Chainsaw question...

Started by jb52761, November 11, 2007, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb52761

Greetings all....Damn, we are having a ladybug invasion today...they are all over the front of the house...anyhoo, I have to start cutting firewood once again, and I am sick of buying gas and oil and pulling that stupid cord to start the saw, then it won't run....Menards has an electric on sale for about 60 bucks, 16 inch....do any of you use an electric ? Would it be a waste of money? I've always had a gas powered one......jb

Redoverfarm

Never had one. I couldn't find a cord long enough to reach into the woods. Seriously though I have heard others say it is good for small but limited cutting. Sort of like the burb's lumberjack that burns wood in a fireplace once a month or so.  I usually burn 3-4 PU trucks a winter.  This year I cut enough to last 2-3 years.  I have a Husq 22" but some of the trees I have been cutting are 2-3' dia.  But like alot of 2 cycles they are a pain to start. Not to mention the chain sharpening. You will still have that with the electric.  Newer 2 cycles are a lot easier to start than the newer models. Depending on the amount of wood you plan to cut or work up would probably dictate which to use.

MountainDon

Glenn's got an electric chainsaw I believe. I'm sure he'll have something to say.

Like John, I've never had an electric because the trees I want to cut are too far from the power outlets.   ;D

My next door neighbor in town has an electric for cutting up small stuff he scavenges for his occasional wood stove use. From what I see the one he has does not have a lot of grunt when it comes to cutting. Maybe it's just his/his saw.  FYI, the electrics I've looked at used a narrower chain than my gas saw... an indication that the electric can't pull the wider chain through the wood??  :-/

As for gas saws and their troubles, one of the big sources of trouble, IMO, is all to do with the gasoline.
1.  Gas that's been sitting in a can someplace for a long time isn't as good as fresh gas.  Unless you use Sta-Bil.

2.  Leaving gas in the saws fuel tank/system for months between uses is an invitation to trouble. That goes for any small engines you may have around; lawn mowers, generators, etc.

With the chainsaw I try to drain the tank and run the engine dry if I think there may be several weeks between uses. With the ATV I turn off the fuel valve and run the engine dry, but usually leave fuel in the tank.

I use some Sta-Bil when there's any doubt about how long the fuel may sit around. I also add a little methyl hydrate (alcohol, gas line antifreeze) once in a while to get rid of any water. Been doing that since I had a gas tank on an old and seldom used motorcycle rust through a great number of years back.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

firefox

I bought an 8" electric from sears about 30 years ago. It works ok for what I got it for, which was to make a rectangular hole in a railroad tie big enough to slip a 2 x 8 through. It was a little tricky though  and scared the p__s out of me a few times, but I got it done. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it was that I was trying to build. I guess I am older than I think.....
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

glenn kangiser

A $60 one will last about 1 season of not too hard use.  Cutting firewood may finish it off sooner.  I went through 2 $60 -$80 Remingtons in 2 seasons of misc. cutting on logs for the underground cabin.  Plastic gears - not good, Toys. :(

I just bought the Ryobi One+ chainsaw for my 18v kit.  The chain speed is pretty slow - maybe it will last a while.  I wanted it just for incidental cordless use -- not woodcutting.  Trimming trees and brush on the spring trail etc while driving the Bush Hog around.  I have 8 batteries I try to keep charged.  

I spent around $300 for a Stihl that I am pretty sure will last a while. I think I am on my second chain now with no sign of any problem.

Makita makes one also that may be good, although I have had some trouble with Makita stuff.

Note that McCullough and Homelite used to be good saws but with their economy saws being such crap I'm not buying anything from them anymore.  Stihl doesn't seem to compromise itself with such crap and I am happy with my Husquavarna as far as gas engine saws go.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

JRR

I use a Stihl gas, but have a Remington for light work ... especially useful for some "carpentry" cuts.  

I gave my SIL a 110v Ryobi.  He seems to get a lot of use out it ... around the house sort of stuff.

glenn kangiser

I think a 110v Ryobi would last longer than a Remington.  Seems they are a pretty good value for the money.  Just my opinion from using other Ryobi stuff and the Remington saws.  I am not sure.  Haven't had the 110v Ryobi chain saw.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

QuoteGreetings all....Damn, we are having a ladybug invasion today...they are all over the front of the house..jb

Ladybugs gather together this time of year, but they are commonly imported by pot farmers for pest control also --- maybe there is a farm nearby. :-?

Redoverfarm

I don't know how you can keep eight batteries charged. I can't even keep 2 from going bad. I wish someone would make a decent cordless drill that the batteries would last as long as the drill itself.

As for Lady bugs(which they really are not the regular lady bugs) or harvest bugs which the good old USA imported from asia to rid us of gypsy moth(which they haven't done) are not too bad this year.  I have heard that the reason they come to light more in the fall is that the vegitation which they eat (leaves) go dead in the fall and they move to hybernate.  

Talking of goverment imports. Multi-flora roase is another example of the goverments handy work. I hear they now they have introduced a bug in the south that is suppose to supress the roses. Well they haven't made it this far and they can devistate your farmland.

peter nap

I have a little Remington that has lasted years. I just use it for misc cutoffs though. I have a Husky (my favorite) and a Poulen that I use for abusive work!

