How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

That 12K must weigh in a tad heavy too.

Costco, Sam's Club and others have 8,000 pounders, made in China for just under $400. I believe even Warn has their name on one.

Here's a great helper... It works too. A friend I wheel with owns one and used it in UT once a number of years ago, on his Cherokee, when he was off by himself.

You could probably make one. There are several different size models from ATV up to a 14,000 pounder.

Click for  PullPal

If you can dig a hole, burying the spare tire works too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

That looks like a good idea.  Yeah - the 12000 lb winch is heavy - can't find the manf.  online but find references to them -- probably closed down.  Desert Dynamics, Hesperia, CA.  I used to truck past there.  Bought it then.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Today was absolutely gorgeous... sun even showed up and stayed around all day.  Really pretty sunset.  Kids played outside all afternoon.  It was around 35 degrees and there wasn't any wind to speak of.  Really nice.  Wish winter here had more days like this... wouldn't mind living here so much if it did. 

Crazy lady didn't even come by to stalk our dog today, or at least we didn't see her or hear about it.  Tomorrow is supposed to be above freezing too, so I'm going to let him stay out all day tomorrow, too, while he has a chance.  Saw some nut on the next block over come out on his back porch in his boxers and flip-flops to smoke a cigarrette... it was warm but not THAT warm... and besides, there are some guys who really should just keep their shirts on, no matter the weather.  Not all the snow melted, but hopefully most of it will tomorrow and the next day because after that it is supposed to be cold again.

Drew

It rained plenty this weekend out here on the coast.  Dan and I drove up to Point Reyes Station to see the Joel Salatin lecture and got stuck on highway 1 while Cal Trans cleared it.  We were late, but only for the local food tasting.  Joel assured us that we hadn't missed his talk, shook my hand and signed our books.

I remember when my heroes were musicians.   :D

After the talk we bought some eggs at the butcher shop.  $7 per dozen.  It seems bit upside down when we pay gold rush prices for low tech eggs, but that's just the kind of trouble we're in now.  Then again, maybe a good egg is actually worth 58 cents.  Other farmers I know say it costs $6/doz. to turn a small profit with a CSA (i.e., no store front) model.

On Sunday I was in the barn at the Pacifica 4H club farm talking to six families on a pastured laying hen project I'll be leading.  I brought some of my $7 eggs.  The mantra was Sustainability, Responsibility, and Capitalism.  They can't wait to get started!

I have a line on some Santeria rescue chickens for our flock.  Birds escaping religious persecution (sort of).  I love it!

We also started remodeling a long-suffering bathroom.  This is good rainy weather work.

More rain all week.  It might taper off enough for us to trench this coming weekend!

glenn kangiser

Snow again right now.  2+ inches.  Barometer is rising - maybe it'll quit.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

A good day to work. Started out @ 16F but by afternoon it raised to 43F. Sunny. Then the mud started to surface.  Well at least it is not snow. Forecast 80% rain tomarrow.

fishing_guy

43 F today here in sunny Minnesota. :D  -10F forecast for tomorrow night :(

I'm ready for spring!
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

glenn kangiser

Got the snow plow on the Bush Hog just in time for the snow to all be melted, but I'm ready for the next one and it is great for cleaning the ditches so the water doesn't get under the road and break the pavement.

Looking for snow tomorrow night and Wednesday with lows to 23.

StinkerBell

Snowed here today. The kiddos enjoyed the day off off from school.

tanya

Zero here this morning I shoveled snow day before yesterday but the big storm that hit about a hundred miles away missed us!!!  It is so cold here though I am very ready for some warmer temps. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

tanya

It has been so cold here that the pipes to my my washer are frozen and so far I have not been able to thaw them out.  I did manage to do the laundry though I jsut filled up buckets to fillthe washer up once it was full enough the washer turned on and washed the clothes and the drain is working fine then it stopped again and waited for me to add enough rinse water to run and then it rinsed the clothes too!!!  This saved me the trip to the laundry mat.  I htought I should post my strategy in case anybody else has a frozen washer and doesn't want to go to the laundry mat.  You might want to make usre the drain is still open though before filling the washer. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Mid 40s here today... feels great but looks gloomy.  It's supposed to get cold again by tomorrow.  Darn it. I think the high tomorrow is 23.  Girls got all excited this morning when they got up and looked out because all the snow was gone.   Every time we have a thaw in the winter, they get excited and think spring is here.

MountainDon

We have a snow day. A bit of a storm blew thru overnight and left the roads covered with a little icy snow, and the the schools all closed up shop for the day. I know if this was back home it would just be a blip. But here in the desert we have few snow plows or road sanders.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

It's amazing.  The field across the road has gone from solid white yesterday to muddy brown, and now it looks like it is covered with a bright green mist.  Amazing how quickly it greens up here when there are a few days of nice weather.  Of course our yard is still a brown mess because we never got all the leaves cleaned up in the fall... it's covered in soggy rotting leaves.  Maybe the kids and I need to go rake it today.  :)  It'd be nice to get out some.

ScottA

Morning started out warm and sunny in the mid 50's. Now it's down in the 30's cloudy and a north wind is howling. Decided to call it a day early and came home for lunch.

Drew

It hit 108 today.  I broke my shovel trying to dig a post hole in the china plate I call my field.  I hate sunscreen but I hate cancer even more.

