Changed: 10 x 12 with Loft Storage Shed in NW Wisconsin (Spooner Area)

Started by duncanshannon, June 11, 2011, 08:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncanshannon

Dang it.... i'm excited so I'm going to start my build thread.  :)  Its gonna take a couple of years to complete, but I dont really want to wait until we break ground to start.  There will be a lot of decisions to make, things to learn etc between now and then, so with the hope of this being comprehensive and helpful for someone else like me in the future... here goes nothing!

Some background... my wife and I have two young boys (4 and 6) and decided we want a place to take the kids as they grow and to build memories at.  While the market was (is?) down, we got the idea we should explore buying a low price cabin.  Shopped around quite a bit for a foreclosed or very low cost house/cabin somewhere. Looked at farms, cabins etc.  Didn't really find something that matched what we wanted to spend (got close tho... they tended to be a real dump tho).  We moved to looking at land instead, with a goal of building a cabin some day.  It was about this time that I found this incredible website/forum.  Got hooked on the idea of being an owner builder (after a brief phase of thinking we'd buy a small modular home).

We looked for land all around us, up to about a 3 hr radius.  Our budget for this crazy plan fit much better with buying raw land, however most people around here deff. associate 'cabin' with 'lake'.  We opted for more privacy (9 acres) instead of waterfront.  We do have two small pond/swamp areas...   We have some friends ~ 30 minutes away with a cabin on a lake and there is plenty of lake access within about 10 minutes of where we purchased the land.

We purchased it in the dead of winter and liked it quite a bit at that time. Rolling hills, heavily tree cover etc.  Was a little worried that we'd find something nasty when the snow melted like a bunch of old junk or who knows what.  I'm happy to report that we just got back from our first 'exploration' as a family on the land w/o snow... and it was better than expected!  Only bummer is the rampant Wood and Deer Tick problems... 3 ticks today.  2 Wood, 1 Deer.  No bites that we know of, so no lymes desease concerns so far!

Here are some photos in winter and then now in the spring.

Looking down the 'driveway'

Looking up the 'driveway'

"Front Pond" (Left side of aerial)

"Back Pond"  (Right side of aerial)

Woods Shot

Aerial

W/r/t cabin... we already purchased the 20x30 universal 2 story plans.  May build that, prob. 34' long. May go to 1 1/2 story.  Could build on a hill and have a walk out.  Need to decide between Full basement, crawl space, shallow frost protected foundation and even a pier/beam foundation.    Cost will be a major factor.  Major requirements at this point are 2 if not 3 bedrooms. We want to be able to take our family and at least one other family there to relax and have fun.  3rd bedroom (or loft/basement) would be for bunks.

Thinking about SIP's for the walls & roof.  Time being a big influencer there. I work a desk job (IT) about 2.5 hrs away.  Planning on taking a couple weeks off some summer to build a lot (hopefully with some friends).  Need to complete exterior construction within a year of beginning excavation according to the restrictive covenants on my land.

I'm pretty new to construction projects so I have a lot to learn between no and building our cabin.  I'm planning on 'training' quite a bit between now and then on projects around home.  Last year someone put in new windows and siding on half of my house.  Well... i'm going to do the other half.  Project thread here http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10605.0.

My plan is to post here when we do 'stuff' on the land or contemplate decisions about how to build some day.  

Oh - one last thing... really hoping to plant a dozen or so apple trees some day for a little apple orchard!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

rwanders

[cool]  Good looking property. I can promise you that some of the best memories you will collect will be during the construction of your cabin. Maybe a few painful ones too. 

Looking forward to your adventure---take lots of pictures.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Redoverfarm

Nice looking land site.  Looks like you have some able helpers.  I am sure they will enjoy the process as well.

Danfish

Now the real fun begins!  Lots of planning and decision making...

