Wood burner in a post and beam construction?

Started by deck99, February 17, 2009, 06:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deck99

Hi,
I am finalizing my plans to build a post and beam man cave, I mean woodworking shop in my backyard.  I want to put a small wood burner in the shop since I have access to fire wood.  I was looking at the Vogelzang stoves.  I noticed that they say the following in their literature:

May NOT be installed in mobile homes,
manufactured homes, trailers or tents.
(NO Exceptions)

I am assuming people use wood burners in their cabins with wood floors??????Right??????

I know that they make mats to sit your stove on.

Thanks,

Deck

By they way, who else out there produces a pot belly stove besides Vogelzang?

Redoverfarm

deck

With the proper safeguards utilized with any wood burning stove on and in a wood structure you should be fine.  Safeguards meaning a floor plate (tile, concrete, metal) and surrounding clearence( wall and other combustionable surfaces).  I have had two pot belly stoves and they have to be tended to very often as they are not even close to being airtight.  I think if I was going to put a stove in my shop it would be one of the newer styles that will hold the fire and heat a little longer.  You can check Craigslist as there are always stoves for sale at a fraction of their original price. A wood stove in the shop makes since to burn up your scraps but you should take caution if you are using flamable finishes and their vapors.   But if your heart is content on a Pot Belly here are a few.

http://www.2kstore.com/stove/stv2.htm
http://www.nextag.com/potbelly-stove/search-html
http://www.shopwiki.com/search/potbelly+stoves
http://sutherlands.com/products/product.php?item=6468714

cordwood

Something to watchout for with woodworking shop and fire is that SAWDUST EXPLODES! [shocked]
I have had a woodstove in every mobile home I have lived in and still don't understand why the industry says you can't do it. ??? The house we live in now is not much different than a mobile home except it don't have a nice steel frame under it. Wood floors, Paneled walls and Glue, Paint and solvent smells abound.
I have never been able to get insurance with a woodstove in anything but built on site house. None of our mobiles were covered with a woodstove. We had a hard time finding someone to insure our house now with the stove, Most wanted a letter from a professional installer. (to go back on in case of a fire no doubt)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

Redoverfarm

Did anyone at a Insurance Company figure out how everyone heated their homes before electric. d* d*

Squirl

There have been many discussions about that brand of stove brought up on this forum.  They are sold at most big box home stores and tractor supply stores.  A great point about saw dust was brought up.  Many others don't buy them because of clearance issues.  I believe there is a federal regulation requireing them to meet certain guidlines for use in mobile homes.

MountainDon

Vogelzang stoves are what they are; cheap stoves. No pretense at being airtight. And the clearance from combustibles is greater than most other better and more costly stoves.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jb52761

I've had a Vogelzang stove in my cabin for almost 4 years now, and I am happy with it. It works great, never have a problem with smoke escaping or anything like that. And I still don't get all the humbug about being so airtight. I lived in Wyoming for five years and had several stoves that were not totally airtight, and again, no probs. And obviously they didn't leak CO and kill me.....jb

deck99

I don't have any dust issues since I use an air filtration system on the ceiling and dust collection on my equip.  I also use water based poly's which are not flamable.  I am considering going with really good insulation and a nice 220 volt ceiling mounted heater.....but I do love the feel of a warm fire that is virtually free, especially when I am just hanging out in the shop and reading.  I'll have to see what I decide......first thing is to ge the shop built!

deck