22X24 HUNTING LODGE /CABIN

Started by NIGHTOWL, January 01, 2010, 01:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NIGHTOWL

Hi , I have been looking and reading over the forums at the many great projects and thought I'd post on what I'm trying to build,a 22x24 1and1/2 story cabin.
I started in NOVEMBER and found this site in DECEMBER.
I have ask a few ? and picked up a lot of info here that has been very helpful!
So to start with thanks for the info and this great site.

I am building on my farm witch is about 6 miles from my home ,its 170 ac. with creak ,pond and good hunting.
I raise cows ,hay for feeding them and tobacco so I spend a lot of time at the farm.
Its nice to have a place to go in sit down and take a break from work or warm up from hunting.
I had a small trailer that was give to me but it burned up this summer it wasn't to good but it was handy.
What I had in it was worth more than the trailer tv,stove ,fridge ,couch ,table and bed,but none cost over 40.00. 

I had a lot of damage from the ice storm of early 2009 ,a lot of pine, cedar and some oak trees either uprooted or tops broke out.
So I decided to replace my trailer with a cabin for me and my son to stay in when we deer hunt and stuff.
I am trying to build for as close to nothing as I can!
Found a cabin I liked on an ag.site and modding it to suit what I want.
What I'm building is a post frame cabin.

First we cut and got out the trees ,then cut them up in lengths we needed my son helped with this part he is 15, then we loaded on my wagon and took them to the sawmill ,we have a woodmiser LT40 mill that my 2 brothers and I saw cherry and walnut grade lumber on when the market is good.
I sawed all the framing out of the pine,going to use the oak for board and batten sideing                           I have pictures of my progress so far,never thought about pictures untill I found this site.
Will try to get some up trough photobucket latter .
I have done all the work so far myself with some help with loading the lumber and digging post holes from my son.
My work can't compare with some of the fine work I've seen on here ,but I'll try and post pics. anyway!
Well thats all for now,be back soon.
NIGHTOWL ;)
{Tom}

rick91351

w*

Hope to see your cabin ideas and property soon.

rlr

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

w* Tom.  What part of the country do you hang your hat?

MushCreek

Looking forward to watching your progress! You'll get plenty of expert advice here. w*
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Whitlock

Sounds like fun :D Welcome to the forum w*
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

NIGHTOWL

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 01, 2010, 08:10:53 AM
w* Tom.  What part of the country do you hang your hat?

In central Kentucky, my farm lays on big brush creak.
Born, raised and live within the same 5 miles!
NIGHTOWL ;)

NIGHTOWL

Hello, I am going to do board & batten for my siding nailed to girts and studs .
And going to use house wrap put up on the girts/studs then board & batten,has anyone done this,and will it work that way?
Thanks
NIGHTOWL ;)

MushCreek

If you're going to sheath a building with regular boards, you need to have some diagonal bracing to keep the building from racking. Plywood is so extensively used these days, we tend to forget about things like that. Plywood locks the framing in so it can't move- regular boards- not so much. In timber framing, they put diagonal members called wind braces to keep the frame stable.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

John Raabe

Here is an interesting chart I copied out of one of Charlie Wing's books:

Running board sheathing at the diagonal helps a lot. But when you are cutting holes for windows and doors you can't beat plywood or OBS sheathing.

If you can sheath both sides of the corners with such material for a full height two or three stud bays (32" to 48"), then you have "locked the corners" and can sheath the rest of the building with pretty much anything.

I would not recommend doing a single wall (no sheathing - just siding) house unless you are in a very mild climate with little chance of hurricanes or heavy wind.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

NIGHTOWL

Thanks for the replies.
My question wasn't about the framed walls,my wall framing is girts from post to post with windows framed in as per design from  a university ag.dept.cabin plan.
My question was about the house wrap.
Has anyone used it where you only have 2x girts ,top plates and floor beams or headers to lay in on, no solid sheeting ?

