Icosa Project...

Started by Kris, March 19, 2010, 09:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

That sucks about the truck, Kris.  Glad you are OK.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Kris

oh ya,,just a side note,,,the truck was $20,000.00 damage...so she is in a salvage yard getting parted out..and now the hunt for another truck begins....

John Raabe

An expensive trip! But if it is only money and stuff that can be replaced. Best wishes for a speedy recovery on all fronts.

Fun project, BTW!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Kris

5 windows framed up.one more to go..i think the change in heights will make this part of the cabin really neat when its on site.
i am doing 4 sealed units and 2 sliders for air flow....

speedfunk

looks great!  Glad your ok also

I love seeing projects like yours on here ..thanks. for sharing

Kris

i started the walls....the very custom walls.....ha ha...

fishing_guy

Do those brown bottles(bottom left) help you visualize the angles in your head?

Cool looking project!
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Kris

with a project like this, i need all the help i can get...ha ha

Kris

ended up doing 7 windows...5 sealed and 2 sliders..{rough cuts until on location}...
i put the roof struts and braces in today,,,and tomorrow i will start on the roof....

Ebony, my building inspector....

Jeff922

Sooo cool!  Looks like a sculpture.  I'm curious, are you figuring out all fo those funky angles mathmatically, with computer software, or just on-the-fly construction style?  Can't wait to see more.
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

Kris

my calculator and i have tried to figure out some angles,,,otherwise i just kinda figure it out on site..trial and error....the parallel struts are all based on about the same measurement..the hardest part is setting 2 angles up  for a single cut and then making sure the board's next cut is done properly..or you get 2 nice cuts but one is opposite of how it should be,....the harderst of all the angles have been figuring out a strut from the parallel wall struts to the first level of the roof board..{the boards that run along the windows}....

well......today is roof day...time to get to work.......

Kris

well....it was a very hot day..keep in mind that there was ice on the project 2 days ago.....

anyways...i got the roof on today,,,it was tricky in some spots but over all it went smooth..the bottom overhang will need to be adjusted a little, but i am happy with the progress.....

thanks to my dad for lending a hand..roofing alone would not go so smooth......

John Raabe

Coming along nicely - good work! :D :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Kris

the icosa moved to its new home,,,,,...here are some pictures...

Kris

speedfunk

awesome!  that is all  ;D

Kris

well...thanks for that..there is more to come,,,i now need to join it somehow to part 2... i am thinking of building something kinda like the "manshed", of which is posted in the forum..the join is kinda odd  since the icosa has a 8ft square opening and the attachment will be a 12 x 14 {plus roof differences}.....hmmmm.. something for me to ponder..

Kris

start of part 2 of the project....12 x 14 ,
lots of work but she is coming along........

i think i read on here somewhere that it always rains when it is time to sheet your floor..well instead off rain i got hail.....and then the sun came out.........

Kris

well..its been a sunny week..i have been camping over and working hard...

the rafters are mostly all on..kind of a birds-mouth thing happening on both sides..and then fastened with those h1 simpson brackets.  next on the list is to add a rafter extension{overhang on the east} and then connect the roof to the icosa.......and then go fishing..ha ha

Redoverfarm

Kris I have been watching your project as you progress.  I am not familiar with that particular design and was wondering why the walls of the Icosa are not plumb.  I am sure there is a logical explanation but to me it sort of looks how should I say Odd that way.  I guess I am more of a "box" builder.   

MountainDon

I think it's supposed to appear unusual.  It's hard for us guys who like to have 90 degree corners.  :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I didn't know if it had to do with structural support in the design or a visual difference.  I will have to "google" it to see them.

Kris

the shape i went with is an icosahedron..it is a unique shape...it is artistically pleasing since it is much like a cupola, and is structurally stronger then a rectangle building and also has more cubic feet.
i wanted to explore shapes outside of the rectangle...and figured the icosa was a good starting point.. they can get much more complicated as you increase them into a sphere.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icosahedron     this link talks abit about the shape...
and this link shows different variations on geo-domes..

http://www.gardendome.com/

thanks for checking in on the project...

Kris

ive been away for a month, so she has been sitting and waiting for her tin roof to go on..,,,....and getting the rest of the windows in....,,,,slowly but surely.....

Kris

i got the roof joined to the icosa and i went with shingles this time around instead of tin...