How do you start your day?

Started by Redoverfarm, July 18, 2009, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Mine is usually started at about 6AM. I used to be an earlier riser but since i retired that time keeps getting later and later.  I think I have it stabilized now.  Coffee pot is self timed so I usually don't have to wait for it  c*.  Plug into CNN news to see who has came or gone during the night.  Then after seeing the headlines I head over to the puter.  A quick check of the E-mails usually reveils Country Plans post.  That way I can see who's house colapsed during the night. ;).  Yes it shouldn't take long you say but then again I see something that I might know something about so a little longer than I anticipated.  Then to the junk box.  Never know whats is there.  I belonged to three other boards so a quick check is all that's necessary.  A quick check on Facebook and I am done with the important things.  I usually gander at the other headlines throughout the state and see if they are going to cancel my pension or not or if we have joined the state of Virginia again.  Everything looks OK so now it's time to get the boy up. Anyone have a surefire way to get a 14 YOA out of bed during the summer break.  ;D.   By this time it is packing a lunch box.  The wife usually leaves for work around 7:30 so that's my que to head up on the mountain.  Oh yeah I forgot.  Get out of bed now or I am leaving you home.

Curtis

5AM, the darkness is just being replaced with morning light.
Stretch, yawn, sometimes hit snooze and just go back to bed.
Eat breakfast, typically a bagel and cream cheese with a banana or something, and make a hot glass of tea with a bit of milk and home made honey. Meanwhile checking emails real quick, some other forums real quick and maybe log onto Facebook to waste even more time before I start my day off.

By 5:30-6 I am typically outside. I live where I work so that cuts down on commuting. I'll sharpen my shovel and my axe, and bring those with me to the area of the property that I am working on. Currently just taking out invasive brush and stuff, part of the property has "returned to nature" as I like to think of it. Take bushes out by the roots, chop down trees with an axe that don't need to be there.

I'll work for a few hours, typically until around 10 and by that time its already in the 90's. So i'll just come back inside and do web work and try to market our produce and find local and statewide outlets, fill out paper work, take long long naps, do general stuff around the house to keep it in order.

Thats more or less it.
-Curtis

muldoon

usually up between 6:30 and 7, alarm goes off at 7 but I usually turn if off and let my wife sleep until the kids get up.  I make the coffee, walk outside and have my coffee and cigarette in quiet in the garden.  come back in, and shower, shave and get ready for work.  see the kids around the table for breakfast and leave for work. 

on weekends, usually up at the same time and semi-same rituals except no shaving.  after breakfast, plan out the day and go from there. 

MushCreek

I'm up at 4:30 AM (weekends too). I read the paper, drink coffee, and do all of the word puzzles- our local paper has 4, Jumble, Cryptoquote, and 2 crosswords. I have oatmeal almost every day, and check email before I head out to work at 5:30. On weekends, I do the same thing, except for I head to whatever project(s) I have going in the garage.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

Usually up when the birds and critters in the forest start getting restless, if not the radio comes on at 6:30, coffee pot is burping by then if I haven't punched its button. Throw some pork bellies and chicken fruit on black iron and check to make sure the border is still secure from WV  :). We listen to get anything now, only got one TV station before and that winked out when they did the switch. Let the girls out of the coop, check another forum to see whether the spammer is from China or India today, look in here and go to do public work if I have to or head for the woods, shop, or mill depending on what needs doing.

ScottA

Up at 6:30. Make coffee, boot the computer. Drink the coffee while reading the news. The wife starts work at 7:00 3 feet away at her desk.  Feed the pets, make the bed and out the door by 8.

StinkerBell

I generally start my day by taking a very deep breath. Once I decided I have not smelled any burning candles or flowers I think Good  am still alive. Then I get up and go straight for the coffee.

phalynx

7:15am Alarm radio goes off to some country tune that I have heard before, usually about the same time yesterday - SLAP! Alarm goes silent.
7:30 Alarm radio goes off to some talking SLAP!
7:45 Alarm radio goe SLAP!
8:00 SLAP! (preemptive)
8:05 Wife comes in shaking my shoulder gently, "Scott, time to get up"
8:10 Friendly reminder from wife "Scott, time to get up"
8:12 I begin to hear the tiny sounds of what sounds like 50 tacks tapping the floor.  It's my dog.  Here he comes, HAA HAAA HAA HEE HEEHEE (He says Good Morning in the pant smelled round the world)
8:12:01  I'm up I'm up, you stink!
8:15 Hit the shower, brush teeth and a little manscaping.
8:35 Grab everything out of my little tray next to my bed.  Keys, iphone, Blackberry, pocket knife, badge, belt, wallet, CHECK!
8:36 Grab shoes off the floor and head to the family room to attempt to match left to left, right to right.  I heard the sounds little feet pitter pattering upstairs and then slowly coming down the stairs in what only sounds like a drunken stagger, the sound of hands sliding against the wall for support.  Finally a quick few last dangerous sounding steps and a collapse on the couch next to me.  I resume, let's see, left goes on left...
8:38  The imaginary line forms next to me.  Who gets to give Dad the first goodbye hug this morning.  My dog comes around and gets in line.
8:39  The oldest was first, quick hug that starts to energize my day.  Youngest next, self energy getting charged up more now.  Wife hands me a Diet Coke and a nice hug.  Battery is fully energized now.  Out the door I head, BARK BARK BARK BARK...  Crap, forgot about Doogan.  I reach over and scratch his rather large cotton ball head and he just leans into it.  NOW, I am ready to go.  "Goodbye Dad!, Bye honey, BARK", the last sounds I hear before I jump into my truck for the 1:15 commute to the "big city".

