14x36 in Northwest Arkansas

Started by jdhen, August 06, 2009, 06:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainDog

That's great, that's really great. Can I ask the approximate dimensions of your bathroom downstairs, and the two rooms upstairs?

Great placement of the stove. This is just perfect. Thanks so much for the photos.

Parks
NE OK

Redoverfarm

jdhen nice job on the floor.  If at all possible I would leave the black pipe until it reaches the transition to the ceiling box. You will be surprised at how much heat will be generated off of it to the other portions of the rooms.  

Nice orderly work space.  I know that doesn't happen on it's own.  Don't worry about a few extra 2X's.  If that is your biggest loss in the build you will quickly forget about it. ;D  Good Job

jdhen

Muldoon- I like the woodstove too!  I've only had closed woodstoves and the addition of the window is really nice.  I can't believe how well a high efficiency stove works!  The air movement is very controlled and allows all the wood to catch very easily.  The secondary burn chamber almost completely rids the stove of smoke.  I suppose any stove would be an improvement over the giant, very inefficient stove I currently use!
yes the oxalic acid is what I was referring too.  I'm trying to decide if I need to clean the beams before putting a dark stain on them.  Originally, I was going to try to clean the water stains off and leave them natural but we've decided that a dark stain will contrast nicely with the loft floor.  I suppose if I don't "bleach" them first I may have a few areas where the actual walnut stain will appear darker.  I just don't want to go to the expense and time if the effect of cleaning them won't be that noticeable.

Raindog- thanks for the compliment.   As you can imagine, the bathroom is long and slender at 12x6.  Actually it's a little less than 6 ft.  It feels sort of like a hallway with bathroom fixtures!  The house that I'm living in now has a bathroom with similar dimensions so I know it will work for me.  The rooms upstairs are 13x16 and 13x12.  I can stand within 32 inches of the outer wall so I only net 8x the long dimension.  I was surprised by how large the rooms feel.  I really was expecting it to feel cramped but I'm very happy with it.

Red-I'm glad you like the floor.  You had asked for pics before but I'd forgotten to respond that they still weren't done yet.  When I made the change from walkway between the two rooms to adding the closet space I ran out of materials and had to order more.  I just placed the last few sticks this week before doing the wall framing.  Your suggestions made putting the floor down much easier.  Thanks.
Really glad you noticed the work space!  I spent the better part of the morning cleaning!  It was getting to the point where I couldn't walk around without tripping over something.  I now plan to clean as I go so it won't become such an overwhelming job!
I do like the black pipe and I think that the clearances are adequate to prevent any problems but I'll monitor it closely.  So far it would seem difficult to touch the pipe when using the stairs but if once the railing is placed, it seems like a risk, I'll likely do something like the diamond screen that you suggested.
Jesse

poppy

Very nice set of pics.  They look professional.  [cool]  I especially like the close up of the stove.  Were you using a 50mm lens or did you just adjust a variable lens?

Another question on the stove.  Is it necessary to put a hearth on the floor in front of the stove?  With the stove so close to the edge of the platform, it might be a good idea.

ScottA

jdhen

Poppy- Just an old but trusty Canon power shot that I've dropped several times. Just used the basic zoom feature.  I did study photography for several years at an art school in Boston but that was many years ago!  Digital wasn't even being used yet by the masses! 
As for the hearth, yes, I do plan to place either a removable tiled/framed hearth or I've also been looking into the 100% wool hearth rugs.  That might be an easier way to go.

Scott- thanks for the comment.  I've been enjoying the progress on your project as well and would say exactly the same thing to you!
Jesse

poppy

Jesse, I could tell there was some photo training there somewhere.  8)

I also took some basic pic. training back in the pre-digital age myself.  I have to remind myself all the time that some of the training actually does translate even on point-n-shoot cameras.

speedfunk

jesse.  The standing seam does look better IMHO for the reasons you mentioned.  We are def going with standing seam.  Glad things are going well.  Wood stove is also very nice nestled in the stairs.

