20x32 A frame cabin Central KY

Started by EaglesSJ, July 23, 2010, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EaglesSJ

I finished screwing down the deck tonight. I still lack 3 boards having it all done but that will come next trip to town. I also started working on the gutter boards and soffit.

CjAl

hows your solar setup working out? is it providing enough power for you?

Rensmif

Quote from: EaglesSJ on December 10, 2011, 10:32:14 PM
Todays work. Finished the roof, also put in the french doors but that was after dark so pics didnt turn out. Also done the underpinning a couple days ago. Still have to paint it and install the lattice over it but we wont have frozen pipes and thats the key. Ill get a full on shot of the house tomorrow in the daylight

I am brand new here and try to read and study a lot more than post and question.  I am really inspired by your progress on this home, I do however have some questions/concerns.

In reading other threads on footings and foundations, I am unsure of the long term stability of your concrete piers being so much taller than they they deep, I also am not sure if I spotted "proper" metal connectors for the floor to foundation, and in these pics, it looks as if your are running untreated boards flush to natural ground, I thought this would invite termites into the structure.

As I said I am new here and just trying to learn the proper and safe way.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: CjAl on December 13, 2011, 06:24:13 PM
hows your solar setup working out? is it providing enough power for you?

Not during the winter it isnt. We have to run the generator on cloudy days. In the summer its more than enough though

CjAl

is it higher use or just not getting as much sun? I imagine with an expanding family and bigger house your use will go up. are you planning on more panels? how many do you have now I forget?

EaglesSJ

Quote from: Rensmif on December 13, 2011, 06:50:26 PM

I am brand new here and try to read and study a lot more than post and question.  I am really inspired by your progress on this home, I do however have some questions/concerns.

In reading other threads on footings and foundations, I am unsure of the long term stability of your concrete piers being so much taller than they they deep, I also am not sure if I spotted "proper" metal connectors for the floor to foundation, and in these pics, it looks as if your are running untreated boards flush to natural ground, I thought this would invite termites into the structure.

As I said I am new here and just trying to learn the proper and safe way.

The proper way to brace the piers would have been to put an x bracing cable between the tallest piers. Probably the tallest 6 out of the 15. The others are in the ground as much or more than they are out of the ground. I chose to just add some 6x6 post diagonally braced in the rear of the house as I didnt feel like setting concrete anchors and stretching cable along with no longer being able to use the underside of my house for storage.

As for the underpinning. There are treated boards that are in direct contact with the ground. Only the vertical studs and OSB are untreated. Now Im sure that this may not last for 20 years or maybe not even 10 years but it did however keep our pipes from freezing and I already had the OSB left over from when we built the house so for a couple hundred bucks and a few hrs work i will use it until it fails me. I am constantly under the house and if I see the first sign of termites trust me when I say Ill be all over it. We had termites at our last house and they ate through the concrete block basement walls so I think unless you get your home treated for termites the possibility of having them is there regardless of construction material.

Most if not all of what I do is based on practicality not on building codes. I just try to build with common sense, speed, and accuracy. Im not always right but I always make it work  d*

EaglesSJ

Quote from: CjAl on December 13, 2011, 09:01:14 PM
is it higher use or just not getting as much sun? I imagine with an expanding family and bigger house your use will go up. are you planning on more panels? how many do you have now I forget?

Were only getting about 3 hrs of sun vs 8 or so. We currently have 6 210 watt kyocera. Were planning on doubling this at tax time.

CjAl

wow, that will be a huge array.

if you have extra in the summer and short in the winter maybe realigning the panels for more optimal winter horizons would help. can't do much about not enough sun though except mabey add a wind turbine but that's a whole nother set of issues.

MountainDon

Quote from: Rensmif on December 13, 2011, 06:50:26 PM

....I am unsure of the long term stability of your concrete piers being so much taller than they they deep, ...

Rensmif and other readers.  One thing to keep in mind while reading the forum topics is that the forum owner and management team does not necessarily endorse or guarantee the methods of construction used in the owner builder projects. Some projects are built in areas that had little to no enforcement of nationally recognized building codes. Other projects are in areas that are subject to incredibly detailed and rigidly enforced codes and inspections.

Typically an area with code requirements and inspections will be using a version of the IRC. There is much good information there. It does take some reading, but is a great tool. Also typically pier foundation will not meet code requirements without an engineer signing off on the design. There are foundations in the IRC that do not require the use of an engineer in many cases. Types of soil do vary a lot from place to place. Some locations are next to impossible to build on in an economical manner.  Give me an email or PM if you desire, or start a topic on your own so we don't hijack this thread too much.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: MtnDon on December 13, 2011, 09:40:36 PM
Rensmif and other readers.  One thing to keep in mind while reading the forum topics is that the forum owner and management team does not necessarily endorse or guarantee the methods of construction used in the owner builder projects. Some projects are built in areas that had little to no enforcement of nationally recognized building codes. Other projects are in areas that are subject to incredibly detailed and rigidly enforced codes and inspections.

Typically an area with code requirements and inspections will be using a version of the IRC. There is much good information there. It does take some reading, but is a great tool. Also typically pier foundation will not meet code requirements without an engineer signing off on the design. There are foundations in the IRC that do not require the use of an engineer in many cases. Types of soil do vary a lot from place to place. Some locations are next to impossible to build on in an economical manner.  Give me an email or PM if you desire, or start a topic on your own so we don't hijack this thread too much.