Dog

FOX and Friends

Coffee, 2 cigarettes and/or Liquid Sublingual B Complex.

Light weights and stretches, yoga or bike in front of TV.

try to figure out god

Off to a fascinating day  :)

The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

peternap

Boy....I must not sleep much!

Get up at 3:30

Bring up my website that has all the Va news, Drudge on another tab and Opencarry and this site on other tabs.

Turn TV onto CNBC and start checking the overseas markets.

Check email and look at yahoo finance.

By that time I have a good idea what to buy, sell or just pass on the day.

At daybreak (around 5:30 these days) I head out to start whatever I plan on doing that day.

9:30 I'm back on the computer wherever I am, to make watch whatever trades I preset.

From there on, every day is different.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Summer (no work and being up in the mountains): up around 6:30 AM.

The rest of the year (work): up at the crack of 8:00 AM (reluctantly)

Wash.
Coffee, yogurt, a banana, mini-wheats.

News and email check.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Usually wake up at exactly 6:22 every day.  I have no idea why, but if I look at the clock and it doesn't say 6:22, I am always surprised.  I have just enough time to run in the bathroom and put on some clothes before my youngest wakes up.  Nurse her for a few minutes and then fix her some breakfast and sit down with my coffee and make silly faces at the baby while she's eating...only this week I'm out of coffee and that's throwing everything off.  Just as I've about gotten her cleaned up and out of the high chair my oldest hits me hard with a hug from the side and asks if I can make her some "poached slimy" eggs for breakfast, with salsa please.  I'm halfway through making the poached eggs (I decide to have some too) when I look at the clock and realize it is nearly 8 o'clock already... where did the time go??  So I holler at the middle one who comes growling out of her den and flops down on the couch, glaring at everyone from a lowered brow.  But she doesn't want eggs.  She wants oatmeal with blueberries in it.  So, after I get her oat meal and then have to call her two or three times to get her off the couch where she's dozed back off, I finally sit down to eat my egg, which is cold by this time.  About that time, I usually see that the baby has either: a) climbed up on the back of the couch and is weilding a red sharpie marker, or b) see that the baby has climbed up onto the middle of the dining table and is trying to reach the fan pull.  (Usually sometime around 10, I notice my eggs still sitting there half eaten... no wonder I'm hungry!)  In order to distract the little one from getting into stuff she shouldn't, we go check on the chickens and pet the chickens and talk about the chickens, and she screams her head off when we have to go back in.
Each day is different from that point on.

cordwood

4:30 AM for the past 28 years or so (since I broke my back) It's eyes open then release inner pressure, Wonder if something like that is toxic :o :o Then it's off to the bathroom to make tinkling noises, & wonder why it takes so much effort for so little reward ??? Then after a few  c* c* c* it's back to the bathroom for some other noises with usually MUCH more reward ;D and my day is liable to go any direction after that :)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

Curtis

I haven't been sticking to my schedule as planned.

I'm still up from yesterday, spent the entire night irrigating which is always interesting. Nothing like walking around at night turning valves, coming inside for 20-30 minutes at a time for 10+ hours and just wandering around in the darkness with a flash light and your trusty pit bull to spot out the things my eyes can't see.

I'm too lazy / young / stupid to know how to make good coffee, luckily for me town isn't TO far away, short drive or so. There is one chain fast food place there, and in the past I have never eaten there, hate it. HOWEVER... they do have good Iced Coffee. Even though their food is horrible, McDonalds has good coffee... Plus I use those card where they punch the hole in them, so after four you get a free one. Then, the nice manager lady always gives me a stack of like ten more (i'm there every day, sometimes twice. Its becoming an expensive habit). And each of those ten she gives me has a coupon attached for a FREE coffee that can be used whenever, with no purchase necessary.

The thing is, after the sun is up no matter how tired I was just before, it breathes new energy in me so I think i'll just stay up at this point until I feel the need to sleep.

God I love working where I live and all the befits of that. And yes, I have had my coffee already and as a result I am rambling.
-Curtis