Oh wait.  That's my post for July.

It's 49 degrees today and more rain on the way.  I probably won't get to go to the farm and work this weekend because of a new storm.  I think it's a conspiracy by the USDA in an attempt to destroy the local food agenda.

Redoverfarm

Freezing rain early in the AM. Kid had a 2 hour delay in school. I delayed as well until it warmed up enough to make the ice melt some. Didn't pay too much attention to the temps although one time I looked it was 43F. The started to rain for about 1/2 hour. Got 10 windows installed though. Worked til dark. I hate picking up tools with a flashlight.

sparks

It was around 46F at noon. 3F and dropping now. Gusts to 40MPH. And dropping to -8F overnight. Brrrrr.
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Drew on January 29, 2008, 01:06:20 PM
It hit 108 today.  I broke my shovel trying to dig a post hole in the china plate I call my field.  I hate sunscreen but I hate cancer even more.

Oh wait.  That's my post for July.

It's 49 degrees today and more rain on the way.  I probably won't get to go to the farm and work this weekend because of a new storm.  I think it's a conspiracy by the USDA in an attempt to destroy the local food agenda.

Reminds me of old -- what was it -- Windows 95 problems -- crosslinked Data -- why don't we have that one anymore?

Now you are beginning to understand, Drew --  Sometimes it's just great to know isn't it. :)

Drew

According to French and Raven there are 5 kinds of power: Reward, coercive, legitimate, referent, and expert.  Each has the potential for corruption but, in my opinion, none has so much in practice as legitimate power.

Well, this week our rain needs are definitely being met.

Windows 95.  That was the last Microsoft Beta I ever participated in.  That is unless you count their current product releases that phone home every time they crash.

Man, I think I need some ice cream or something.

glenn kangiser

I did the Win95 Beta and MSN Beta and Norton Utilities all at the same time - about the time for the Win95 release -- came within minutes of passing the MCSE? test but decided I could never wear a suit. 

Snowed another inch or so last night - other had left and was replaced. 36.1 out.  A little sun.

You have the corruption right.  It starts in the small towns and is perfected by the time they reach big office.  Don't get me wrong though -- they do just fine in the small towns.  Our story - http://www.lycaeum.org/books/books/last_circle/1.htm

QuoteMan, I think I need some ice cream or something.

What flavor?

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yesterday was balmy and all the snow had melted.  It made it up to 52 degrees and was dreary and rainy.  Around suppertime, I was cooking dinner when all the sudden a pain shot up my right arm...sure signal of weather coming in.  Within minutes the wind was screaming around the house and the temperature had dropped to 19 degrees and was continuing to plummet.  The wind just howled all night long, like the freight trains that come by every fifteen minutes, only louder and constant.  Couldn't sleep worth a darn with that racket and aching all over from the cold front.  I looked out around 10 PM, and it was a swirling wall of whiteness, and I was sure we'd wake up with snow to the windows this morning, but it must have blown all the way to Canada... there's only an inch or two on the ground.  But boy, is it cold!  It hasn't even gotten up to 10 degrees this morning.

Sassy

we had snow again last night...  was 35 degrees earlier this am - now 43 - clouds & sun - the sky gets blue & then you see all the chemtrail grids all over the sky & in the next few minutes it's all clouded up again  >:(
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Drew

That's an intense story, Glenn.  One of the joys of rural living and over the counter cold medicine.

The sun is actually staying out for a while here.  Go figure.

Sometimes when I'm in Home Depot and in a bad mood I turn to Dan and say, "Wow.  How much meth do we have to cook to afford one of those?"

Yeah, I'm funny like poison oak sometimes.   d*

glenn kangiser

It's an interesting real life wild west story.  Did you get all the way through it?

We live above and within sight of the airport.  We know a guy who took photos of the planes loading and hauling the cargo out.  Government from local clear to the Whitehouse was in on it.  Others have confirmed different parts of the story.

That story has never been solved.  Part of the Iran Contra thing and went all the way to Washington DC.  Investigative reporter who wrote it had to go into hiding and change her name. 

Sheriffs still cooking Meth? -- I don't think so..the Indians were pretty ticked about being slave labor for that,  but I heard they were still having bonuses up to a few years ago and the Son-in-law of Paige just retired as head Sheriff.  Seemed nice enough in public.  I've heard otherwise but you never know and don't dare ask.  I heard that they shred and bury the dope now so they don't make toxic smoke.  X marks the spot?

The one who wanted to straighten out the department was found at the bottom of the lake 10 years later.  Lots of others retired right after he hit the bottom of the lake.

Son of Paige retired last year. 

Are we straight?  Who knows?  Sheriff dept animal control lady was jailed for selling meth from the Sheriff animal control truck last year.  Was she with us or with them.  I won't ask. :)

Wind is blowing a little -- free electricity.  I cleaned the snow off of the solar panels today - picked up from 24 watts on one half of the panels to 224 watts immediately.  I need to build racks for them.

Currently 36.1 out and weather is looking better for a day or so.  Was cold but decent today.

Join law enforcement Drew and the cooking, harvesting and packaging will already be done for you.

Poison Oak is one of my favorite plants.  Looks nice all summer and keeps the riff-raff away. [crz]