Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peteh2833

Dave, I'm to the point now that I'm ready for the metal roof. Can I ask you a couple ?'s about yours? Did you get the ridge cap with yours and does it vent? Also, how did you finish the eve ends and the gable ends? Did you use anything on the eve ends to block the ribs going up under the metal roof? It loks like you alos installed some drip edge. Thanks Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

peteh2833 without trying to hyjack Daves thread I thought I would comment on your last post. 

In regards to the eve portion of your metal roof they make a self adhesive seal that is contoured to the peaks and valleys of the metal which is put on the bottom of the sheeting near the eve to prevent unwanted guest from crawling up the channel. On page # 4 of this site it shows the eve sill.

http://www.flamco.com/roofing.pdf

The ridge cap has a flat flange on either side which is attached to the roof metal. There is approximately 1-1/2" gap (valley) portion created in which will be the ridge vent provided that you have either cut back or set your top sheet of sheeting down from the peak 1 to 1-1/2" per side. I would strongly suggest a product like "Cobra" vent on the wood sheeting covering the ridge vent area to keep insects, bats and unwanted creatures from entering the gap between the ridge vent cap and the metal roofing and taking up residency in your insulation .  They use to make a thicker product similar to what is used on a shingle ridge cap but I am not sure they still do and it would be hard to get your metal to lay flat with the thicker between the metal and sheeting.

There are also end caps seals made to contour the profile of the ridge cap to use on the gable ends. 

Some of which you probably already knew but I thought I would throw it out there to you anyway since it was on my mind. Owens Corning also makes a similar product but with the feedback from a roofing forum they don't recieve good reviews in comparison to GAF

http://doitbest.com/Ridge+vents-GAF+Materials+Corp.-model-2000-doitbest-sku-113468.dib

peteh2833

Thanks for the info. Could I just use screen cut and stapled over the ridge opening? I did leave a 1"-1 1/2" opening at the top for this reason. Another ? for you Redoverfarm, would you go with metal if the cost was the same for shingles. The panels cost the same as the shingles. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

peteh I did just that in mine. But I am cheap or should I say frugal.  In addition since I had the hardware cloth (chink material)I used this also as I am in the woods and I could visualize flying squirrels and bats looking for a warm place.  The squirrels would probably just chew their way through the screen. 

It was actually a no brainer for me and the metal.  Although with a log cabin it is impossible to fireproof  but with the metal it does give me a little more protection from the falling embers.  The majority of the fires associated with forrest fires are on the roof of cabins.  I have a pretty good buffer on the ground but plan to do more as I have time. In addition it is pretty much maintenance free for 50 years or so.  No curlying of shingles , wind damage, alge or moss buildup. 

MountainDon

Quote from: peteh2833 on October 19, 2008, 11:19:05 AM
would you go with metal if the cost was the same for shingles. The panels cost the same as the shingles. Pete

If the price was the same, metal would still be my choice. No way I'd use regular shingles.

I guess that goes to show how much shingles, produced with high price oil, has gone up.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dmlsr

Sorry Peteh i have not been on but it looks like your in good hands
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

sailingseahag1968

Hi All,
Newcomer here.  I just wanted to say this was a very inspiring thread.  I bought some land(paid free and clear) and have spent past 2 months taking apart an abandoned mobile home and either hauling to dump or burning.  I am a single mom with a little construction work in my background.  I bought a reciprocating saw to cut up a couple boats that are also on the land.  I am searching for an inexpensive used portable generator now. My condo is on the market and I am anxiously awaiting an offer. I plan on living in a camper for however long it takes to build a cabin.  I do want to take part in alot of the construction, but realize people with expertise will end up doing a lot.  I will continue to look thru this forum for more inspiration and wisdom as I walk towards being debt free, building a small home and being able to spend more time enjoying life instead of giving my life to a job for things which mean nothing.
Take care all,
Tracy

apaknad

hi tracy,

craigs list and ebay are a good start for a generator. i hope to do the same thing you are doing this spring. you came to the right place for advice/help. a wonderful forum w/many nice, informed, well intentioned and professional people. good luck in your adventure. keep updating and learn to post pocs(mandatory ;D). where are you located?

dan
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Redoverfarm

w*  Tracy. Nothing to it "YEAH RIGHT" in building your own place.  Seriously if you have the basic knowledge then you are halfway there.  Just alot of BSATs to make it work out.  But all you have to do is ask and I am sure someone has "been there and done that" as they say and will give you the advice or instructions to get you over that hump.

As far as a generator there is Craig's and Ebay but I wouldn't get a 2nd hand unless you bought it from someone that said it was too small for their needs.  A new one can be obtained for just a little more w/warranty.  I just bought one off Craigs that was new at about 1/3 to 1/2 off what it originally sells for.

