14x24 1 story in Northern Arkansas

Started by Taylor, November 21, 2008, 08:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Soomb: Something like this:

I know what you mean about the kitchen on the left. The wife really likes it on the right, might have to let her know how much easier it would be on the left.

Thanks

Taylor

soomb

Selling points:  Less work, get up and morning coffee is right there (well with a small place, that will get you a stare), as you expand, the TV is further away from the bed room wall so one can sleep in on the weekend and not be disturbed by the other watching morning TV.  Or you could do as I would  "yes dear". ;D
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

ScottA

Taylor

Alright we are going to go with the last one with the kitchen on the left. Now I will have to modify my window framing between the two front windows, since on is 3' high and the other 4'.

Thanks

Taylor

ScottA

Don't be affraid to change things. I had like 10k redesigns on my so far.  :-[

BTW In one version you had the bath by the living area. Put that with the left kitchen and I think you got a winner. That way a guest wouldn't need to walk through your bedroom to use the restroom. Also puts the plumbing closer together.

glenn kangiser

It would be a real pain if you had a guest or two and you wanted to sleep in and they had to shower or do a doodoo.  They would have to go through the bedroom.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Taylor

Yeah the only guest that I have is my mom and she has a fifth-wheel trailer to stay in, or than that I don't have any other guest. I do really like having a bathroom in the bedroom for the late night call of nature.

Thanks

Taylor

soomb

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 13, 2009, 09:46:49 PM
It would be a real pain if you had a guest or two and you wanted to sleep in and they had to shower or do a doodoo.  They would have to go through the bedroom.
Glenn: could you cut down on the foul language?  How about we say Kaka or poopoo and save the harsh words for the job site?

glenn kangiser

Sorry, soomb.  I have referred to it as making a new brother or welder or (insert trade of your choice here). [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bayview

Here is a plan I had previously worked. . . Similar to what you are doing. . . (Yes, I have no life) ;)

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

soomb

Bayview: are those both via SketchUp?

bayview

Quote from: soomb on January 13, 2009, 11:38:43 PM
Bayview: are those both via SketchUp?

3D Home Architect Deluxe  Ver. 2.1  - Installed March 13, 1997

I have had over ten years of dreams . . .  ;)
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Taylor

Bayview: That is a really nice floor plan. Looks like both sides are 14' wide, I would try it but my bedroom "wing" is only 12' and it would start to get a little tight.

I got a puppy today and thought I would share. His name is Jack and is a full-blood Australian Shepherd and about 5 1/2 weeks old. Hopefully he will enjoy living with us out in the country.

I haven't really got to do anything on the house. My toe still hurts pretty bad walking around much. But it was warm the other day so I felt I needed to work some, but by the time I got all the tools out and got started I got one the boards that the rafter nail to on the bottom of the valley and then it started getting cold and windy so I had to stop.

It is warm today but the wind is blow 20-30mph and then tomorrow it is going to be 25 high and 4 low so I think I am going to stay inside, lol. Saturday the weather looks nice so maybe I can get it finished up and I can start my 4' extension on the back of the shed.

Thanks

Taylor

Redoverfarm

Taylor he sort of looks like a border collie.  The Australian Shepherd we had was basic white with black & brown patches.  Had weird eyes.  They were split eyes (blue & brown) but each eye was spit differently( one horizontal and the other verticle).  Good dog and smart.  Had some stray bear dogs hanging around one year and he left with them one season and never returned.  That was just after I spent $700 on him to an injury he got in the barbed wire.

Terry

Taylor, The puppy is sooo cute! Will it be an inside or outside dog? If inside, potty training is something to look forward to and alot of fun.  ::)
Hope your foot gets better soon so you can get back to working on the house. I really enjoy reading your post and looking at your progress on the house. Oh by the way, we're almost neighbors.  :)
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

bayview

Quote from: Taylor on January 14, 2009, 02:00:10 PM
Bayview: That is a really nice floor plan. Looks like both sides are 14' wide, I would try it but my bedroom "wing" is only 12' and it would start to get a little tight.