Peace
jeff

jdhen

Hey Jeff,  Glad you hear you've made your decision on the standing seam.  Are you going to order the factory panels and place them yourself?
Jesse

wyliestevens

Hey Jesse,

My name is Wylie, I am a home-health nurse and West Fork is my territory.  I have seen your home from the road many times and have been watching your progress on here, but haven't been able to catch you there.  I would love to stop by and visit with you if you wouldn't mind.

Shoot me an e-mail at wyliestevens@gmail.com, I'll send you my phone number.

I look forward to visiting with you.

Wylie

RainDog

Quote from: wyliestevens on February 12, 2010, 07:57:49 AM
 Hey Jesse,

My name is Wylie, I am a home-health nurse and West Fork is my territory.  I have seen your home from the road many times and have been watching your progress on here, but haven't been able to catch you there.  I would love to stop by and visit with you if you wouldn't mind.

Shoot me an e-mail at wyliestevens@gmail.com, I'll send you my phone number.

I look forward to visiting with you.

Wylie

And thus, with the innocent sounding forum post, was the first step taken on the path that would ultimately lead young Jesse to his destiny, spoken of in hushed tone for years to come across this country.

Oh my God, why'd I say that? JUST KIDDING!

NE OK

frazoo

I'm new here, just came across your build thread and had to say nice looking build!

As much as I enjoy looking at all the builds here, I have to stop looking until I start my build or I'll never complete my drawings to submit for approval.  I keep seeing things to change or add.  As Homer would say, "DOH!".

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

ScottA

Redoverfarm

Maybe they went into hibernation Scott.   ;D

jdhen

I'm still here.  Just came up for air after spending the last 2 weeks or so busting my knuckles on studs while trying to thread long runs of 6-3 wire for the stove and the hot water heater....arrrrrgggghhhh.  Just finished wiring the last 3way switch and hooked up the water heater today.  I'll have the electrician come in and check our work sometime next week and hook us up to the grid.   Hooray!  No more schlepping the 100 ft extension cord from the meter stand!!

Not much to see....the place is a mess......but at least I get to start tackling the plumbing....I think pex is a little easier to bend  ;D

Here are a few shots of what's happened lately...

We've also stopped to play in the snow.   And, boy, have we had snow....much more than what is usual!  But I guess most of the nation can say that!
Jesse

jdhen

Quote from: frazoo on February 12, 2010, 11:49:20 AM
I'm new here, just came across your build thread and had to say nice looking build!

As much as I enjoy looking at all the builds here, I have to stop looking until I start my build or I'll never complete my drawings to submit for approval.  I keep seeing things to change or add.  As Homer would say, "DOH!".

frazoo

Thanks, Frazoo.  I did the same thing for about 2 years before starting my project.  And believe me, you'll make more changes, even as you're building.  Sometimes you just don't know something needs changing until you're standing right in front of it. ;D
Jesse

Annalea

Quote from: jdhen on February 12, 2010, 09:18:50 PM
We've also stopped to play in the snow.   And, boy, have we had snow....much more than what is usual!  But I guess most of the nation can say that!

Except us up here in Northern Idaho . . . we've had a Portland-style winter, warmer than their winter of '08-'09.  Nice break, but I'm not looking forward to the dry dry dry summer.  ::)

Great job on your place!

jdhen

We've started in on the the plumbing.  Still a few more electric details to work out like running some wire to a future sub panel that will bring power to an addition that we'll add in a year or so.  Also, I added a whole house fan by Tammarack.  It's not suppose to create a breeze but the reviews are good when it comes to cooling things down a few degrees at night in the summer- especially upstairs, I hope.

Here's a few plumbing shots- everything's just dry fitted so far.  I need to look at it a while before gluing  :-\
The plumbing wall for the bathroom and kitchen.

Drains under the wall-  We'll be using the gray-water but I've plumbed it so that I can turn it to the septic tank if conditions are too wet for additional orchard watering.  Only the toilet is plumbed directly to the tank.

