trim routers

Started by Billisnice, November 11, 2009, 02:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

Trim Routers are cheaper. Can I route out 1 x 12 shelving with one pretty easy?

thanks

Billisnice

I mean, can i route rounded edges like a big router?

MountainDon

They are cheaper for good reason. They are less powerful. Depending on the type of wood, depending on the depth of cut, or how many passes you are willing to make to achieve the results desired, maybe you could do it. They are really meant to be used as laminate trimmers.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Billisnice

Do you have a recomendation for a light weight router for 1 x 12 pine board edges? Thanks

MountainDon

I have had one of these for 15+ years, maybe 20.  ??? I love it. I find the D-handle very nice to work with.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=99&cookietest=1

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

I just bought another Craftsman router for my dovetail jig. . . Have used the Craftsman for many years without any trouble.  Reasonably priced at about $80.00

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Billisnice

What about a decent stand for this router?

MountainDon

Quote from: Billisnice on November 11, 2009, 03:36:21 PM
What about a decent stand for this router?

To use the router as a shaper?   I built my own and have a larger Makita dedicated to it so I don't need to swap it in and out.

bayview

Here is my attempt at a router table . . . I built it higher than a normal table so I don't have to bend over.  Top drawers hold various clamps and feather boards.  Behind lower doors are two drawers that hold various bits and the area on the bottom for jigs.

I used Lexan for the router plate.  The fence is adjustable for the various widths of bits.  Vacuum port out of the back.  I didn't box in the router, though.  It is easier to adjust height.

Clear pine for cabinet, mdf for table top, laminated pine for fence. . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

That's more than an attempt!  That's a nice looking table!!

Very nice. I made mine high too. It's actually a portable table that sits on top of a wheeled table that began life as a projection cart 25 years ago. Doesn't look as nice as yours though.

Redoverfarm

Bayviewps it appears that you do a good bit of woodworking. Do you have a shaper as well?  I used to use my router as a stationary but since I got the shaper the router is more of a portable tool now. But since I got going on the cabin I have gotten away from the shop tools for several years and went mostly with portables for the construction.

bayview

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 11, 2009, 10:39:14 PM
Bayviewps it appears that you do a good bit of woodworking. Do you have a shaper as well?  I used to use my router as a stationary but since I got the shaper the router is more of a portable tool now. But since I got going on the cabin I have gotten away from the shop tools for several years and went mostly with portables for the construction.

I haven't considered a shaper due to the price. . .  I do need a stationary sander and jointer but am running out of room in my shop.

BTW  Your place looks great!

Sassy

Pretty fancy router table!  Did you build it all?  Nice job!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

I burned out a pretty heavy router making lots of shiplap.  For the heavy stuff I like the 1/2 inch shank bits.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bayview

Quote from: Sassy on November 12, 2009, 12:15:47 PM
Pretty fancy router table!  Did you build it all?  Nice job!

Yes, I did build it myself . . . :) 

Thanks for the compliment!

I built this table using another smaller router table that I had previously built.  I would clamp it onto my workbench.  It would take up valuable workspace.  So, I built the larger one.   

I can remove the top portion of the router table.  It is the same height of my table saw.  It comes in handy when cutting large pieces, like, plywood on the table saw.

I don't have a picture of the smaller bench setup, so, here is a quick diagram . . .

The fence could be moved forward and back.  - A couple of long oval holes on the table and a couple of bolts with wingnuts on the fence.  I "Boxed" in the fence behind the bit and drilled a large hole for the vacuum.  I bolted the router base to the table.  I could separate the router from the router base to change bits.

I also use mostly 1/2" bits, except in some applications, like the dovetail jig, you will have to use 1/4" bits.  Otherwise the bit won't clear the router guide bushing.

/