20x24 Log cabin with loft - built from white pines from our property

Started by Remington760-308, November 02, 2012, 06:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Roby

It was -36 here yesterday, and they are calling for +43 on Monday!  Talk about a swing of temperature...

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

flyingvan

THese heat reclaimers from Northern Tools are pretty cool, and easy to install

Less than $200.   Drafting air from outside is critical---otherwise you're just pulling in cold air from all over the house to feed the stove.  Insulating the floor and all parts of the attic is important, too.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Remington760-308

Just picked up an Old Mill wood/coal woodstove.  Guy was changing to a newer one. Changed it to a top vent 6" instead of rear exit 8". Will take 28" wood with an ash pan. Looks like it had a few hot suppers but still in very good cond. for my camp. HOPEFULLY this will put out some HEAT FAST. 

Remington760-308

[/URL][/img] this is a picture before I picked it up and cleaned /painted it//// fixed the hinges and new fire bricks

Remington760-308

flyingvan

Looks like a good workhorse, but reminds of what Thoreau said when he switched to a stove where the flames didn't show and he felt as if he'd lost an old friend...Still, a warmer cabin matters a lot more than a little firelight.
    I really like how you placed it in the center of the structure---much better for heat distribution and chimney draft than an outside wall.  Unless your fireplace is strictly for ambience, putting it as low as possible towards the center is smart
    Insulation--- I talked to an insulation engineer (commercial application but theories are the same) who said you have to think of it as a six sided envelope, and insulating top and bottom is more important than the sides; something about pressure differences and chimney effect.  He claimed simply insulating the attic access hole made more impact than switching out all the windows from single to dual glazed.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Redoverfarm

Sort of wondering why you didn't use a 8 to 6 adapter instead of changing the location.   ???

Remington760-308

I changed the location because the stove needs to sit back as far as possible. With the 8" coming out the back it pushes the stove forward 10-12" which puts it out into the middle of the living room.  It wasn't that hard to switch. I have the welder and tools to do it and it took like 1 hour to complete.  The inside of the fire box has a plate welded in there so the flame wouldn't go straight  up the pipe. So I really didn't change the function of it . The only difference is the 8 to 6 difference. I don't think this would be a problem because the chimney is straight up through the roof. No elbows or thimbles or restrictions.   I wanted the Ambiance . I But heat is more important   d*

Insulation Issue - This is just a camp... will never be used to live in full time.  wood is plentiful    I will be insulating the floor with 1.5 inch and sealing the outside off with metal so the wind doesn't blow under the camp and the pipes don't freeze????   

Redoverfarm

That was the first thing that came to mind.  Although there is not much engineering involved in the manufacturing there needs to be some type of restriction (plate) in there.  In lieu of that if there wasn't any then a damper in the pipe going verticle would work.  Glad it worked out.

Remington760-308

yes there is a restrictor plate in there.. Also I am going to put a damper in so I can get some heat out of the vertical piping...

Remington760-308

[cool]It was -9 this morning when we got to camp.... We had to go switch stoves - have someone that is going to buy it.... went pretty smoothly.  Put new wood stove in the bed of my Polaris Ranger 900 XP and took it up -drove right up to the camp with tire chains on. Switched out stoves and then THE RANGER  wouldn't start. >:(    Played with the relays and it finally started. WHEW!!!!!  Guys coming tomorrow to look at old stove.....  It wasn't as bad as I thought getting in.... thought it would be snowed in - so I couldn't get all the way out the class 6 road. the neighbor just before me has plowed.... Hope he doesn't screw up the road this spring when the frost comes out of the road. Found some free furniture - couch,love seat and chair that fit the cabin look. It's made out of 2x6 framing and RUGGED.   We are thinking of taking it in this weekend......

Remington760-308

Went to see how far we could get up to camp... We had 12-14" snow in the last couple of days. We made to within 1/4 mile. Getting excited again about finishing up alot of loose ends up there..... We have to finish driveway- septic connections- deck and roof on back(all ready adding on)-clear for well tiles and water line- put in food plots and treestands.. finish off upstairs- clean the logs / oil stain  close in the bottom with metal- install pine boards flooring  etc..whew

Remington760-308

Looking to see if anybody has any pictures of their log camp they did from scratch- like to see pictures.

Remington760-308

Sorry for not posting in a while... Went to camp 6-29-2014 and found a lot of grass on the front lawn. Need to bring weed whacker  and a push mower. Moose and deer are not keeping up with trimming the grass..