Hope you check in often.  Even if you haven't started I am sure you would have something worthwhile to share.

Not to be nosey but where do you hang your hat?

Again  w*

John

sailingseahag1968

Hi Dan/John,

I live in Columbia, SC.  The lot is in Chapin, SC.
I have been checking out craigslists, but right now there is not much to select from.
I also frequent another site - freecycle.org
I will definately post pics when I have something to share.
Tracy

glenn kangiser

Arrrrrr, Ahoy there Tracy. Shiver me timbers. 

Ye be boardin the forum at just the right time.

w*

One of my favorite old bands was from Spartanburg, SC.

Dave and family have done a great job on this cabin.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

w* Tracy.

As for second hand generators... depends on how really good the deal is, or how new it is. I'd take a long a few of the tools you want to power, electric heaters or whatever you have so you can put it under load and check how it handles it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

AlabamaDan

WOW!  I haven't read all the posts yet, but I just joined to say Great Job! 

dmlsr

thanks Dan
We are trying.
lots of snow this year so not to much done this winter.

Going up this weekend. hope i/we can get it

Dave
This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

glenn kangiser

w* Dan.  Nice to hear from you Dave - looking forward to an update soon. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Vinalhavencandyco

Hello Alex and Everyone,
Last year I bought 14 acears of wood land on Vinalhaven Is. Maine. It had septic and well in and I bought and put in place a small travel trailer. This week I got my building permit for a 20x24 cabin with a 8x24 covered front porch. I've finished clearing and am getting a plan for prices together so that when weather permits I can break ground. My idea for the cottage comes from my fathers cottage in Nova Scotia thats 16x24. He's 63 and has a great story on building it. I hope to share at some point. So my first question is on the peirs do you feel 12 is sufficient or would you think adding anouther row of 4 peirs would be a good idea to reduce the 10ft span to a 5ft, or is this over kill? I also wanted to ask about the floor joices is the 2x8in good anough or should I step up and go with a 2x10in? Those are my first questions I don't want to get overloaded right from the start.haha My first concern is getting the peirs and decking done. I just want to make sure that the cottage is here for the long haul, and done right. I'm 23 and have some construction experince, but am looking for helpful input. This is going to be my perminent residence for me and my fiancee. I am going to attach a picture of my fathers cottage, the only difference will be mine is 4ft wider with a full dormer on the back side. Thanks in advance. Look forward to your replys and info. Josh

Jochen

Josh,

The main question is how many rows of beams are you planning to use? Only two, or a centre beam on the 10' line as well. That is what I did with my 20 x 24 I built in Nova Scotia. http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0 With the additional centre beam you will be able to use 2 x 8 floor joists whereas two beams will need 2 x 12 floor joists or engineered I joists.

I spaced the footings for my two main beams 8' apart and used only three footings for the centre beam. I have used 24" bigfoot footings and 8" sono tubes.

Jochen

dmlsr

im very pleased on how our  cabin turned out. 12 peirs was fine for the main cabin. We had three more for the front porch. We used 1 main beam and it worked out very well. 2x8 joists also worked well for us. Lets see some pic's of your dads and some of your site.

If you fined yourself coming to NH let me know if you want to see the place..

Thank you for looking
Dave

Vinalhavencandyco

Hey Guys,
I'm trying to get pictures of fathers cabin and my site put on but everytime it says file to full. I plan to start a thread once I figure out the picture uploading. I do plan I think to do 12 peirs with 3 rows of 4 and 4 under porch. Just like the pictures of your cottage in NH. Doubling up with the 2x8's around outside and center beam. Then lag bolting the corners to my 6x6's or 8x8's. Thanks for the replies will try to figure out the picture uploading. Josh

Redoverfarm

There is a size limit on the photo's to post.  Not real sure but usually you will have to decrease the size.

MountainDon

Quote from: Vinalhavencandyco on February 06, 2009, 05:13:52 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm trying to get pictures of fathers cabin and my site put on but everytime it says file to full.

Sounds like you are trying to attach a picture file to a message post. You can not do that, the feature is disabled for bandwidth reasons.

To post a photo you need to host the photo on a service like photobucket.com. There are others, they don't all get along well with forum posts. Then you paste a link to the image here in your message. There is a tutorial under the Forum News ection.

Vinalhavencandyco

Well am going to give this a try. If this works this is the corner of property that I'm building on. Pictures are from last snow when i finally got to burn. The trailer is the site for construction.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=129988&id=1566446547&saved#/album.php?aid=129988&id=1566446547

MountainDon

Well, that works, sort of. One needs to be a facebook member though, some may not like that.   :-\

Vinalhavencandyco

Well I'll try to figure out the photos later. Best I can do for now is facebook. I'm busy with planning and pricing. Josh

wed68

IF you dont mind me asking what is the pitch on the roof?

Thanks and great cabin and thread