Al and Robins 20x30 1 1/2 near Lake Eufaula, OK

Started by ajbremer, May 09, 2011, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

11-05-2012 MidOklahoma

Thanks CjAl, I'll look into my blower motor part for my woodstove and see if I can replace it.

I've been doing more shingling lately. Put a facet on the kitchen sink and ran the pex hot and cold water lines to it.

Oh ya, by the way, we sold our RV and we are officially living in our countryplan house now. Yes, we are living in an
OSB box but we are making it work, staying warm (most of the time), and have 'most' of the comforts of home.

It'll be exciting to finish the shingles. Then I'll be able to remove the platform that I made and it'll start to look
like a real house, especially after we put the log siding on it!

Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

CjAl

what, you get a roof on and you think you can stop posting?

ajbremer

11/20/2012

I know man...sorry. I've got to step up my posting again with all the little things I've been up to.

Today I almost finished shingling. I meant to take a pic before I took off to work but I got in a hurry.
I'm excited about taking down that platform that I made and starting to put on the siding. BUT, I have
to do my stairs. It's hard for us to find a good spot to put in our stairs since we've already put in our stove
pipe. It got cold and we set up the stove - we probably should have put the stove in around the 'already' made
stairs but we did it backwards I guess.

I'll post some pics of our situation with the placement of our stairs.

Thanks for your interest...

al

ajbremer

11-21-2012 MidOklahoma

Shingles all done. I started to tear down the platform that I made but didn't get it all done yet.

Next in line is electric and the stairs. All ya'll please send me pics and links of stairs if ya come across them. Pics and links of stairs within the 20x30 countryplan with loft. I've been browsing countryplans for different people who have made stairs for their 20x30 with loft but there's so many and it takes a long time. I'll keep plugging away.

ellbaker

Quote from: ajbremer on November 21, 2012, 07:01:48 PM
11-21-2012 MidOklahoma

I've been browsing countryplans for different people who have made stairs for their 20x30 with loft but there's so many and it takes a long time. I'll keep plugging away.

I just built a set of Jefferson or alternating tread stairs for our loft.  I had limited floor space because I have a set of full stairs going down to the basement.  My next job is to build the railing.  They are easy to climb and come down facing forward like regular stairs.  I was apprehensive at first, but I would do it again in a heart beat.  They add additional charm to my cabin.

archimedes

Nice looking stairs.   d*

What's the total rise and run?
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

ajbremer

11/26/2012 MidEastOklahoma

Construction/Electrical workers came over today and dug my electrical cable line and
put it in the ground. Tomorrow I'll probably have current to my 200 watt sevice panel
that's in the house.

DmnYnkee01

I really like your loft stairs.  I have been looking at ideas for loft stairs as well, and there are many interesting concepts for alternating tread stairs.  They definitely give more character to a space.

I will also be building in the Eufaula area, hopefully starting next spring.  Looks like the are several Okies that use this forum.   I have learned a lot reading through your thread.  Your place is looking great!

ajbremer

Thanks for checking things out Chris BUT...those are not my stairs. Those stairs are ellbakers.

I just started to work on my stairs today. SBFFD (Stand by for further details).

ajbremer

11/28/2012 MidEastOklahoma

Done with the first stringer for the loft stairs. That 2 x 12 x 12 foot board weighed 60 lbs, 30 lbs after the cuts.

Doing the math took me a little while. It's a 90 degree stair with 3 steps then the 4th onto the 3' x 3' landing
and then do a 90 degree to the right and go up to the cat-walk by way of 10 steps. No matter how I tried to
calculate it, I couldn't get it to code the way I have it. I don't have to be to code where I am but I've tried hard
to do everything to code.

The rise is supposed to be no more than 7.75 and mine calculated out to 8.083. The treads are supposed to be
no less than 10" and mine ended up being 9.25. I think it'll work out all right though.

ColchesterCabin

Al just overhang your tread lips by an 1" with a rounded bull nose effect and you'll be just about in compliance..... Looking good to on the project as well.
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

ajbremer

11-29-2012 MidEasternOklahoma

Got the stringers up and even put on a couple of treads. You can see how the stairs
take a 90 degree turn at the bottom.

ajbremer

11/30/2012 MidEastOklahoma

Treads go on:

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

DmnYnkee01

What part of the lake are you located? Our land is about 3-4 miles southwest of the town of Eufaula.  Are the leaves mostly off the trees yet out there?  I am hoping the wind today is helping with that.  Going to try to get out that way tomorrow and do more site work.

ajbremer

Hi Chris,

Ya, the leaves are mostly off of the trees on on the ground here. It's pretty warm around here today.

I'm just past Eufaula, only 8 minutes from the Texanna Rd. Exit. We'll have to get together soon.

ajbremer

12/10/2012 MidEastOklahoma

Dug holes for the back porch this last weekend. Also got rid of the wood pile!

ajbremer

12/11/2012 MidEastOklahoma

The P-trap to the bathtub froze its water this morning and the tub wouldn't drain. That trap is the only
one that is below the house. There is no skirting of any type under there yet either so I guess I'm not
surprised at the freeze. I've read where I should box it in with insulation? Anyway, I put some hot
water and a wash cloth to it and it unclogged it in about 3 minutes.

ajbremer

12/12/2012 MidEastOklahoma

Started the ledger board of my back porch. Nailed it and added 23 joist hangers every 16". I'll add the lag bolts next.

MountainDon

Think about these; better than lag bolts.

BTW...
...what are they being screwed to?
...what is the plan for flashing the ledger / deck, ...?
...PT?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ajbremer

Thank you again Don.

My ledger is being screwed to 2 standing 2x12 rim joists back behind the osb. I totally didn't think about the flashing Don. I will go out and get flashing for it tomorrow. Thank you !!!

MountainDon

Remember the idea is to bring water that flows down to the outside, away from the building and do not count on a bead of caulk to provide proper protection. ...direct the water out and away from the building. Start thinking of how to direct water that might find itself on the housewrap after the siding and all is completed. (flashing starts under the wall housewrap above the ledger board.)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

If you have some Ice/storm guard I would use it to seal the "slit" that you need to tuck the flashing under the house wrap.  I let it continue over the flashing.  Remember that Presure Treated lumber does not like flashing(corrode) when it comes in contact with each other and the ice/storm guard will be a barrier that will prevent this close contact.

Most important is to have sufficent pitch on the porch of at least 1/8 - 1/4" drop per foot from the  house to the outside(front) of the porch/deck to prevent water from standing against the house.

ajbremer

Very good ideas, thanks. Keep in mind that I'm putting a roof over that deck too, hence - a covered porch.

MountainDon

Roof or not it will still get wet, maybe to a lesser degree, but wet is wet, IMO.