Mamas, don't let your babies take shotguns to high school...

Started by Pox Eclipse, November 22, 2009, 11:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pox Eclipse

Student expelled for having unloaded shotguns in truck
QuoteThe Willows Unified School District board of trustees has expelled a 16-year-old for having unloaded shotguns in his pickup parked just off the Willows High School campus.

The reason I post this is that, even as a lefty-liberal, I think this is going too far.  He wasn't on school property, and it is a rural area where hunting is common.  The school over-reacted.

MountainDon

I totally agree with you, it's an overreaction. The kid was smart enough to know he should not drive onto school property with the firearms. I guess he should have parked 1001 feet away, I believe that is the law.

We've had a student get into trouble because they borrowed a parents key chain that had a 1 inch blade swiss army knife attached.

I'm generally not an ACLU an, but they might be interested in this.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Dang, Pox ... you got me on that one.  :)

I agree.  Maybe not real smart on the part of the kid but still legal around here and whoda thunk they'd make a big deal out of it.  Stretching the faux terror a bit there.  I think they should wait for the real thing.

Leave it to the California school system... drunk on their own power.  They had an officer standing by with his hand on his gun when I went in for the parent teacher conference in about 1984 -- seems I had said some rather mean things to them over the phone.  [noidea'

I was truck driving out of town - long hauling, barely making enough to survive, and they made me come in for the conference under threat of sending me to jail if I did not show up.

They wanted me to sign a contract saying my son who had been ill would not miss another day of school.

I told them to sign it themselves and walked out.  Their city cop could have shot me in the back I suppose but I didn't care.  He didn't scare or impress me. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 22, 2009, 11:52:07 PM
 Maybe not real smart on the part of the kid but still legal around here and whoda thunk they'd make a big deal out of it.  

Actually, it's not legal there Glenn, or anywhere else in the United States unless you have a Concealed Weapons Permit. Under Federal Law it's illegal to have a firearm within 1000 feet of a school (Grades K-12). The dirtbags did add a provision to allow it for people with a CHP/CCW but otherwise it's a technical violation to even drive past a school with a gun in the car.
That's one of those laws I try to forget exist.....Bottom line, NEVER CONSENT TO A SEARCH.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

ScottA

When I was in school it was common to see guns in the gunracks of pickups parked in the school parking lot. These people have lost it.

peternap

Quote from: ScottA on November 23, 2009, 08:13:05 AM
When I was in school it was common to see guns in the gunracks of pickups parked in the school parking lot. These people have lost it.

Me too Scott. We could even bring them in school and leave them in the gun rack in the Principals office.
The 1000 foot rule is scary. You could be charged if you had a gun while driving past a school unles you were passing through another state and had it unloaded in your trunk.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

desimulacra

Heck when I went to college our Dorm Father was an avid hunter. We were not allowed to bring any ammo into the dorm but guns were fine. He was afraid that if we left guns in the cars someone would steal them. He was always wanting to see any new guns we had and would go hunting with us. SAme in high school. I do not remember anyone or hearing of anyone ever misusing a gun.
West Tennessee

RainDog

The times, they are a' changin'.

Not unusual at all for kids in my son's grade (6th) to get suspended for carrying a "weapon". Y'know, some innocuous camping or hygienic tool. From what I can tell, nobody even seems to object much.

I really hate that word "sheeple", but sometimes the shoe fits.

NE OK

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: peternap on November 23, 2009, 05:44:22 AM

Under Federal Law it's illegal to have a firearm within 1000 feet of a school (Grades K-12).

What if you LIVE within a 1000 feet of a school?   ???

peternap

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on November 23, 2009, 03:45:59 PM
Quote from: peternap on November 23, 2009, 05:44:22 AM

Under Federal Law it's illegal to have a firearm within 1000 feet of a school (Grades K-12).

What if you LIVE within a 1000 feet of a school?   ???

Then you're in technical violation. Really no different than driving by one. It hasn't been enforced that I know of because much of that law has already been invalidated by the courts.

glenn kangiser

Hmm hmm I don't think our town is much over 1000 feet wide in the area of the school...

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bayview

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

It'll be interesting to see the results of the appeal to the county board.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

yeah, pretty dumb of that kid.  While Willows isn't really a city, its not really that rural either.  Little town in a farming area.  Expulsion might be a bit steep, but seriously, it does not take much in the way of brains to know that you don't take a firearm to school, loaded or not.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

peternap

Quote from: Jens on November 29, 2009, 09:37:19 PM
yeah, pretty dumb of that kid.  While Willows isn't really a city, its not really that rural either.  Little town in a farming area.  Expulsion might be a bit steep, but seriously, it does not take much in the way of brains to know that you don't take a firearm to school, loaded or not.

He didn't Jens!

Where do they draw the line. Can he have it in his room at home.
He did nothing wrong. It was in his vehicle and NOT on school property.

Jens

The gun was in his truck, that he drove to school.  I don't mean to say that he took it into class or anything.  Both sides are a bit ridiculous to me.  School shouldn't have expelled him, he was dumb for taking it (or maybe parents for letting him).  Like I said, Willows is a cute little town, but nowhere near podunk. 
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

NM_Shooter

Laws like this aggravate me to no end, primarily because they are established and endorsed by complete micro-managing idiots.

Wasn't there an Eagle Scout who recently got suspended for having an emergency backpack in his trunk that had a small knife in it?

No pen knives allowed.  But a 6" pair of scissors is just fine.  Someone should show the principal what you get when you take the little screw out of the fulcrum point on the scissors.  On second thought... scratch that idea.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Gary Tudesko, the student, has had his expulsion reversed by the school board. The board stated the school acted in excess of its jurisdiction because Tudesko's truck was not on school property or at a school activity.

http://calgunlaws.com/index.php/current-litigation/82-cases-litigation/849-board-of-education-overturns-tudesko-expulsion.html

Redoverfarm

What would society say if they were living some 30 years ago when kids would openly take their new firearms to school to show the teacher and students what they got for Christmas. And there was never a school shooting then. God Forbid trying it now.

ScottA

Onkeludo2

I was probably part of the last generation that saw gun racks with hunting rifles and shotguns in the school parking lot in Stillwater, OK.  I do remember a new assistant principal hassling an FFA kid about showing his buddy his new varmit gun after school.  They were still sitting in the bed of his pick-up on the street next to school parking lot.  The coaches and Principal set him straight.

I have no idea how I am going to adjust to a world where coworkers are not cleaning their m9's and m4's in their offices over coffee.  Dinner just won't be the same without tripping over the odd m240 that is too long to go all the way under the table.

Mike
Making order from chaos is my passion.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I remember a lot of us had gun racks in our trucks when I was in high school.  During deer season, a lot of them had a gun in them.  (I had a rack, but didn't bring a gun to school.)  It wasn't THAT long ago... 15-20 years?... in a small OK town.

Onkeludo2

If you can't remember how many years ago high school was...err, um...maybe it was more than 20?  I will miss my 20th reunion this summer so even if you aren't miscalculating how long ago it was were still talking the same time period. 

For our school, the rule was clear, don't take it out of the vehicle...other than that, no problem.

Mike
Making order from chaos is my passion.

peternap

Quote from: Onkeludo2 on March 24, 2010, 01:09:37 PM
If you can't remember how many years ago high school was...err, um...maybe it was more than 20?  I will miss my 20th reunion this summer so even if you aren't miscalculating how long ago it was were still talking the same time period. 

Mike

I think I missed my 20th.......20 couple years ago :-\