From the photos, looks like access and high water table could be issues impacting your choices on foundation/basement and method of construction.  You mentioned Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs) as one possible construction method.  SIPs offer unbeatable insulation and fast erection, but come at higher cost and require a crew that knows the ropes.  Some of the SIPs manuafactures and distributors offer construction training classes.  Site access can be an issue...large transport vehicle and often require a crane for erection.

I took a one day introduction to SIPs course and was surprised to have the contractor recommend conventional truss roof construction over SIPs due to higher cost of SIPs.  The SIPs estimate on my project was significantly higher than stick frame, so I went with stick frame...although it would have been nice to have the walls up and roof on in one week.

Time is money...take plenty of time to plan and you will save money.  Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress.

duncanshannon

thanks all.. pretty excited here.

I think (hope?) water table wont be an issue.  There is some contour to the land - of nothing else a bit of a ridge just east of the 'front' swamp/pond.  Then a gentle slope to the eastern edge of the property.  Lots I don't know yet... and dont need to make the foundation decision for a while.  Hopefully well/septic won't be another complicated angle.  I'm expecting a mound septic based on the usda soil and the other (1) permit pulled on the 80 acre 'development'.

I'm at home today (day off of work) 'training' for the cabin build.  Demolition on interior walls getting ready for framing in new windows. Maybe some header building today.
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 

oifmarine

I know how you feel.  I am in the planning process right now and am planning to start in the spring.  Our place is is Crawford County in Southwest Wisconsin.  Wea re going with the 20x30 1.5 story.  I can't wait to get started and also follow you as you get started as well.  Good luck!

duncanshannon

@oifmarine  - nice!

How did you arrive at the 1.5 story?

Also.. i looked for some time for land down by Maiden Rock etc but there didn't seem to be much parceled up (like there is up in 'cabin country') only larger parcels.  It was a visit to a B&B in Maiden Rock that got us down the whole "lets build a cabin" thing.

I also looked in SE MN, but even less small (<10 acre) parcels of land. Lots of 40+.

Very happy with what we found near spooner... but would have loved SW WI. Love those bluffs.

oifmarine

I really like some of the 1.5 stories that have been done on here.  I think I am going to do a whole second floor instead of a loft though but I am not positive yet.
My in-laws bought 15 acres that are surrounded by 150 acres of state natural area and they are giving us a small parcel to put up our cabin.  They already have a really nice cabin there so we have somewhere to stay while building.  Part of the property is one of the bluffs.  The scenery in that area is awesome.  It has a nice little trout stream running through it and is across the street from the mississippi.

Good luck on your build!  I will definitely be following your thread!

Toyotaboy

Hey!  Glad to see another Wisconsinite here!

Spooner, you're not to far from me. I'm in Taylor Co, near Medford, WI. I own 40 acres near Medford and am hoping to start my project this year. I have run into some issues with the DNR so things are getting delayed. :-\ PM me about the DNR issues you want.

Your property looks great. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

duncanshannon

@oifmarine

"I really like some of the 1.5 stories that have been done on here.  I think I am going to do a whole second floor instead of a loft though but I am not positive yet."

I'm thinking the same thing right now...

"Good luck on your build!  I will definitely be following your thread!" 

don't hold your breath.. not going to start anything major for about 5 years...  working on remodeling the home first!

@toyotaboy - I'll PM you some day about the DNR issues... sounds like no fun. I do have some questions about the 'wetlands' on my land.    Do you have a build thread yet?

Toyotaboy

No building thread yet. Waiting to hear back from the DNR for the final blessing.

Then I can move forward finally. What county are you in?

duncanshannon

@Toyotaboy -  sorry i never responded. I'm in Washburn county. Just west of Stone Lake a few miles.  Did you start yet?

Not much else to report here. I'm continuing to follow several build threads and work on my house.  I just ordered my second set of plans from John... this time the 1 1/2 story 20x3x (instead of the 2 story).  Seems like  a good compromise on space and cost. With that compromise I'm deff. thinking of a walk out basement to give more space there for storage and perhaps room for when we have a full house / bunks but not legal bedroom.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: duncanshannon on August 14, 2011, 08:11:04 AM
@Toyotaboy -  sorry i never responded. I'm in Washburn county. Just west of Stone Lake a few miles.  Did you start yet?

