why do guys do this???

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, March 27, 2008, 10:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Serious question... when guys go to put stuff up, why is it that they never seem to make it to the final destination with whatever they were going to put up??  Or is it just my husband?  Last night, he asked me what to do with an old pair of jeans he wanted to get rid of, and I told him to throw them in the Goodwill box by the front door, so he left, presumably to throw them in the box.  Well, this morning, I get up and find the pants and a lone sock laying on the middle of the table.  Well, then there was also the issue of the "shoe bag"... I had gone through the kids' shoes and filled up a bag of ones that were too small to put back for the baby.  We have this big box sitting in the living room still full of random things that don't need to be unpacked for quite a while and are going in the shed for the time being.  DH saw the bad sitting in the laundry room and just couldn't accept that I wouldn't let him stash them in the girls' already crowded closet, so I told him to put them in that box.  This morning, I found an odd shoe that belonged in the bag, and went hunting it.  It wasn't where he was supposed to put it, of course, but instead was in the floor of the sewing/schooling room along with a bunch of the kids' toys that he'd threated to throw out if they didn't put them away.  Instead of doing what he said he'd do, he just chunked them in the floor of a room that I've been really trying to unpack and organize, so gives me more to bend over and pick up (which probably wouldn't be a big deal if I weren't 7.5 months pregnant and miserable when I just try to put on socks!)  I just spent 30 minutes this morning cleaning up crap he left laying around...and he knew that my step-mom was coming over this morning, so I am just really wondering WHY do guys do stuff like that?  If he asks where it belongs, shouldn't he put it there?   ::) :-\ >:(

Sassy

[noidea' :D  Men...  & they think women are so complicated...   ::)  Glenn's pretty good about picking up clothes & putting where there supposed to be - but his truck, the shop, cleaning period - I don't think he has any concept...  thinks I'm too picky  ???  I think there are just men who don't SEE & things like that don't bother them - the stuff seems to magically get put where it belongs, or get done or supplied...  all the millions of "little" insignificant things that if they weren't done would cause chaos & discomfort... 

Glenn comes home covered with dirt, poison oak & oftentimes ticks...  I mentioned he should take his clothes off & put them in the laundry room downstairs before coming into the main house, so the dirt & ticks don't fall all over & they aren't in the laundry basket in the bathroom... it would keep all that dirt from getting onto the other clothes that aren't so dirty, would keep the ticks out of the house & would lessen my exposure to poison oak... I would only have to handle the stuff once & I would know to be careful with his clothes so as not to get poison oak...   makes sense to me  c* but Glenn is horrified that he would have to take his clothes off before coming into the house - he had an uncle whose wife insisted on that & he's not going to be ordered around like that...   ;)  soooo, I just deal with it to keep the peace  :-*  sometimes you just can't teach old dogs new tricks  heh
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

I don't think in his case it's so much not wanting to cooperate as it is a complete ability to be distracted... he probably started in here looking for the box going to Goodwill, and on the way spotted something else that needed to be put up, or decided to browse through the day's junkmail or ????  He does the same thing when we're working on something...we'll start out with one goal and he ends up doing something completely different because he forgot why he was there in the first place.  For example, we went outside one time to get the garden beds ready to plant, and I sent him to the garage for the tiller and a hammer to nail the boxes around the raised beds back together.  Fifteen minutes passed, and then he comes out of the garage with a mower and starts mowing the lawn.  I asked him what he was doing, and he answered innocently, "Mowing the lawn."  I said, "I thought you were going to go get  the tiller," and he says, "Oh, yeah... I forgot.  I noticed that the gas was low on the tiller, and when I went looking for the gas can for the tiller, I found the one for the mower and looked and decided the yard needed to be mowed, so I filled the mower and forgot about the tiller." ::)  Men! 

benevolance

As a man I could say in defense that the reason we get married is to acquire a quicker picker upper (wife)

;D

ScottA

QuoteAs a man I could say in defense that the reason we get married is to acquire a quicker picker upper (wife)

Mine can cook too.

MountainDon

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on March 27, 2008, 10:58:08 AM
If he asks where it belongs, shouldn't he put it there?   ::) :-\ >:(

Yes, if anyone's gone as far as asking where it should go, they should follow through. That seems logical to me.

