14x24 1 story in Northern Arkansas

Started by Taylor, November 21, 2008, 08:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Taylor

Thanks Guys, that spot is about 40 miles from my house down between Calico Rock and Mountain View. I will be sure to get some pictures this spring when everything doesn't look so dead.

Yeah, I love the jeep. It will go every where I want it to, and there is some pretty hairy spots on the trails.

Thanks

Taylor

NM_Shooter

Is that the overlook of the North Fork of the white river below Norfolk lake? 

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Taylor

It is just the white river, south of calico rock.

Taylor

Taylor

Progress!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

My helper came over today and we finished of the roof framing, it was in the mid 20's and slight snow flurries but it is all framed up. We are supposed to get some winter weather in the next couple of days then it will be back in the 50's so I can get the tar paper and frame my gable end.

The black stuff on top is just a scrap strip of tar paper to keep the snow out of the gap for now.

From the inside:

Thanks

Taylor

Redoverfarm

Good Job Taylor.  I see you worked it out.  Don't forget the "ice guard" for the valleys.

Taylor

Thanks Redoverfarm

One side was easy to cut with my compound miter saw, but the other side I had to use a skill saw because my miter saw only tilts to one side and doesn't go to 60 degrees so it took some thought to use, lol.  ???

Now I need to get my eves framed in on the shed sides and remove some shingles so I can get my rubber membrane down for my valley and get tar paper up. After that and getting gables framed in and house wrap everything then I am going to shingle the roof, so it will pretty much be dried in.

I was wondering when I get to insulating the floor can I use left over house wrap to put along the bottom of the joist, kinda of like a mobile home? Help keep bugs and stuff out.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

I was playing around with photoshop and here is a panorama picture from the bluffs. I wish I would have thought about it when I was there and I would have taken more, but next I will so I can have a big picture.

Taylor

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Taylor

Yea, Actually the river there last spring was much much higher during record floods. Closed down the Hwy through there too.

Here is a picture of the bridge right down from there:

The river much lower but not all the way back down:

Taylor

glenn kangiser

That always bothers me - I don't like to build in those areas.  I had a customer build a pad 4 feet high - he protested but did it.  We built his building there and many times it would have been flooded if he had not raised the pad.  I think he may have been happy he did.

zion-diy

The floating house belonged to a friend of mine. He's still a little testy when I mention how nice the the roofing held up.
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

NM_Shooter

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 26, 2009, 01:55:59 AM
That always bothers me - I don't like to build in those areas.  I had a customer build a pad 4 feet high - he protested but did it.  We built his building there and many times it would have been flooded if he had not raised the pad.  I think he may have been happy he did.

A lot of the flooding that was caused there was due to the Corps of Eng. opening all of the flood gates on Norfolk Lake Dam.  It darn near scrubbed the valley clean.  A friend of mine that I grew up with sent me some pictures of the dam with all the gates open.  I'm going to see if I can find some of the pix.  Pretty amazing sight.

Here's a video:  http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=zOIujk-jfTY

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

zion-diy

NM shooter, It was an awe inspiring sight when they had all the gates open. We motorcycled over the top the day before they opened the gates. I swear I could reach over the guardrail and touch the water. It was pretty scarey, thinking they might lose this dam. next morning they opened the gates. we drove back to watch and feel the spray.later in the day we decided to drive hwy 5 back to Calico Rock. made it all the way to the park outside town. Had to turn back cause that whole part of town was under water :o
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

Taylor

Here is a panorama picture from my front yard of the ice. I also lost power this morning about the time I got up this morning, so I am running off generator for now until I run out of gas, then I am going to have to go to the gas station.

Taylor

glenn kangiser

That was a lot of water.  Fresno has a dam that has been leaking for years.  Some day it may come to town.

Taylor

Here is a picture of my house to be covered in ice. Still no power, they say it will be several days to weeks before it is all restored. I am staying in my mom's 5th wheel and just filled the propane tanks up so I am nice and warm, and I run the generator some to have internet and tv. The only thing that sucks is the hot water heater is leaking some were so I have to block it off so I only have cold water, but that is a lot better than most have.

Taylor

Redoverfarm

Taylor it looks like you will have to wait for the spring thaw to finish the roof. ;D  I guess it is hard w/o hot water.  Glad we didn't get what was predicted or we might be in the same shape.

Taylor

Yeah I know what you mean. They are saying something about it be in the 50's in a week, so maybe I can get some tar paper on there. I plan on pulling the water heater out tomorrow and look at it, I think the aluminum tank has a hole in it but I can't really see. If it does have a hole do you all think it can be welded?
My heater has a hose that goes over the water tank so the water isn't real cold, warm enough to take a quick shower, but it is going to be cold.

My father in law lives about 7 miles away, he doesn't have power but has water and gas water heater, so I could go take a hot shower there, but the water company doesn't have power and they don't know how long it is going to last.

I am glad I don't have any trees in my yard.
Here are a couple of pictures from next door at my dad's house. The trees ripped the power meter off the side of the house. All the oak trees in the front yard are never going to look the same.
It was kind of scare trying to fall asleep and then BOOM there goes a limb, there is one oak tree about 30' from the 5th wheel that lots a couple of limbs.

Taylor

Terry

Taylor, How are you doing? It's been a week since we have heard from you. I'm wondering if you're still thawing out from the ice storm and still don't have power? The pics of the ice is beautiful however not much fun, I'm sure.

We are close (Greers Ferry) but didn't get the ice as you did. Hope you and family are doing ok. My prayers are with you.
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

Taylor

I am on day 7 without power, had to go stay with my dad and his wife and her mom, I think staying there with no power was better, lol. I even went and took a nap over at my house in the cold today for some quiet, lol. There are about 6 broken poles for the circuit I am on and there are only probably 15 of us on that circuit so who knows how long till I get power, they are hoping for all of power to be restored by the end of the month but they don't have a clue. I have electricity through a Co-Op, I wish I had Entergy because the got their power back up on my road today but their service ends about 1/4 mile from my house.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

I am thinking about getting a gas fire place for my house now. I saw Lowes has a 20k BTU all in one on sale for $180ish from $450, but it is a Vent-Free, is there any major problems with that or would I be ok as long as I get a carbon monoxide detector?

Thanks

Taylor

Terry

Glad to hear you're ok. Sorry to hear about the no power yet. Just heard on the news that Entergy still has 32,000 customers without power and the Electric Co op still has 60,000 without.  :(  I really feel for you guys up north.

We loved our gas (butane) fire place in the house we sold a couple years ago. I can't remember if it was ventless though  ??? I've slept since then and hubby is not home yet to ask. So, I'm not much help but I'll let you know when I find out.

Hope you get your power on soon; and, good to hear from you.
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

river place

Hope you get the power on soon!  While we live in Dallas TX our build place is in Pencil Bluff AR which didn't get much ice at all.

I've heard the ventless units can cause the build up of excessive moisture in rooms.  I'm also not sure how they deal with CO.  We're going to go with vented units running on propane.  Have a vented cast iron fireplace but not installed yet.