Remington760-308

My daughter is predrilling some of the boards. My son is screwing it to the floor. Glad to see my son and daughter involved in this. Something they could do together TEAM WORK  and see it move right along.    I really like the natural pine plank flooring. Hopefully it will help on the dust/dirt that is in the underlayment. When we built if you remember we where in 4-6" of mud and it never completely came out of the subfloor. I vacuumed many times and still very dust. Especially when the dog wagged his tail while laying on the floor.   Also we can walk with no shoes on inside... I hope to be complete t his  4th of July weekend... My son did some leveling with the tractor to try and get some grass going on the rest of the lawn.  Also had a load of 1.5" stone brought in for the car parking area(pics 2 follow)..

jsahara24

Love your cabin!   Has some great character and good to see your kids getting into it. 

Keep the pics coming.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Remington760-308

Thanks for the compliments... The kids are really starting to enjoy camp now that we have new neighbors with kids. They are excited to go!!!! We have a bunch of new pics but too TIRED to post right now.....later

Remington760-308

We got to camp on July 3rd. Grass was tall. We bought a cheap $25 dollar sears self propelled lawn mower and it worked just fine. Gotta sharpen the blades but other than that it ran fine..

Remington760-308

We started putting down the wide pine plank flooring last week and I finished up this week.  8)[/URL]My wife worked on putting the tiles in the  entryway. She did a great job but I don't think she wants to lay tile for a living...We got the bar and bar top in too. We bought 3 bar chairs for $35 and think they compliment the Red theme going onMade a stone walkway too try and keep the dirt/mud out of camp and the outhouse Dug holes and filled with stone for the footings for the back deck/porch. Team Work putting the deep fryer together...They did alot of work around camp this weekend. Very proud of them. They are starting to enjoy the camp. They have friends just a mile up the road that they can go see on the UTV. Starting the fire to cook hotdogs.

Remington760-308

Sorry the picture of walk way to camp didn't post so here it is...

Remington760-308

Worked on camp this weekend. What a great weekend. Only had Sat. afternoon and Sunday morning. Wife Bleached and scrubbed inside wall. It's going to take awhile. The wall got mud on it and some mildew from sitting in a gravel pit waiting to be hauled up to it's final resting spot.My son standing in front door way over the tile work my wife did the weekend before. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)My son trying to get mortar out of the pail with out getting his hands all dirty.He is doing a very good job PROUD OF HIM and the work he does. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)They did a great job. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DCutting in for the rafters. I have temporary  support post holding up the header. I have some Cedar posts coming from a co=workerRafters are up now time to order metal...

Remington760-308

Putting up the rafters wasn't just that easy. I had to mortise into the wall the rafter ends. The only rafter material  I had left was 3"x 8" . I had to rip them down to 6". And the saw would only go part way through so I had to rip both sides. Then I had to make sure the cut side was on the upper so I didn't see it. Only hit 1 screw in the wall with chain saw. d* d* d* d* Oh well it's done. metal on order. Then we can move picnic table/grill/generator out on back deck out of the sun. AND THE BACK DOOR WON'T LEAK WHEN WE GET AN EASTERN DRIVING RAIN. 

Remington760-308

My son loved making an Ice Cooler for the back deck at camp.He was the one that did the sanding and he screwed it all together. We recycled used T&G that a guy was giving away. We turned the finished sided towards the inside and made the outside smooth. The only thing we had to buy was 2 sheets of 2" insulation and hinges.We haven't used it yet. We put a divider in it so we could keep SODA  ;)on one side and food on the other. We Mortised all the insulation so it would stay in place and sealed all the joints so it wouldn't leak. We are going to use milk jugs with water frozen solid as a big block of ice we can just reuse and nothing will get wet.. 8) We finished seeding the side yard and around the fire pit..Jarrett and I also built a T&G door for the bathroom. We framed it and it came out great.Finishing up the bathroom walls. My son leveling the dirt underneath the camp so we can put plastic down to keep moisture from going up into anything. We should be all right because we are 16-20 inches above the dirt but we did it any way.My daughter sanding the stairs. She got sick of that real quick and my son took over.Upstairs wall that divides the adult room and the kids room.Green beans were some what ready. They planted a few plants- green beans and green peppers- and pumpkins.1 half wall cleaned and scrubbed with bleach and water. You probably won't be able to see the difference but you can in person.