Sounds like an organizational problem. Some people don't have any concept.

There's sometimes a foggy line between what one person considers a sensible suggestion and how the other person receives the suggestion to be an order or criticism of their actions. If something saves work in the end, it might be a good idea.

OMMV
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

Quote from: Sassy on March 27, 2008, 12:16:44 PM
[noidea' :D  Men...  & they think women are so complicated...   ::)   soooo, I just deal with it to keep the peace  :-*  sometimes you just can't teach old dogs new tricks  heh

:heh maybe rubbing his nose in it like a dog, might do the trick :heh

peternap

Quote from: benevolance on March 27, 2008, 03:34:37 PM
As a man I could say in defense that the reason we get married is to acquire a quicker picker upper (wife)

;D

Your gonna get STIR FRY for that! rofl
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

It depends. I have an interim spot for things in my DEN. It's a chair. I'm sitting on my sofa looking at the chair.

Three rifles, a handgun, 6 coats, a flyrod, a ...sword ???, a shirt, 4 boxes of shotgun shells, a camcorder and some small stuff.

It's in transit. All part of the PLAN! :)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Ladies, ladies, ladies.

Your postings are full of run-on sentences and -- in fact, hmm run on paragraphs if that's possible.

Homey -- the shame of it all --- you were an English teacher.  I can see I'm going to have to start leaning on you again. :o

This type of grammar and penmanship makes them totally unable to be understood.  Please straighten up your postings and make it so the rest of us can understand it.  ::)

Sorry.  :(

;D

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 27, 2008, 07:22:16 PM
Ladies, ladies, ladies.

Your postings are full of run-on sentences and -- in fact, hmm run on paragraphs if that's possible.

Homey -- the shame of it all --- you were an English teacher.  I can see I'm going to have to start leaning on you again. :o

This type of grammar and penmanship makes them totally unable to be understood.  Please straighten up your postings and make it so the rest of us can understand it.  ::)

Sorry.  :(

;D

rofl rofl rofl  STIR FRY [toilet]

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 27, 2008, 07:29:18 PM
How'd I do, Peter? hmm

[rofl2]

Well...off the record [cool] Very Nice!...However on the record "I refuse to answer on the following grounds. I might get stir fry if my wife reads it :)

MountainDon

Quote from: peternap on March 27, 2008, 07:15:42 PM
It depends. I have an interim spot for things in my DEN.
But it is your interim space, if I interpret correctly. That's like my desk in the office. And the workshop.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on March 27, 2008, 08:13:33 PM
Quote from: peternap on March 27, 2008, 07:15:42 PM
It depends. I have an interim spot for things in my DEN.
But it is your interim space, if I interpret correctly. That's like my desk in the office. And the workshop.

It is my space Don. My staging area for things I plan to move to other areas......when I get around to it :)

glenn kangiser

I'm going to refrain from further comment.  d*

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

I would say more but I'm having trouble getting in touch with my feminine side. ::)  Senility I guess.

Redoverfarm

I guess bragging is allowed on the site. No honestly I generally do put things up. It is just times when several projects get THROWN at me that I delay the organization. But eventually I get back around and clean up what I started.  But what is even harder is to teach a teenage boy to be responsible.  Yeah they are coming around now. Now it takes 3 days of constantly reminding instead of 4. Ladies you are not off the hook yet. I have a daughter that is the same way. Not to bad at her age but she's not a teenager yet.  I guess it might be an age thing and then again maybe not.  

glenn kangiser

Sassy was the Sarge -- her sister was Beetle or Zero.  Literally. hmm

Her sister is now organized too.  Ought to be -- even though younger, she's old enough. hmm

benevolance

I like the quicker picker upper denotation...So much so I even told my wife about it.

She was thrilled of course ;)

glenn kangiser

I suppose I must say that if it wasn't for Sassy I would be totally disorganized.  [crz]

Whew --- got my arm back -- that was starting to hurt. 

No really --- all seriousness aside, she really does keep things straight for me.

Dang.

I meant all kidding aside. ::)

John_C

Glenn, repeat after me yourself

QuoteI'm going to refrain from further comment.  duhh
I'm going to refrain from further comment.  duhh
I'm going to refrain from further comment.  duhh

glenn kangiser

sparks

Re: why do guys do this???   We're Slobs. Period.
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......