00 PM
"This would be the winter view off my left shoulder while sitting on the throne if I decide to put a window there."

Its a great view....I seem to remember Glenn saying he didn't even have walls around his throne for a while....I think it would be more enjoyable in the summer though.  ;D

Very true... I remember the moonshine... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: poppy on January 23, 2010, 06:35:02 PM
Spent all day at an auction on Wheatridge which is one ridge north of my farm.  This was from the estate of a doctor who lived in a surburb of Cincinnati and had a country log cabin.  Go here if you want to see auction items and several shots of the inside and ourside of the cabin.
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=786262&kwd=&zip=45693&category=0

The auction was held at an Amish saw mill and several Amish came, but fewer than I expected. There were literally several thousand items and I left after 5 hours of selling with only one auctioneer not taking any breaks.  :o

This was my tool haul.  As luck would have it, the guy sitting beside me operated a timber framing business and he helped me with some of the items.

He told me that the adze was a ship builders variety.  The auctioneer called the long thing a spud bar but when I said it looked like a debarker, my new timber frame buddy agreed with me. 

I bid on a nice 3" slick, but dropped out at $75; it went for $85 which is probably a good deal, but I already have a 2" slick sans handle that cost me $7 at a previous auction.  ;D

There were tons of deals at this auction; wood stoves, crocks, anvils, oil lamps, many old tools, etc.

Poppy, the debarker is often called a peeling spud so may likely be the same thing.

http://www.aloghomestore.com/nl-toolsotrade.html
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

That's a fine example of a Burr arch covered bridge, nice pics
A couple of other names for some of your tools. I call the adze a "lipped adze" with the upturned edges. If it becomes a full curve like the one on your bark spud I call it a gutter adze.

http://www.gransfors.us/AncientAxeBook.pdf

poppy

John
QuoteWhat did the cabin bring?

As far as I know, the cabin has not yet been sold.  There is another auction comming up for this estate. It will include the remaining antiques that are still in the city house plus left over's from yesterday's auction.

This doctor had over 40 years worth of collections and several of them were really rare and valuable, plus he had mulitples of some items.

For example, he was big into knapping hammers and had about 25 of them.

poppy

ben
QuoteNice buy.I love those old covered bridges.
Thanks, but just to be clear, I didn't buy the bridge.  ;)

poppy

Beavers
QuoteLooks like you scored some nice tools. 

With all these cool auctions you find, maybe you could you start Poppy's auction service, and bid on stuff for those of us that can't make it to the auction. 
Thanks, this was one of the best auctions with old tools that I have ever been to.  There is an annual old tool auction down the road from where this one was that has many very good old tools, but there are fewer items overall, each tool is sold separately, and the prices tend to be higher.

With yesterday's auction, there were so many items in general and so many examples of some types of items, that deals were had in most catajories.

I would love to bid with other people's money (OPM Limited), but there would have to be some hard and fast rules.  In other words,  I would need to be free to bid hard and fast with high limits.  :)