Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

dmlsr

Worked doing  pluming today. We are using Pex ,hope to have it done next weekend. Will take pic's then
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

dmlsr

Well we had a good weekend. We got the roof on, plumbing done.

We have running hot and cold running water. NICE!!!!!!!!

I only have a couple of pic's, batterys in camera died (my son told me they where low but i did not listen)

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

dmlsr

well got back working in the bathroom
here are a couple of pic's
hope to get it done next weekend

Thank you for looking
Dave

dmlsr

pretty good weekend. Alex got the all the  railing done on the front porch. I got the trim done in the bathroom. Also made and install back screen door.

weather stick

Thank you for looking
Dave

ScottA

You guys have done an amazing job. I love it.  [cool]

considerations

The toilet paper holder.....I can't BEAR it!    rofl   The place looks really great you guys!  Congrats!

peteh2833

What size built up beams did you use on top of the piers?? Also what size floor joists?? Thanks. Looks great.
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Sassy

Looks just like a cabin I'd like to stay in!  Very nice - the porch & trim in the bathroom really are a nice finishing touch... 

OK, what is a weather stick?  And what does it do?   ???
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Alasdair

Thanks for sharing your project. I have really enjoyed watching your progress. Great results - an inspiration! [cool]

Al

dmlsr

Peteh  i dont recall but i will be up there this weekend and i will check and post it here .

Sassy , when it is pointing up it is going to be nice out. When pointing down it is going to rain. Best of all it works

Thank you for looking
Dave

peteh2833

Thanks. I'm building a 20x30 1.5 story with a center steel beam and the built up beams will sit right on my poured concrete 10" piers. My floor joist will only be spanning 10 feet. Johns plans call for 3 2x12's with plywood for the built up beams.
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

dmlsr

peteh

the beam is 2x8 with plywood . It only spans 6 feet pier  to pier. the floor joist are also 2x8's

any ???? just ask

Thank you for looking
Dave

peteh2833

Thanks. I just ordered all the wood to pretty much get it dried in. It is being deliverd July 15. I'll keep you posted and if I have any ?'s I'll be sure to ask. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

TheWire

How is your composting toilet working?

dmlsr

Working good. no troubles. Do you have one???

Thank you for looking
Dave

peteh2833

Dave, did you insulate your floor? If so how and when did you do it? Is it rodent proof?
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

dmlsr

Thank you for looking
Dave

peteh2833

Thanks, any ideas on what you are going to do????
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

dmlsr

i was thinking about Foam Board Insulation. but thats down the road a little bit

Thank you for looking
Dave

peteh2833

Would you be placing the foam board insulation in between the joists? Any thing else? Will mice eat through it???
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

Just to poke my 0.02 in here...  Mice can chew through pretty much anything if they think there might be something of interest on the other side. Also remember, they are rodents and rodents have to chew to keep their tooth length in check. About the only thing that will keep them out for certain is 1/4" or smaller hardware cloth or metal plate, although wood sheathing with caulked seams and holes should do the job. A periodic inspection would find any signs of attempted ingress.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peteh2833

I guess you could put plywood up with vents cut into it.
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

How about plywood or sheets of soffit material with strips of hardware cloth between panels.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dmlsr

Thank you for looking
Dave