12x16 on the way... new land

Started by Tom, June 11, 2010, 09:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Tom they are made for 24"OC but can be split lengthwise at the perforation for 16". 

MaineRhino

I installed mine only at the bottom where the insulation would be compressed. It was 6" insulation in an 8" rafter.

Tom

Thanks for the info. on the rafter-mates. The pics helped.

Well, being as I bought land with a swamp across it, my wife said that I'd better buy something to cross the swamp with. I told her it wasn't needed as long as she was willing to drag deer through the swamp for me this fall. My shin is healing nicely  ;D

The only problem with this vehicle is that is won't fit in our utility trailer, so I bought an old wreck of a trailer for $100. I fixed the tire, tore off the old planking, painted the rust with Navel Jelly, patched the holes in the frame with angle iron, painted it up and put new planks down. Then I built ramps up over the wheels because it wouldn't fit between.

This thing isn't fast (25 mph) but it's a riot to bomb around with.

Hi Road

Quote from: Tom on July 21, 2010, 05:06:57 PM
I forgot to take the camera last time out. I have the loft joists in (not pictured here).
Michigan has been very wet this year. I've been hoping for a dry spell so that I can get the sheeting on, but no luck.
How much rain can strandboard take before it begins to swell?

Next question...
This will be a 12-12 pitch. I plan on running an 8 inch beam, but can I go with 6 inch rafter boards?

Thanks for looking in.

Don't forget the trimmers under your headers before you load the roof.  Nice clean job so far.  Keep it and have fun with buggy!

Tom

Most of my progress so far has been from working alone. It's been an exercise is learning and in frustration. Don't get me wrong; I've enjoyed this project, but coming to terms with my limitations is frustrating. I never minded helping others out, but asking for help was never easy and therefore I rarely did.
My wife (Rainelle) worries. She sees me gimp around after working and keeps pushing me to ask for help, but I'm too stubborn/proud. I come here and ask for advice, but somehow the anonymity of the internet helps.
My friends all began calling me last night to ask what to bring and what time to show up. Without telling me, Rainelle spent the past week rounding them up.
The weather man is calling for a 50% chance of rain today. The goal is to get this dried in today.
This post is a thanks to all of you as well as a thanks to my wife and my good friends who will give up their Saturday for me.
Well, the sun is coming up. I'd better get my day started.
Pictures to come.

archimedes

There's no shame in needing a little help.  That's what friends are for.

As I approach the half century mark myself, I find that my mind is writing checks that my body can no longer cash.  Such is life.   d*

It's looking good so far.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

JavaMan

Looks like you're doing just fine, working alone!  I was looking at getting some transportation while up at my place - quad, and then I saw some of those 6X's for sale.  They look like they'd be a gas to run around it.  My problem is that I don't have much water around my place, and I think I need the power of a quad...  I love the color of yours tho!

My guess is that you will want to line up some help for the roof.  Mine is 12:12 also, and I've tried at least twice to get up there and get started on it by myself, and chickened out both times.  I'm giving up and calling in the cavalry for help.

Getting the sheathing on shouldn't be that much of a problem, once you get to it.

Tom

Well, the day began with clouds and then rain, and then sun. Welcome to Michigan. If you don't like the weather, just wait a bit.

Lots of laughter with good comapny

Tom

I always enjoy the pictures that people post here, so I try to add as many as possible.
I wish that I had taken pictures of the interior, but those will come.
All I can say is that I'm humbled by the kindness of my family and friends. I'm also grateful to all of you who have inspired me and who have added your advice

Redoverfarm

Good friends are hard to come by.  Maybe they will return someday to lend another hand. You made good progress. 

Tom

I really liked the idea of a 12-12 roof, because I'm no builder, and it makes the math easy. I also like the loft space, but like everything in life, there are trade offs. Roofing a pitch like that isn't easy. I was glad for some help when I got to the second side.

Putting the Tyvek on alone was an excercise in frustration. The side peaks are going alright, but it's so hard to keep things straight. Each time a wind came up, I'd look Heavenward and remind God that I'm trying to do this without the bad words  ;) So, if the Tyvek looks a bit messy, it's because I did it alone, and only fell off the ladder once... fortunately it was only a 5 foot fall. I'd post the pics of the bruises, but no one wants to see my old butt  [shocked]

Sorry for the mess. I need to police the area soon

ScottA

dug

QuotePutting the Tyvek on alone was an excercise in frustration.

I can relate. I picked the windiest of spring days to install my felt paper solo. Just when I had a 20 ft. section lined up and ready to nail a gust would blow, rip the paper, and I would have to start anew. I know things can get a little wacky working alone but I swear the wind seemed to laugh at me!