Ok Taylor,  I flipped it around and made the bedroom wing 12 ft.
\

Taylor

Redoverfarm : He was the only one out of the litter that was mostly black, the other black ones had a lot of white and tan and there was a couple of merle( multi-colored) they were all ready taken. Sorry to hear about your dog.

Terry: He will be inside and outside dog. I have a giant dog crate for him to stay in when we aren't watching him, so I hope that helps, if not he might be an outside dog, lol.

bayviewps: You must like designing floor plans like I do, I don't know how many different plans I have done. That looks pretty good there. The only problem I think I would have is the wall between the kitchen and bath is a load bearing wall. And when I framed up my door opening in it I set it over from the right wall a little bit so I only have about 7'6" from the left wall to the door frame and I think that would be to small for a bath, so I would have to reframe that wall with a header for the opening. I wonder if I could double up the ceiling joist where the rafters/joist meet it and use some hangers to support them over that opening, but I don't know.

But I might have to look in to doing that since all the plumbing is right there in one spot.

Thank you all for the comments.

Taylor

Redoverfarm

Taylor if you haven't had that kind of dog before.  Beware as they along with Border Coliies, Australian Cattle dog(blue or red heelers) are a bundle of energy.  They need constant exercise and don't do well in kennels.  They are devoted and very smart dogs.  Good Luck

Taylor

I had one before that was part board collie and part aussie, she diffidently didn't like being pinned up at all. I am just going to use the kennel for a little while, until he is big enough to stay outside when we aren't here. I am home most of the time anyways so he will pretty much be in there when we are asleep. I live out in the county so he can run around unpinned.

Thanks

Taylor

soomb

Quote from: bayviewps on January 14, 2009, 06:50:57 PM
Quote from: Taylor on January 14, 2009, 02:00:10 PM

Ok Taylor,  I flipped it around and made the bedroom wing 12 ft.
\
BayView:  I hope you don't mind that I snapped your layout into EverNote for the future.  I am working on sketch-up to develop my first attempt, "an ATV shed" for land we are looking at.  I had the lay out as one long rectangle and was not sure, with the lay out I had, how or where to add on in the future.  Your design would allow an easy addition of another bedroom to the lower portion of the sketch where the door is now.  AND since I am following BishopKnight and SpeedFunk as they use earth berm designs, the left had side is window free and could be earth bermed.

Taylor, sorry for the short hijack, but I had to say thank you to you both as this has helped me stop thinking of longer and longer rectangles.

Craig

Taylor

No problem soomb. I wanted to make sure I didn't have a long rectangle because I didn't want it to look like a mobile home since it is the same width as them.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

Yet another idea we had, well it is a different version of a idea I had. We really like it. It has lots of storage in the kitchen with the full height cabinets.

Thanks

Taylor

bayview

Quote from: soomb on January 15, 2009, 11:20:20 AM

BayView:  I hope you don't mind that I snapped your layout into EverNote for the future.  I am working on sketch-up to develop my first attempt, "an ATV shed" for land we are looking at.  I had the lay out as one long rectangle and was not sure, with the lay out I had, how or where to add on in the future.  Your design would allow an easy addition of another bedroom to the lower portion of the sketch where the door is now.  AND since I am following BishopKnight and SpeedFunk as they use earth berm designs, the left had side is window free and could be earth bermed.

Craig

I hope it helps you.  Keep us informed on your progress!

NM_Shooter

Build update?  How's the weather there?  Getting snowed on?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Taylor

I haven't really felt like climbing up on the roof and my toe still hurts, so I haven't gotten anything done like I should. The weather was nice yesterday. Mid 60's hardly any wind, but instead of working on the roof, I went wheelin' at the national forest in my jeep.
The weather wasn't to bad today and I planed on working but my helper couldn't come so I will probably have to work this weekend on it when it is in the 30's, lol. No snow, but they are saying something about some snow next week but they never know.

Thanks for checking in. I did decide about 99% sure I am going to go with the last floor plan I posted.

Since everyone loves pictures, here are some picture form my wheelin' trip.

Add here is just some scenery from the national forest:

My wife, I kept telling to her walk out farther because of the tree but she wasn't going any farther.

View from the bluff

Creeks along the trails

Thanks

Taylor