I will insulate the inside of the walls latter on,but for now thought this would make it dryer and less breezy inside.
Thanks again
NIGHTOWL ;)

John_M

...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

NIGHTOWL

Quote from: John_M on January 02, 2010, 11:23:32 PM
What's a GIRT? ???

Girts are 2x4s 2x6s etc. running horizontal from post to post.
They form the walls to nail sheeting ,dry wall etc. or in my case board and batten, instead of standard vertical 2x4 studs .
You need to have a post frame to do it this way.
NIGHTOWL  ;)

Don_P

Hi Tom,
Yes, you can wrap over the girts and do board and batten BUT, you still need some type of diagonal windbracing. On a modern post frame building the metal skin is doing the same thing John was talking about plywood doing, acting as a rigid plane to keep it from racking. Without that skin of sheets of metal or ply, some other form of bracing is needed. X's of flat steel strap from post to post or girt to girt wherever you can will help keep the building from racking in a big wind. They could be hidden behind the siding, you should cover the tyvek for fire.
Or they can be put between posts and girts all depending;

NIGHTOWL

Thanks Don
Although the design I am mostly going by had no x bracing in the plan,
I have took your advice and added them to mine.
I put them in where there is a wall without a window framed in ,I think the ones with windows
will be ok with the studs running from floor to plate for the window frame!
NIGHTOWL

NIGHTOWL

My try at posting pictures!

NIGHTOWL ;)

NIGHTOWL

That log sawed some good lumber,here is a little of it.
NIGHTOWL ;)

Redoverfarm

DON_P  Is that your building or a customers.  Nice.  Good work whowever it belongs to. I just wish it was on my property instead. ;)

NIGHTOWL A picture is worth a thousand words. So mush easier to describe things.  

NIGHTOWL

This is the first pictures of my attempt to build a low cost cabin out of trees that were damaged from
the 2009 ice storm on my farm.
NIGHTOWL ;)

NIGHTOWL

Getting it squared to a 12 x ,this will be my siding  of board and batten.
NIGHTOWL ;)

Don_P

That is a cherry looking log Nightowl, quite a building.

John, that's my shop. still a work in progress. I wrapped the sidewall girts outside the posts and in that middle bay I doubled the 4x7 girt inside between the posts. The X's are a double layer of 4x5's lapped and infilled. I did that on each side wall, made for a pretty rigid panel. Old German frames are full of X's and diagonal braces, its a nice look as well as being quite stout. I could prefab you a frame  ;D

poppy

w* Nice to see another hillbilly on the forum.  ;D

Looks like you are making good use of the damaged trees and I wish your mill was closer to me.  But the Amish do a pretty good job for me.

I would advise you to pay attention to anything Don_P says.  He has a lot of experience and knows what he's talking about.

Look forward to watching your progress.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: poppy on January 06, 2010, 12:11:20 PM
w* Nice to see another hillbilly on the forum.  ;D

Looks like you are making good use of the damaged trees and I wish your mill was closer to me.  But the Amish do a pretty good job for me.

I would advise you to pay attention to anything Don_P says.  He has a lot of experience and knows what he's talking about.

Look forward to watching your progress.

Poppy what about the rest of us. I feel slighted. >:(

Don_P

Well the way I see it Poppy just edged me out to the edge of the waterfall, I appreciate any company  :). I'm behind ya all the way John, Appalachian Americans gotta stick together  ;D

Mike 870

There's a lot of smart people on here.  No doubt you will find the knowledge and get the answers you need while you build.

poppy

Sorry there John and Don, didn't mean to slight anybody.  :-[

It's just that I know more folks from the bluegrass state and there has always been a lot of back and forth travel across the muddy Ohio, and a lot of intermarriage.

And furthermore, geologically my part of southern Ohio is the same as much of KY.

And even more futhermore, old Zanes Trace started in KY and goes right past my farm.

I could go on, but it would probably start sounding pitiful.  [yuk]