MountainDon

QuoteI just bought the Ryobi One+ chainsaw for my 18v kit.  
Do you have the complete ensemble of Ryobi cordless tools/toys yet?  ;D

Did you get the chainsaw with a One+ Lithium battery? Or do you have any of the Lithium batteries? How do they stack up against the others? IYO
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Daddymem

I've got a Craftsman 13" electric from the early 80s still running like a champ.  I don't use it out in the woods but I have a long cord that allows me to get to my woodpile and some of the peripheral trees in my yard.  If you plan on using it around the yard it can't be beat.  One fear though out here in hurricane area is if the power goes out for a long period after a storm, that would probably be when I need it most.  I plan on picking up a used gas one someday or rebuilding the couple old ones I got in my basement.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

glenn kangiser

There are a few (insignificant) Ryobi things I don't have yet. ;D

I went in there to look at the new Ryobi Lithium stuff.

It is interchangeable with the One+ stuff.  No need to buy new compatible stuff as it will all work, but I looked at it and went ahead and bought more of the cheaper stuff anyway.  I figure that even if the Lithium will last twice as long per charge, it is still not long enough and the battery will still be dead, so I bought the new toys I wanted and 2 more batteries.  Maybe some day I will buy the new stuff but it didn't overpower me yet. :)

glenn kangiser

QuoteI've got a Craftsman 13" electric from the early 80s still running like a champ.  I don't use it out in the woods but I have a long cord that allows me to get to my woodpile and some of the peripheral trees in my yard.  If you plan on using it around the yard it can't be beat.  One fear though out here in hurricane area is if the power goes out for a long period after a storm, that would probably be when I need it most.  I plan on picking up a used gas one someday or rebuilding the couple old ones I got in my basement.

I got a used Craftsman at a yard sale -- not broke yet either.  I bought it after the Stihl I think so haven't even tried it.  As I recall it was too good a deal to pass up.

desdawg

If you take your electric chainsaw into the woods you have to make sure there are lots of currant bushes around.  ;) There were some good electric chainsaws made and used mainly at the mills but I don't think what the consumer buys today can compare. Here is my old Mall 11E18 (Mall incidentally was purchased by Remington). It is part of my collection and I don't use it but it's a mean looking motor scooter.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Cool chainsaw, desdawg.  

Do Currant bushes put out enough juice for a saw that size? :-? ::)

desdawg

QuoteCool chainsaw, desdawg.  

Do Currant bushes put out enough juice for a saw that size? :-? ::)
Depends on if they are in series or parallel.  :D
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

Do you have to alternate those bushes with something else or just hook 'em up direct?

glenn kangiser

Well, be sure you don't hook your saw to a GW Bush or it will fail in less than 7 years. ::)

desdawg

I haven't seen a currant bush inverter so they must be AC. Speaking of the current Bush I believe we have been sold down the river with the oil companies. And I don't see of any way of paddling back up the river. It is just one hit after another after another. Shell has come a long way with oil shale but is still years away so I guess it is either back to the horse or pony up at the pump. Sounds like a bunch of horsesh!t no matter how you slice it.  >:(

jb52761

Thanks all....My gas one will still run, off and on....so for the price might get the electric saw for small stuff now and then, kindling etc for my wood stove...don't use huge logs anyway in the stove and I have electric available near my cabin....p.s.....besides the ladybugs, here's a crapper for ya- We had pelicans out here for two months this fall in the lake off my yard....PELICANS....and I'm in central Illinois...folks asked me what I was smokin' and drinkin, told them that wasn't any of their business, so I took pics..... 8-)

glenn kangiser

Reminds me of the old rhyme my dad used to say.

A wonderful bird is the Pelican.  His beak can hold more than his belly can.

glenn kangiser

...and the rest of the story.

QuoteWrote Dixon Lanire Merrith in his poem

"The Pelican"(1910): A wonderful bird is the pelican His bill will hold more that his belican. He can take in his beak Food enough for a week, But I'm danmed if i can see how the helican

Source: QBP Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins, By Robert Hendrickson,
or       
       * "A wonderful bird is a Pelican, Whose beak can hold more than his belly can. Be it crabs, clams, or fish, It will hold all you wish. But damned if I see how the hell he can!"

--Arbogast of Diedenhofen, or

* A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His mouth can hold more than his belly can,
He can hold in his beak,
Enough food for a week!
I'm damned if I know how the hell he can!

Dixon Lanier Merritt, a Southern newspaper editor and President of the American Press Humorists           Association, penned this famous limerick in 1910.

Plagiarism or don't know who was first?

Spanky8n

For the lithium one + review: I am going to have to rate it as a good purchase. I bought one battery (and charger) to use with my current collection. IMHO it lasts at least twice as long and maybe more. The other thing I like is the battery "holds a charge" longer- meaning I can charge it, let it sit for a week and it is still fully charged. My other batterys seem to loose the charge easier. If I could only figure out how to run my car on the one + system... ::)  I could save some serious cash   ;D
Dan

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the rating, Dan.  Have you tried the Lithium with the old tools -- I understand they will work interchangeably-- another great feature...

Wait a minute here...   re-reading your post it looks like you only use it with your old tools - is that right?