I dont mind a hijack. This thread is as good as any to discuss it in.

Bob S.

I think your project is great just the way you've built it. From what I've seen with your work ethic, if a termite shows its ugly face it will be dealt in short order.
   I do think that you relize that some things might need redone in the future, but am sure you will take care of them as need be.
  The only issues I see that you might need to address in a more thougtful manner are your stove heat shield and stove-pipe height. These are both things that can not be dealt with after a problem arises. If the pipe is ugly so be it.

Buckeye

Eagles,
I was curious about your on demand hot water setup. What model are you using and are you happy with it? I'm currently getting ready to build a design very similar to your original a-frame and wife says hot water is a MUST.

Thanks- Buckeye

metolent

awesome progress... and most of this done at night?  amazing.   [cool]

I feel like I'm ready for hibernation as soon as the sun goes down ... sun?  what was I thinking - I feel like i'm ready for hibernation as soon as the clouds aren't quite as bright.

EaglesSJ

duncanshannon

inspiring progress!  do you sleep much?!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

OlJarhead

Great progress!  You're a driven man!  Simply inspiring!

OlJarhead

Quotehttp://www.amazon.com/Eccotemp-FVI-12-LP-Capacity-Propane-Tankless/dp/B002Y0K6AI

I'm liking the price on this one compared to the Bosh I had budgeted but all of them are killing me on water pressure.  40psi?

I've got maybe 15-18psi from my gravity cistern.

But I think I have a way around that (I'll have to expand in my own post).....

Anyway, thanks for posting this link and sorry for the hijack!

EaglesSJ

40 is on the high side. My well pump stays at about 28-30

Sassy

We have 32-34 psi from our storage tank - from the top of the mtn down to where the Bosch X125 propane heater is located outside the cabin is an 80ft drop.  Glenn said that he put in 3/4" propane pipe line but the last approx 8 ft was 1/2" & it hasn't seemed to matter.

I don't like the water too hot or too cold so depending on the weather outside I sometimes have problems regulating it to my exact specifications  ::)  And it takes 30-60 sec in the winter for the water to get warm in our master bath because that is across the cabin approx 50 ft away. 

It's probably not that great in saving water but we don't have the big water tank & don't have to keep the pilot light lit, it's instant on.  Ours is around 8 y/o & has never failed in any way.  Glenn put in pex for the interior water lines.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

mtman

Quote from: duncanshannon on December 17, 2011, 09:37:07 AM
inspiring progress!  do you sleep much?!

Dang, he builds things faster than I can read about it!  :)
Really looking good EaglesSJ

EaglesSJ

We are considering finishing the two opposing walls with windows in drywall instead of pine, and then finishing the wall with the french doors and the opposing wall as well as the ceiling with pine but were unsure how it will look. Also thinking of finishing all 4 lower walls with drywall and then the upper end wall and the ceiling with pine. If someone could provide pictures of other cabins that used a drywall/wood interior I would greatly appreciate it.

mogie01

You might want to check out this video that one of the builders did.  The used drywall on the walls and T&G on the ceiling, it looks amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQ5Q5E5bnU

EaglesSJ

Havent made an update in awhile so I thought I would post up some pics. First of the new addition as we got it insulated and wired up. Its now warm and full of light. I also got the hole cut in the living room leading into the bedroom but didnt take a pic for some reason. After Colton accidentally threw a stick of firewood a little too far while ricking it and cracked the front window I decided it was time to build a firewood rack. 1 pic is included of that.

Then I decided to take a day off and go deer hunting since the freezer was empty and with the price of beef these days it is just a lot more feasible (and more manly) to go out and get my own meat. So I done just that. A friend of mine from the Airforce was up from florida visiting and had never been hunting so it made for the perfect excuse. Spent several hours scouting tracks and tracing down trails until I finally took a big doe. I was very thankful for the delicious meal she provided the next day and the many more to come.

Had a doc appt today today where we got to see the little baby girl and check to make sure she is developing as she should be. We are very cautious about only getting the ultrasounds done when needed because of the studies linking brain damage to ultrasounds. It supposedly disrupts the cell reproduction and tissue formation with the ultrasonic waves.

Last but not at all least as it took me two days to complete, I tore out our old steps and rebuilt some with ALOT more function. It took lots of pondering and a few puffs of captain black through my ol pipe but I am very satisfied with the outcome. Lots of storage space and a nice little picture nook. Anyways without further ado I give you the pictures.

Texas Tornado

Wow!!! I do like those stairs!   Congrats on that sweet baby  ;D [cool]

Don_P

Closest pic I can find. I think drywall and wood looks fine and opens up other possibilities.
This drywall will be painted with a mural that will have a hickory tree with the horses under it. It was a favorite hangout of theirs before it fell.

I've used cattle panels to make infill in similar rails, I think it would take goat panel to meet code now. The "wire" on those is ~1/4" and welded, it takes rustoleum well. With the panel cut a little big, I took a 1/4" drill bit and made holes for the panel's wires to fit into in the woodwork of the 2x rails.