Rest assured it will make no difference once it is covered with siding.   :)

Tom

I just picked up 160 sq. feet of hardwood flooring for $150 off craigslist. I need 200 sq. feet, but I figured that I could put some tiles down by the doors to make up for the shortfall.
I've seen the nailer that they use to put the wood floors down, but I'm wondering if I could glue it instead. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Thanks

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Tom on August 15, 2010, 09:58:51 AM
I just picked up 160 sq. feet of hardwood flooring for $150 off craigslist. I need 200 sq. feet, but I figured that I could put some tiles down by the doors to make up for the shortfall.
I've seen the nailer that they use to put the wood floors down, but I'm wondering if I could glue it instead. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Thanks

Tom personally I would not glue it down.  The wood will want to move and it might come loose.  If you cannot rent a nailer you can install it with a finish nailer based on the same principle as the flooring nailer.

Tom

Progress is slow, but at least it's progress.

I picked up 160 sq. feet of hardwood floor for $150. I'm looking forward to getting to the point where I can get it out of the storage shelf, and onto the floor

Solar Burrito

Looking great, moving along fast! I'm at a similar stage in my small cabin. I'm debating on weather to put in a ridge vent or someother type of vent for the loft. The cabin won't be insulated for a few years but eventually it might be.

Do I need a vent if it's not insulated? It will have a wood stove will all my heat get out if its vented?
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

MountainDon

Quote from: Solar Burrito on August 26, 2010, 03:33:09 PM
I'm debating on weather to put in a ridge vent or someother type of vent for the loft. The cabin won't be insulated for a few years but eventually it might be.

Do I need a vent if it's not insulated? It will have a wood stove will all my heat get out if its vented?

What is the space you are speaking of?  A ridge vent is meant to ventilate the attic or the space between the interior cathedral ceiling, the insulation between the rafters and the roof sheathing.  Or are you speaking about ventilating the actual loft living space?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Arizona Highlander

Nice progress Tom.
I really like that loft and window up there.
Looking good!
Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

Solar Burrito

Quote from: MountainDon on August 26, 2010, 06:34:05 PM
Quote from: Solar Burrito on August 26, 2010, 03:33:09 PM
I'm debating on weather to put in a ridge vent or someother type of vent for the loft. The cabin won't be insulated for a few years but eventually it might be.

What is the space you are speaking of?  A ridge vent is meant to ventilate the attic or the space between the interior cathedral ceiling, the insulation between the rafters and the roof sheathing.  Or are you speaking about ventilating the actual loft living space?

Ya the loft is the spot I'm talking about. Any need for a vent with no insulation?
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

MountainDon

Maybe I'm being a little thick today  ???   I understand you to be saying you will not insulate between the rafters for a while. That you have a loft space directly under the rafters and roof sheathing. There is then no need for any ridge or roof venting at all. Of course on hot days it will get very hot. On cold days you might have moisture condense on the underside of the roof sheathing and that could cause a problem or discomfort. If things got very humid you might need to vent some interior air/humidity to the exterior. But if you install a ridge or other roof vents on a cool/cold day/night you'll also be venting off any heat to the outside.

So I think the question is really how are you planning on completing the insulation and the closing off of the cathedral ceiling space? That space may be required to be vented unless you are opting for one of the non-vented alternative construction method.

An opening window in the loft gable end could supply normal room ventilation as well as an emergency access/exit when sized correctly.

Does that help or am I off on a tangent that has no meaning to the original question?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Tom

Don, I understood this perfectly; of course, this may just mean that we're both nuts  :).

I need to start making sure that I remember my camera each time I go out. I'm afraid that I missed some steps (on film).

Solar Burrito, If you go to the previous page, you'll see where Redoverfarm was kind enough to tell me about kraft-R-mates in the rafters. MaineRhino was also good enough to post pics of what Red was talking about. The pics should explain the venting system. Just make sure that you give the air a place to escape at the top, like a ridge vent.

The kraft-R-mates come in plastic or in styrofoam. I chose the plastic, just because I've seen the damage that mice can do to things.

The kraft-R-mates leave a small air space that vents off to the ridge vent. As Don points out, without venting the loft area, it would cause problems.

Arizona Highlander, Thanks. I bought all the windows off craigslist. I put a small one in each end of the loft. Being as I have no electric there, I figured that I'd do all I could to keep the air moving through there... especially during the polyurathane process  [yuk]

Tom

Costs up to this point are (as near as I can figure) $3,900.

Tom

Hi all,
No more progress on the cabin. We moved to our new home and it's been busy. Deer hunting at the cabin was good. I filled my freezer. The only complaint was that the small heater that I used was not enough to make things comfortable.
After some thought, I'm thinking that my woodstove will take up too much floor space. I bought a used wall mounted propane heater, but haven't hooked it up yet.
I've been looking at my set up, and I'd like to pick your brains...
I'm built on a hill. I'd still like to use the woodstove, but I'm wondering if I could build a small brick enclosure down the hill from my cabin... maybe 6 or 8 feet. I was thinking maybe 4x4. It would be just for the stove. I'd run a heat vent up the hill and into the cabin.
Think the idea has any merit?

duncanshannon

Nice work on the place! I'm enjoying reading about the place. Keep the pics coming!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0