Not much else to report here. I'm continuing to follow several build threads and work on my house.  I just ordered my second set of plans from John... this time the 1 1/2 story 20x3x (instead of the 2 story).  Seems like  a good compromise on space and cost. With that compromise I'm deff. thinking of a walk out basement to give more space there for storage and perhaps room for when we have a full house / bunks but not legal bedroom.

Yes Mr. Inspector I like a two story work bench.  Just happens that I made them extra long for plenty of room to work on long tools.   ;)

duncanshannon

:)

There must be a joke in there about elves or santas workshop or something.

duncanshannon

OK... change of plans.

We want to start using our land sooner, and i like the idea of some practice.

At this point we are planning on building a 10x12 Shed with a loft on the land next summer (Full cabin in ~5 years).  This will make for a practice run of building a 'storage shed'.  Might even build it with a garage type door - dreaming of snowmobiles or 4 wheelers some day :D

With a loft we could store a lot more and spend the night there if we needed to.  Prob. need a generator for power.

Working thru the steps right now... I think i need to:

1) request a fire call #  address
2) create a site plan
3) get a drive way permit

anything else the township / county requires.  They publish info but nowhere did I see the "submit building plans" or get a 'building permit' part. 

duncanshannon

After trying to email back and forth with the Zoning dept, I finally gave in and gave them call :)  (too many only slightly informed questions to work well over email!)

I've submitted the paperwork (and checks.... $300) for a driveway inspection ($25) and 'land use' permit for the  first structure on a property ($275).  With that was also the paperwork to request a fire call / address - which may take 2-3 months for some reason.

I'm camping with the kiddos tonite part of the way there, so we are running up for the afternoon on saturday.  Meeting with an excavator / septic guy to show him the land and start talking ideas about a drive way, clearing a site and septic costs/locations.

I'm working on a site plan and want to get back there... goal is to have a better idea for where the driveway and 'yard' will be in the future. will prob. spend a little time trying to identify the metal corner posts marking the land.

CjAl

Nowhere else has better woods then WI. im a wi native now in east tx.

That septic shstem is the.main reason i.sold my place in wi. Mine was getting weak and i couldnt afford a super mound. Plus wi has turned into suck a nanny.state i.couldnt deal with them any longer. I almost got taken to court because i put a circle drive in and they freaked.out over two access points to the road instead of one.

Now i have no buildiing codes, septic cost $2300 installed and you can still afford lakefront property here. But i sure do miss wi summers.

Don_P

I think I've built 6 times in WI. 2 above Solon Springs, outside Medford, near Oconomowoc (Darn forgot how to spell that one), near New Glarus and outside Watertown. Beautiful country, good folks, damndest government I've ever run across. I sent my check in for my contractors license and forgot my signature on one line. They removed and cashed the check and returned the paperwork for me to have another go... new check needed please. I can see alot of the DNR rules, a good bit of the state is sensitive wetland... they can also get mighty carried away at times.

Darn, now I want a spotted cow and a friday nite fish fry.

CjAl

Quote from: Don_P on September 23, 2011, 09:05:13 PM
I think I've built 6 times in WI. 2 above Solon Springs, outside Medford, near Oconomowoc (Darn forgot how to spell that one), near New Glarus and outside Watertown. Beautiful country, good folks, damndest government I've ever run across. I sent my check in for my contractors license and forgot my signature on one line. They removed and cashed the check and returned the paperwork for me to have another go... new check needed please. I can see alot of the DNR rules, a good bit of the state is sensitive wetland... they can also get mighty carried away at times.

