Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

I used 7/16". It's as cheap or cheaper than sheetrock and pretty easy to install. It also makes it easy to attch stuff like shelfs and cabinets to the wall. The way this house is there are shelfs and cabinets on just about every wall. The veneer stone wall behind my woodstove is attached to OSB covered with wire mesh and mortar.

Jens

not to rush you, but when do we get to see the trim details with that paneling?  My wife was looking over my shoulder, and saw the pics of your yet-to-be-completed cabinets and said, "I thought Bruce Willis would have real fancy cabinetry."  She's always commenting about your profile photo.  Looks good...I'm waiting...
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

I don't know if Bruce is into fancy cabinets or not. My wife said this was what she wanted so I make it so. So far I think the choices on this project have worked pretty well. The whole thing just evolves from day to day. As for when..soon I should think.

Jens

don't get me wrong, I think you are doing a great job.  I just thought DW's comment was funny.  Basically like "he's so rich, you'd think he'd have exotic hardwood cabinets, and someone else building them.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

Kitchen window details. Small shelfs flanking the window.

The cabinets are sanded and ready to stain tomorrow. We'll see how the little wood stove does in 40 degree weather with the windows open.  d*

Redoverfarm

Getting there slowly but surely.  Now the tedious part. Doors?

Mike 870

That looks awesome.  I really like the way you did that.  The recessed light will add a great touch too.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Jens on December 01, 2009, 08:44:32 PM
not to rush you, but when do we get to see the trim details with that paneling?  My wife was looking over my shoulder, and saw the pics of your yet-to-be-completed cabinets and said, "I thought Bruce Willis would have real fancy cabinetry."  She's always commenting about your profile photo.  Looks good...I'm waiting...

Pine is fancy cabinetry... real wood. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Wow Scott, be careful, you'll have us all packing to move in with you.  The cabinetry is looking sweet!

Redoverfarm

OK Scott the suspense is killing us.  I know you have sneaking in to finish the cabinets. ;D

ScottA

It's a slow process John. I've been badly side tracked the past few days as well. Sorry to say I won't make the deadline. Drawer guides are in. Cabinets are stained but not finnished yet.

phalynx

Hey Scott, it looks like you got a promotion.  You are a STICKY!!!

Abbynrml

Maybe he just spilled the wood glue???

ScottA

Oh great. It's not like I don't already have enough pressure to finish this cabin.  d*

phalynx

Quote from: ScottA on December 15, 2009, 01:45:39 PM
Oh great. It's not like I don't already have enough pressure to finish this cabin.  d*
It's a popularity contest man! A popularity contest!!!!   :-\

Redoverfarm

And who said you couldn't move up in this world. ;D

glenn kangiser

I want to see how the backhoe view window is coming along..... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Merry Christmas all.

Quick update. I've been tied up on other jobs the past couple of weeks so not much progress at deer run. The concrete countertops are poured. I hope to get the forms stripped off this weekend. We are expecting alot of snow tonight so I don't know how much I'll be able to do but we'll see. The floors should start going in next week. The schedule is clear at the moment so maybe more real progress soon.

MaineRhino

Looking forward to the pics of the countertop. I won't get to work at my camp until April!

ScottA

I managed to get over to deer run and back. Only got stuck 3 times.

poppy

Nice winter shot of your cabin.

So now that you have poured the concrete counter top, would you do it again?

devildog

ScottA, I think your countertops look great. This is something I have interest in myself, and was wonderingif you could give us pros and cons on doing it yourself. And I know its alot to ask,but maybe a quick tutorial on how you did yours.
thanks Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

ScottA

QuoteSo now that you have poured the concrete counter top, would you do it again?

I don't know yet poppy. The concrete has not cured fully yet so I can see how hard it will be for polishing. I'll let you know how it turns out. The price is right though. I spent about $20 on concrete and used left over expanded metal from my stone projects.

QuoteScottA, I think your countertops look great. This is something I have interest in myself, and was wonderingif you could give us pros and cons on doing it yourself. And I know its alot to ask,but maybe a quick tutorial on how you did yours.

Thanks. The pros are low cost and durablility. Add to that the thermal mass the concrete adds to the house (this was one of my main goals). The cons are it is hard work and it's messy. I hate to do tutorials because I'd hate to be responsible if someone elses job didn't turn out the way they wanted. But basicly you build a form on top of the counter. Tape the seams on the bottom to prevent leakage. Mix your mud (I used floor mix) very dry. I'd suggest pouring a test piece with the mix you're going to use to proof it will work OK. I put expanded metal inside my concrete as it was poured to reinforce it. Pack the mud down as it's poured and vibrate the whole works using a sander from below and along the sides of the forms. Let it cure for a couple of days before you strip the forms on the sides. If you do an overhang in the front like I did wait a week before removing the supports from below. I used a 2x4 along the front edge to support the overhang. You can see it still held in place by clamps.

ScottA

I forgot to mention I rounded over the front edge using a special tool I bought. You run it along inside the form after the mix starts to firm up. It leaves a line on the front edge that I just scraped off with a putty knife after I removed the forms.

devildog

Thanks ScottA, the type of concrete you used was one of the things I was curious about. you said in few sentences,with clarity and to the point where the internet DYI's seem confusing and keep you wondering. I do think Im going to give it a shot.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985