Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tickhill

Wish you the best OJ! Let us know how it goes.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

OlJarhead

Thanks Tic. 

Trust me!  You'll all know! LOL  for one there will be a FLURRY of activity as I order all kinds of stuff for the cabin! lol  and of course then a frenzied me posting all kinds of stuff as I try to get so much done!

Would be a cold winter if I didn't get a lot of wood cut and split too!  I've got about two cords now, maybe a little more, but there is enough dead trees around that I should be able to stack up a few more to be safe.

OlJarhead

The interview went VERY well today and I've been asked to meet with the VP of Ops for a 'meet and greet' which they prefer to do before making an offer.....which makes me think they are planning on making an offer soon! :D

OlJarhead

Monday is 'breakfast' meeting with the big boss.  If all goes well I'll be ordering a generator and other items for the cabin shortly there after!

As of now I'm getting the address paperwork done so I can have that ready.  I'll need it to order a phone and propane etc.

Then I'll get up there next weekend and work on the outhouse (backup for the composter if it gets really cold) so we can use it when we take the compost toilet out to build the new room.

rugger8

OlJarhead -

Almost there now, but don't take anything for granted, keep your game face on.  Do the small followups, thank you cards, etc. 

Good luck with the rest of the process!  We are all rooting for you! :)

Jeff

OlJarhead

Thanks again all!  I'm waiting on the offer now :)

Meanwhile I'm working on my foundation plans.  Here is something I found that is close:

Only difference is that I plan to do a monolithic pour instead so I'll run the 2" foam under the 4" floor and right to the footing edge and then do the outside foam to above grade (I'll have to flash that).

On top of the slab I'll do dry stacked surface bonded concrete cinder blocks to 8" above grade then build 5-6 foot walls on top of those which will give me a 7 or 8 foot ceiling (I'm thinking 7 feet will be fine).

I plan to do a 4x12 pitch with the peek 4' in from the back wall of the cabin.  This will give me the best snow shedding capability on the compost room and prevent dumping onto the generator.

Now I need to research getting in a load of crushed rock.

OlJarhead

This is more what I'm trying to do.

I'll have to investigate some crushed rock which I think I need and I'll need a vapor barrier under the insulation with rebar going around the footing portion of the slab (3" from edge and top) and some metal in the floor.  I'll have to put rebar coming out of the footing up into where the cinder blocks will go but I think you only have to do corners and every 4th cavity (have to check that).  Then once poured I'll need to drop in J bolts so I have some way to secure the walls to the cinder block wall.

I'm planning on putting the door in above ground so it will have to be a short door -- all my efforts to do other wise present various problems (like flooding if it's set down below grade for example), more construction issues and so on.

But I don't like the idea of a 4 or 5 foot door either so I might have to compromise here somehow.  Perhaps  having one course of cinder block (8") then the door with a drain under the entrance and a 'porch roof' might work too.  It is a challenge.

UK4X4

Join the underfloor insulation to the wall down the slope- to fully encapsulate the foundation
and wouldnt you not have a wider perimeter edge beam- min 12" wide then slope up to the floor

like the LHS pic

OlJarhead

DOH!  In my rush to draw I forgot that.  Was going to go with the width of the bucket on the excavator so either 12", 16" or 22" LOL

I think it probably should be 16" but I'm unsure when it comes to monolithic pours.  Of course this is for a shed though so probably 12" would be fine.

It will be down 2 feet below grade (maybe more if we can get it down lower) and a min of 8" deep at the footing and 4" of concrete slab floor over 2" insulation.

OlJarhead

This should be a little closer.  Bear in mind I'm not showing the footing on the facing wall nor the insulation that will come up the cinder blocks in order to show the shape of the footing and insulation under the floor.

I didn't put the 'pad' I will pour at the entrance and I think I'll put in a drain there also.  That way if I get some melt off or rain in there it will have somewhere to go.

I've added the insulation going down tot he base of the footing also though i don't think it should be under the footing.

One question I have is this:  do I need crushed rock under this floor?  It's a 'shed' type room so not the same standard, as I understand it, for a house but I'm uncertain if I 'must' have crushed rock there or not???

MountainDon

QuoteI've added the insulation going down tot he base of the footing also though i don't think it should be under the footing.

Lets look at that. Many of us build on soil that has a load bearing capacity of 2000 to 3000 pounds per sq FOOT

The common blue and pink foams available at every big box store are rated at 15 pounds per sq INCH. Multiply 15 x 144 sq inches and we get 2160 pounds per sq foot. If ya need more compressive capacity there are foams with greater capacity; 25 PSI is the next step up.  25 x 144 = 3600 PSF. Way more than needed for almost any residential application. Though as I learned a while back the insulation suppliers will try to get you to buy the 25 psi stuff. So will some BO's ;( building officials.) I've seen lots of slabs here in NM with foam under the whole shebang. Wish my old one was.

So with that, why not place the foam under footings too.

There are foams that go up to 100 psi for really big things.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Thanks Don -- makes sense :)  and then the footing will be insulated as well.

My wife and I just got back from HD.  Hated to do it but dropped $450 on OSB, studs, PT lumber and the like for the Outhouse which I MUST get done ASAP.

Why an outhouse when you have a composting toilet?  In the long run as backup in case something goes wrong or if many guests come to stay and in the short run to provide a place to empty the composter so it can be removed for the new building and then a 'facility' for using when the composter room is being built -- and until I can re-install it.