Darn, now I want a spotted cow and a friday nite fish fry.
my place was just outside new glarus. Town of albany. Wi has turned into the.biggest nanny state second only to ca.  One day i woke up to three tax people walking around my property measuring my pole building. Someone told them i just built it (it was built before i bought the house.) in tx that would equal three unmarked graves on the back 40.
 my wife worked for a very prominant land zoning attorny in madison. You wouldnt believe some of the stories i have. My favorite is the.old couple with a lake house who got approval to remodel their.house from the dnr. Then before the house was done.leadership in the dnr office changed and when the house was finished they made them tear down the whole house (including the original section) except for ten feet along one wall.

And boy do i ever miss my friday night fish fry at the new glarus hotel with the polka band

Sassy

That story about the remodel is just unbelievable - at least it used to be  >:(  now-a-days it's getting to be the norm - bunch of criminals running our cities, states & country!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

duncanshannon

Quote from: CjAl on September 24, 2011, 12:09:43 AM
Then before the house was done.leadership in the dnr office changed and when the house was finished they made them tear down the whole house (including the original section) except for ten feet along one wall.

unbelievable.  how in the world can that happen?!?!  Was there any ever reason like they missed something or did something wrong or was it just a 'we changed our mind'?

+1 for the spotted cow and related brews. they don't distribute in MN (where I live) so its deff. something to seek out in WI.

will be interesting to see how building goes. you folks might just make me freak out!

Don_P - I'm just about 2 hours NW of Medford.

Need to find me a Friday Night fish fry to try....

I'm really enjoying the woods. Had a great walk around the land with the kids today. easy walking, rolling hills, hardwood trees leaves just starting to turn.  cant wait to spend more time there.

hoping for a driveway and a 10x14 shed in the spring/summer.

met with a guy to talk about a drive way and some site clearing today. he suggested the same ridge (looking down towards the swampy/pondy thing) that my wife likes and it was pretty exciting to talk about where a drive way would go.  Prob. looking at $5k - 20' wide drive way, 600' long with the loop at the end. thats with me clearing the trees out of the remaining 300' that need to be cut down.  Need either a big turn around area or a loop for the fire trucks.  Prob. one culvert near the start of the drive way.

CjAl

The house was built back when you could build real close to the lakes. The new regulations say yiu have to be so far away from the water. They were grandfathered in because it was old. They were granted a waivier to remodel and add on to it and also rebuild a boat house. Wi has a major bug in their butts about boat houses for some reason. When the new guy took office he.made some new laws which allowed him to reverse the waiver but the work was almost done. Since they did a remodel and added on now they were no longer grandfathered in and had to adhear to the current regulations. Acording to them the only part of the house that was far enough away from the water was the furthest wall and ten feet in.
 its been years and i forget all the little details, im sure my wife remembers them all. I do believe the people finally won in court but it ended up costing hundreds of thousands Fighting the dnr.

i have lots of family in the antigo, wausau, medford area. My brother owned a big A frame right on the highway between medford and wausau. Beautifull place but his ex got mixed up with a bunch of meth heads and they destroyed it before he got them all out.

duncanshannon

Small yet exciting milestone... got the paperwork in the mail yesterday for two things:

1) An address! We now have a house number / fire call # for the road. Feels a little more real!

2) Zoning permit to build the storage shed. 

Now... just need some time and some money.

MWAndrus

Thats a pretty good price on the driveway. We paid $1800 for 200' with a large turn around at the end. We were able to get a little bit of a discount by paying in cash.

oifmarine

All these stories about the red tape and crazy government are making me not want to start on my place!   Seriously, living near Chicago, I have seen it all.  I can't even burn leaves at my house b/c they changed an ordinance b/c one of my neighbors doesn't like the smell of smoke.  So, instead of only having to keep the fire 30' from any dwelling, it has now been changed to 150', which, coincidentally nobody has that much space in my neighborhood.  Just crazy.

Anyway, I will definitely be following your build.  Mine is probably getting pushed back one more year but not sure yet.  Good luck.