These two ball valves control the flow to either the gray-water or the septic tank.

I got the idea from "Building with Awareness"  a book and DVD by Ted Owens http://www.buildingwithawareness.com/
I'm also using this book http://oasisdesign.net/greywater/createanoasis/index.htm  by Art Ludwig.
It's a bit unconventional but I'm hopeful that it will work!
Jesse

Redoverfarm

jdhen just don't run the fan with the woodstove operational.  You will suck the smoke right through the house.  While you are in the planning stages try to develope a way to make it airtight (insulated) in the winter months.  It will be a big heat robber during the winter if you don't close it off.  Even with automatic louvers it will still be drafty. 

MountainDon

Quote from: jdhen on February 19, 2010, 08:32:49 PM
Drains under the wall-  We'll be using the gray-water but I've plumbed it so that I can turn it to the septic tank if conditions are too wet for additional orchard watering.  

I hope nobody ever closes both valves at the same time.   ;)    Probably too late now, but there are special three way valves that would alleviate that concern.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jdhen

Red- I framed in an attic (such as it is) access just adjacent to the fan.  I will build a small chase out of 1x4s on top of the fan in which I will place cotton batts in the winter.  The chase will also serve as a fence of sorts to keep the loose cellulose insulation from falling through the fan ports.  Below the fan and above the grill is around 6 more inches that I will also fill with the cotton insulation and I think that should stop the heat escape.

MD- That's good point.  My wife and I will have to be vigilant when making any changes to the greywater flow.  Perhaps a sign in large type right above the valves will be in order!
Jesse

MountainDon

A sign would be good.  I look at things a little different than I did 30-40 years ago. My memory is not as sharp as it was. I used to have all sorts of unlabeled stuff that I knew for sure how it worked. Now I need hints, notes and signs. And the other thing that becomes more apparent as one ages... you or I might not always be around when some other person has to deal with the situation.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

devildog

jdhen, plumbing looks great.

I was wondering how you passed thru your foundation. Bust it out with a hammer? drill it out? chisel? This was one of the things I was concerned about when they pour my footers,so I got a 6" pipe to sleeve for the sewer and a 2" sleeve for the water line. my only concern is with the 6" pipe , I dont trust people to do a good job sometimes,and if they put it inside the footer it could weaken it resulting in a future crack. Im sure it wouldnt weaken the foundation to go thru block cavity. Probably just over thinking things again.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

archimedes

You're doing a great job.  The place looks great.

However, I did notice in your plumbing photos (reply#192) the it appears that the "T" fitting in your main vent stack is upside down.  It's hard to tell from the pics, and I could be wrong, but if that is your main vent (dry) then you should turn that fitting around.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

jdhen

Quote from: devildog on February 20, 2010, 10:18:53 AM
jdhen, plumbing looks great.

I was wondering how you passed thru your foundation. Bust it out with a hammer? drill it out? chisel? This was one of the things I was concerned about when they pour my footers,so I got a 6" pipe to sleeve for the sewer and a 2" sleeve for the water line. my only concern is with the 6" pipe , I dont trust people to do a good job sometimes,and if they put it inside the footer it could weaken it resulting in a future crack. Im sure it wouldnt weaken the foundation to go thru block cavity. Probably just over thinking things again.
Darrell

Darrell- The sleeve for the sewer pipe is in the footer.  It's in the top quarter and since it's 18 inches deep there I'm not too worried about cracking.  It's reinforced with rbar and I think it's standard practice around here to place it there.  The greywater sleeve (the higher one) was knocked out with a hammer before the core fill was completed.  You'd be surprised how exact you can be with some gentle knocks of the hammer.
For the sleeves I used 4 inch pipe with an appropriate slope to it.  I'm just attaching to in with a 3 to 4 reducer and my septic installer just glued 6 inch outside the foundation for the run to the tank.
Jesse