Need help ASAP

Started by Dave Sparks, October 06, 2016, 12:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Sparks

One of the moderators here (GK) is asking for help from me. It sounds like fraud.  Anybody know anything?

Apreciate any help!   --Dave
"we go where the power lines don't"

John Raabe

Dave (and others) Don't respond. Looks like someone is posing as Glenn and requesting money. Don't respond to the request, it is going to a hacker. Some one opened a bogus email glenn.kangiser@qq.com note the qq.com AGAIN - DO NOT REPLY OR SEND ANY EMAIL TO QQ.COM

John Raabe
www.countryplans.com
www.planhelp.com
None of us are as smart as all of us.

azgreg

Dave Sparks

Thanks John! It seemed like Glen would have a better line than that, at least with me....

Redoverfarm

I thought the same thing.  Looked at the E-mail address and it was different than his.  It was even different than the one JR mentioned.  This guy must be desperate.

Why we are on the subject I might caution members about ads that are appearing at the bottom of the pages.  Although some are harmless and might be beneficial there are some that are not and nothing but Ad ware virus.  Mostly the ones similar to " You have 1 new message" or "you have missed messages".  Everyone knows that messages to members appear in your message box and not at the bottom of pages.  These are the hostage type that instruct you to contact a particular number to gain control of your computer back.  I found that if the internet signal is severed they will disappear if the computer is shut down.  Once the window is brought back up they should be gone.  Then run a scan to make sure.

Dave Sparks

Glen called last night and said all was well.  I did reply to the e-mail and asked what Glen would have in a beer.  I probably should not have but I  scanned it first and after did a reset and check for updates/scan

glenn kangiser

Sorry it took me a while to get here.  Working 12 hours or more per day up to 7 days per week so don't even get to my computer most of the time.

Yes, I was hacked big time.  Lagos, Nigeria scammers got into and took over my Google account, totally reset my phone and tablet and deleted all contents and apps from my phone and tablet.  All contacts were lost for a couple weeks until I found a way to do a reset to a month ago on my contacts because the scammers totally deleted the contents of my contacts on my Google account too.

I had a heck of a time trying to get Google to believe it was me as I tried multiple times from my phone.  Even though I did everything right it was not successful.  Finally I tried it from my computer and got my account back less all contacts.

All of my personal photos from my SD card for the last year or so were deleted.  I had the important Burma travel ones backed up on the computer. 

Anyway, I think it is OK to hate scammers.

Sorry for any inconvenience and don't send me money in Mexico.  I can provide a local address for that.  :)  [ouch]

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Too bad about all the hassle. Glad you are back in operation though.  Were there any other repercussions from the hack? Anyone actually fall for the scam that you know of?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

No one fell for the scam that I know of.  I had to reload any apps that I wanted on to my phone and tablet as it was completely wiped out and restarted as a new phone and tablet with 0 data used on either one.  No apps, no pictures, no nothing. Once I reloaded my email for MSN, and Facebook, I sent out a notice I was hacked and don't send money.  I got many emails or text messages and calls. Most realized it was a hack scam and were just checking to make sure.

I was not able to get my Google account back for a couple of days. When I did I tried to reload my applications and contacts but they had erased all contacts and deleted all apps in my account.  I don't know if it was the hackrs or Google that did it to stop the hackers from expanding the damage.  About 2 weeks later I was still trying to get my thousands of Google contacts back.  I was on the computer and since my Google contacts were deleted i only could reload about 4 new contacts.  I kept playing around and eventually I found a place to restore my contacts to a point they were at up to 30 days ago.  Since it happened on October 6th (but I didn't remember what day until I recently found a message from my cousins wife), I was able to restore it back to 30 days and got everything back.

I am quite happy it was not over 30 days before I found it.  I probably only lost a couple contacts that way.  My photos are permanently gone.  I still haven't figured out how or why they wiped out both SD cards on both the Phone and tablet.  I have searched for info to see if it was Google but can't seem to find similar info.  The only thing I was able to find was that my Gmail was rerouted to Lagos , Nigeria, through info in my Google account and an option to remove the forwarding address since likely they thought I was hacked.

Hackers... I hate them....    >:(

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I think the hackers probably deleted all the contact info after they copied them. That way they could hope that when you discovered the hack you would have trouble warning the people in the list.    ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

That is a possibility.  I don't know if I will ever know what all happened for sure.   ???

Dave Sparks

I knew it was not you Glen because they only wanted money and not money for beer ???

glenn kangiser

Oh of course...  A giveaway.  They should have looked through my 10000 photos before they deleted them.  Probably a clue in there somewhere.  [ouch]

Dave Sparks

I think it was a song about limes in the coconut or the corona.  I have to call you!

glenn kangiser

Looking forward to hearing from you. We were home mostly for 5 months but now it seems they just can't get enough of us... Moehnin and I are working away most of the time lately but may be home on a weekend. [ouch]

Today was San Jose, tomorrow Sacramento and Thurs - Saturday Lemoore Naval Air Station.  Making sparks and smoke with my wonderful wife...... welding I mean.  You know......  :)

John Raabe

Nice to see what sparks, smoke, and welding can produce. Good work, on so many levels!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Dave Sparks

Ditto !  Keep those sparks away from the electronics Mr. Tesla!
Nice frame for a solar awning there......be sure to isolate the panels from the steel!

glenn kangiser

Thanks guys. I'll try to keep the sparks from  damaging anything.   :)