My original cabin plan involved putting in the outhouse for winter use if the composter was getting overused as a 'storage' facility when it freezes and while I am to prevent that being needed it never hurts to have a back up plan :)

OlJarhead

The excitement builds!!!!  I have the truck packed with lumber, have a 32" LCD ready to go and an antenna (yes I will need entertainment on those long winter nights) and just ordered a set of skid steer forks, back blade and auger (picl up the forks today).

Ya, I'm TOTALLY stoked :)

OlJarhead

Got on the road by 3:30 on Friday with a bed full of lumber and OSB (probably pushed the limits of my F150!) and a trailer loaded with a new set of Skid Steer forks and some saws etc.  We arrived late and and got settled in for the night with plans to get an early start.

As usual I didn't sleep late and after breakfast etc was setting up by 8am!

Thanks to the forklift attachment for the tractor it was a simple matter to transport gear and materials to the location I'd chosen for the outhouse a few years ago.

We constructed a shoring box out of PT lumber

Then used the tractor to lower it into the hole we'd cleaned out (and had dug 2 years ago)

Nothing beats having the right tools!

A little effort and the shoring was level and solidly placed.

Framing the floor and walls didn't take long and the rafters weren't too hard to sort though I was off slightly I figured no one would notice! lol

Bee or wasp?  To me it looked like a beehive but my buddy thought wasp.  If it's NOT bees then it has to go!

Not quite complete but it won't take much to finish off :)

The riser I've had in the shed for 3 years in anticipation of this moment :)  Frankly, I'm very happy with it :)

Skid Steer front end :)  LOVE IT!  It's a simple matter to swap out the bucket for the forks!

The shoring worked nicely and I must admit I feel it's a shame to use it for this! lol but I'm hopeful it will last for years and years!

In reality this 'outhouse' won't get used much.  It is mostly just for backup and a place for me to dump the composting toilet this weekend when I remove it in order to construct a new room for it.  Then once the composting toilet is re-installed the outhouse will serve as a backup for emergency use or when there are more guests staying at the cabin then the composter can handle.  As such I anticipate the outhouse should last a LONG LONG time :)

Also, many ask why it's so far away?  Partly to keep the odor distant enough to not be an issue around the cabin and partly because it's tough to find good places to easily dig on our property near the cabin and lastly because it must be placed at least 100 feet from the nearest water source.  So, far away it is :)  But that's ok, it's a backup remember?

Redoverfarm

Looks like a white face Hornet nest.  Nasty litle buggers.  Got a nest hanging on my porch at the cabin.  Empty of course.  ;)

OlJarhead

The last hurdle has been breached!  I'm clear to start this new position and have accepted the offer (I had to wait for my current company to release me from my contract - sort of - in order to start with CenturyLink).

So ya, it's a done deal now :)

While at the cabin I hooked up a TV and antenna and picked up ZERO channels.  Not even fuzzy ones.  Before going I'd checked online and it looked like all signals went over us about 600 feet up.....so no rabbit ears will work for me and I'll have to get DishTV or whatever is the best out there.  Considering I'll be getting Sat internet too I will probably look to see what I can do to get a cheaper setup (bundle it up assuming that will be cheaper).

This weekend will be trenching, water main, phone line and flooring/foundation work weekend :D  With luck I'll have the water done and composter room floor ready :)

Redoverfarm

Eric don't know if Imentioned it but with Dish they are advertising the net at $40 +/- if you have Dish TV. Suppose to be $10 off i  But then they get you back with a $10 equipment rental monthly for the Net modem.  Can't win.   ???

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 26, 2013, 01:05:03 PM
Eric don't know if Imentioned it but with Dish they are advertising the net at $40 +/- if you have Dish TV. Suppose to be $10 off i  But then they get you back with a $10 equipment rental monthly for the Net modem.  Can't win.   ???

Thanks :)  Since I will be working for CenturyLink who owns Dish I might be able to get a deal ;)  Hoping so!

OlJarhead

UK4X4

Congratulations on the new job !

considerations

WHOOPEE!! On the new job...redover is probably right...in this region we call them bald faced hornets and they are big, foul tempered, agressive, and pack a whallop.  Suggest a stealth strategy, at night, when it is cool and they are sluggish. You cant run fast enough or far enough and don't want to miss your first week of work cause of a hornets' bad attitude. (Yes, i know this first hand)   :-[

Redoverfarm

Agressive is probably an understatement.  My FIL had once told me a story when he was younger decided to throw rocks at a nest some 60-80 feet away.  Yep you guessed it.  They followed the trail of the rock to it's launch point and zero'd right to the forehead. rofl  He since then had the upmost respect for there home.   ;D

considerations

The first shed I built on this property is near some big douglas firs...things were going great till I started with the screwing down the roof. The nest was in a drooping nearby branch. Getting higher meant I got closer and they took exception to the vibrations...or so it seems. That being said, we do not know for certain what is in Oljarheads nest. I just do know of any other wasps that build like that and that big.

rick91351

When I was a teen doing some time in the 'woods' a bald face hornet hit me in the hard hat (one of those metal ones) so hard it rang like a bell and startled me so much I went to my knees.  My dad and his buddy about died laughing.  They said it was most likely a bald face hornet all I know was thank God for hard hats.  [scared]
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.