How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

Lost power for about 4 hours, not too bad. Considering we have lost it for a week before.

Ernest T. Bass

Everybody cringes when we tell them about the harsh winters up here, but I think we have it better than all the unprepared people with inadequately built homes, little heat and crummy road maintenance that get flattened by an unexpected ice storm every few years.. :) Up here, we get nothing but nice fluffy snow, our driveway gets plowed by the county every day if need be, and we have tons of utility-independent firewood. We're having a blast! :)

The only thing we don't have is off-the-grid water, save our two creeks which come in handy for toilet flushing when the power is out...

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Drew

It wasn't too bad here at the coast.  We had rain, hail, and some thunder.  We didn't get to go to the zoo like we usually do on Christmas, but it was okay. 

I caught a cold from someone and was pretty wiped out.  My family put me to bed after we opened presents and I woke up again at 4:30. 

I have to do some work tomorrow, but Dan and the kids will go see Dan's mom in Santa Cruz.  We'll go to the farm this weekend and do some more soil prep.  It'll be about 48 degrees and the soil will be moist.  I have to say that I am grateful we live in California and below the snow line.  It makes building and growing seasons good and long.

Have a great season, friends.  Here's to plenty of rain in the right places.

D

southernsis

The weather is doing its thing today. We went from cold with freezing rain, to last night it hit 67. This mornig it is very warm 65, wind blowing very strong and a Tornado warning has been issued till 2 pm. One minute you are bundled up and can't get warm, then I have to open the windows because it is so warm. Wonder what tomorrow has in store for the country.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

glenn kangiser

I guess you get our leftovers -- looks like better weather on it's way soon - cold but not as stormy would be my guess, Sis... but what do I know? d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

southernsis

It didn't get too bad here after all. A lot of wind and rain. Just makes it hard to get much done outside. The storm is past us and it has finally stopped raining. The west has had worse weather than here. It is finally melting at my sisters place. She said nothing caved in and her home is high enough so she will not flood. Perhaps the worst of the winter weather is over with. I need to get some outside things done.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

sparks

The last few weeks have given us here in the midwest everything from snow to freezing rain to more snow. The river out front of our home froze over after a few days of below zero temps. It's now thawing.

After all the recent rains the river has risen to the top of our seawall...and the ice is creeping by making a lot of creepy noises..

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

lonelytree

Cold and more cold predicted. I had to change a water pump last night. -17F Even after 2 hours in the garage the Jeep was cold.

It is going to ruin my snowmachining trip this weekend....  :(

glenn kangiser

Looks like another possible storm here by the end of the week...global cooling? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

lonelytree just keep it up there will you.  Today started about 34F but the power was out for about 5 hours first thing this morning.  Luckily the wife set the coffee maker on auto and it had just finished when it went off.   ;D  I hate to break out the coleman stove for coffee but got to have my java in the AM . Alot of 30-40MPH wind apparently fell a tree across the line.  Since this morning we got about 1-2" of the predicted 2-4" accumulation.  Temp's are falling down to 18F now with a predicted drop to 10-12F tonight.  Winter is here again ;)

Believe it or not this winter is the first time that I had ever used the AC heater in the Powerstroke. One morning it was 6F and barely got it started.  Made a real difference the next couple mornings.  Started like summer time until I had to get out of it.  :(

peternap

New Years Eve. Odd weather again

At 6:00 AM, it was almost hot, nearly 70.
The wind kicked up hard all day as a cold front blew in and now at 5:44, it's 30 degrees.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

gandalfthegrey

I am not to worried about the weather this week. I live in So. Cal.  And it never rains on the Rose parade.   Temps up to the low 70's 8)   Last week we had freezing every night.
Bad Wolf

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on December 31, 2008, 04:20:54 PM
lonelytree just keep it up there will you.  Today started about 34F but the power was out for about 5 hours first thing this morning.  Luckily the wife set the coffee maker on auto and it had just finished when it went off.   ;D  I hate to break out the coleman stove for coffee but got to have my java in the AM . Alot of 30-40MPH wind apparently fell a tree across the line.  Since this morning we got about 1-2" of the predicted 2-4" accumulation.  Temp's are falling down to 18F now with a predicted drop to 10-12F tonight.  Winter is here again ;)

Believe it or not this winter is the first time that I had ever used the AC heater in the Powerstroke. One morning it was 6F and barely got it started.  Made a real difference the next couple mornings.  Started like summer time until I had to get out of it.  :(

That's a good point John. I don't even know if the AC heater works in mine. Something else to test this weekend after I get back from the farm. Glad I loaded the tractor up on antifreeze last month. I'm looking for the low teens tonight.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Woke up this morning to a blazing 6F with the remnants of the 2" of snow as the winds have blown clear the meadows and stacked it into the corners.

considerations

It's been High 20's at night here and up to low 40's in the daytime. My accumulated 2' of snow has compacted to about 10" of slush.  We are supposed to get another snowstorm tonight.  It's just been weird.

I got an inch of snow last night when the prediction was for rain.  So far all of the w--d that has been warned of has missed me.  That is the one thing I really do not care for. We had a real blower hit about two years ago, and it was pretty awe inspiring. 100'+ trees going down like exploding dominoes.   A pleasure I'm willing to forego.   

So far, my on grid neighbors have reported only transitory power outages.  It's the short day time of the year, so I'm running the little gen occasionally to supplement the solar. 

glenn kangiser

It's OK, considerations....you can say "weed" here.  We'll still tolerate you. heh

Redoverfarm

Small dusting of snow 2-3" last night.  Temp 27F this morning.  Better than the alternative predicted of freezing rain earlier.  Suppose to get another 1-2" tonight.  No school ???.  Well when I was growing up............ We won't go there.

Mad Dog

Weather finally broke here, after almost 3 weeks of a cold snap.  Got up to -3 below where I am, but it's been anywhere from -25 to -40 below the last couple weeks. ;D
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

glenn kangiser

That is terrible... I know --- it's a dry cold d*

Sassy

It got up to 70 today - I got sunburned sitting outside reading  ::)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

Chilly 12 degrees this morning but the sun is out. I think I'll let it warm up a bit before I go to work.  :P

glenn kangiser

Currently 59f and going for 68f but it will likely get hotter - did yesterday Sassy said. :)

Sassy

It's 66 degrees right now  :)  need to get off my new computer & get outside!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Started the day off at `13F then by afternoon it has risen to 39F.  Just enough to make it sloppy. But I guess the next couple of days will take care of hat. Thursday & Friday the high is suppose to be some where in the neighborhood of 0-5F. 

Mad Dog

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 13, 2009, 02:19:03 AM
That is terrible... I know --- it's a dry cold d*

It actually is very dry, although that's probably no consolation to those who can't stand it that cold. ::)  On the bright side, it's up to 10* with snow on it's way.  Horses are loving this "warm"  weather. 8)
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.