Phenylpropanolamine (PPA)

Started by Redoverfarm, September 10, 2008, 08:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Sorry in advance for the length of this post but I felt that some might not be aware of the danger associated.  So here it is.

I received this information from a friend whose mother recently passed away. Apparently, this was caused by a medication that is deadly.  Here are the details, and I suggest you pass it on to your loved ones and others.

Subject: Phenylpropanolamine (PPA)

I would like to thank those of you who expressed condolences on the recent passing of my mother.  She suffered a hemorrhagic stroke while she was driving home from my house on July 30th and passed away on August 3rd.  My mother's stroke and passing was an enormous shock to my family, because she did not have any symptoms or risk factors for a stroke.  Just the week before she had gone to her doctor for a check up and received a clean bill of health.

She did, however, develop a cold while she was visiting me and had taken Alka Seltzer Cold Plus for 3 days.  Since her passing, we have learned that Alka Seltzer is one of the many cold medicines that contains Phenylpropanolamine (PPA), which can cause hemorrhagic stokes or cerebral bleeding, even with the first use.  I am forwarding a list of other medications that currently use PPA..  These medicines are supposedly being recalled but my mother just purchased this medication less than two weeks ago.  Pharmaceutical companies have known about this danger for years, we unfortunately, did not.

I urge you to review the list of medicines with PPA and avoid these medications.  All drugs containing PHENYLPROPANOLAMINE are dangerous.  You may want to try calling the 800 number listed on most drug boxes and inquire about a REFUND.  Please read this CAREFULLY.  Also, please pass this on to everyone you know.  STOP TAKING anything containing this ingredient.

It has been linked to increased hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding in brain) among women ages 18-49 in the three days after starting use of the medication.  Problems were not found in men, but the FDA recommended that everyone (even children) seek alternative medicine.

The following medications contain Phenylpropanolamine :-

1.  Acutrim Diet Gum Appetite Suppressant
2.  Acutrim Plus Dietary Supplements
3  Acutrim Maximum Strength Appetite Control
4.  Alka-Seltzer Plus Children's Cold Medicine Effervescent
5.  Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold medicine (Cherry or Orange )
6.  Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine Original
7.  Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine Effervescent
8.  Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Flu Medicine
9.  Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Sinus Effervescent
10.  Alka Seltzer Plus Night-Time Cold Medicine
11.  BC Allergy Sinus Cold Powder
12.  BC Sinus Cold Powder
13.  Comtrex Flu Therapy & Fever Relief
14.  Day & Night Contac 12-Hour Cold Capsules
15.  Contac 12 Hour Caplets
16.  Coricidin D Cold, Flu & Sinus
17.  Dexatrim Caffeine Free
18.  Dexatrim Extended Duration
19.  Dexatrim Gelcaps
20.  Dexatrim Vitamin C/Caffeine Free
21.  Dimetapp Cold & Allergy Chewable Tablets
22.  Dimetapp Cold & Cough Liqui-Gels
23.  Dimetapp DM Cold & Cough Elixir
24.  Dimetapp Elixir
25.  Dimetapp 4-Hour Liquid Gels
26.  Dimetapp 4-Hour Tablets
27.  Dimetapp 12-Hour Extentabs Tablets
28.  Naldecon DX Pediatric Drops
29.  Permathene Mega-16
30.  Robitussin CF
31.  Tavist-D 12-Hour Relief of Sinus & Nasal Congestion
32.  Triaminic DM Cough Relief
33.  Triaminic Expectorant Chest & Head
34.  Triaminic Sy rup Co ld & ; Amp; Amp Allergy
35.  Triaminic Triaminicol Cold & Cough

I just found out and called the 800# on the container for Triaminic and they informed me that they are voluntarily recalling the following medicines because of a certain ingredient that is causing strokes and seizures in children:

1   Orange 3D Cold & Allergy Cherry (Pink)
2.  3D Cold & Cough Berry
3.  3D Cough Relief Yellow 3D Expectorant

They are asking you to call them at 800-548-3708 with the lot number on the box so they can send you postage for you to send it back to them, and they will also issue you a refund.  If you know of anyone else with small children, PLEASE PASS THIS ON.  THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!

DO PASS ALONG TO ALL ON YOUR MAILING LIST so people are informed.  They can then pass it along to their families.

To confirm these findings, please take time to check the following:

http://www.fda. gov/cder/ drug/infopage/ ppa/

MountainDon

Everything in that post / message is true. However, it is now a few years out of date.

Phenylpropanolamine is no longer available in an OTC drug.  I believe that is true as of about three years ago, maybe longer.

It is a super decongestant. Too bad it might kill you. IIRC it affected women more than men. I used to use those compounds a lot.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

So sorry, Red, I hadn't heard...   I think Don's right, I'd heard about this a few years ago, also & understood they'd taken it off the market...  You said your mom had just purchased it?  Wonder if some store still had it on the shelves & wasn't supposed to.   Good info, tho, if anyone has it at home.  They've recently taken cold medications for children off the market - don't remember the name...
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

More info in the same vein...  :D

Folks with high blood pressure should be wary of all decongestants on the market. Most cold & flu medicines include a decongestant. Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine are two of the most common. They have an elevating effect on blood pressure. Bad news if you already have high BP.

In my case the use of a decongestant takes my BP from 110/70 to 130+/90+ with a single dose.

Coricidin HBP is a cold "remedy" that contains no decongestant, hence it does not affect your BP. It also doesn't do squat about your stuffed nose.

If I'm correct that note from John was an email he received.  I don't mean to embarrass anyone, especially John, with my posts. Simply my skeptical nature makes me verify anything like that that comes along. In this case it was all true, just out of date, but still being circulated. This one I was familiar with as I recalled hearing about the dangers of that drug from years ago. We dumped a number of those pills back then.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sparks

This is the stuff that was in the OTC diet tablets in the early seventies. Usually coupled with a good dose of caffeine. They were made to look like the 'white cross' tablets, which were actually 5mg methedrine....the real thing. Truck driver helpers.

I worked in a hometown drug store back then.............Did a bit of research while employed there.

My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

MountainDon

That's right... it was first indicted as bad medicine in the OTC diet pills.  It took a while for the other danger to show up.

sparks

While I was employed at that drug store, the diet pills came in gallon jugs.

About 2000 pills in a jug.

100 pills to a box (that was my job, to count them out)

Purchased mostly by women......go figure

My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

peternap

I'm glad John posted this!
I have a lot of OTC medicine (as well as an aging supply of atropine, Novocaine, surgery kits, etc) in my end of the world kit.  It's at least 4 years old and as a matter of fact, I got some Alka Seltzer Cold from it a few weeks ago when I was sick...More stuff to throw away. :(
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Speaking of end of the world kits...

I have emergency kits, as I have called them with all kinds of similar stuff. One thing I added a few years ago were first aid "bleed stop pads", I think I mentioned these someplace else around here. This is for large wounds mainly. One name is celox, available as a powder. Another is QR; that's the one I have that combines the powder with a large pressure pad.

Of course there's also cayenne pepper. It is supossed to stop beleeding when applied to the wound. Never tried it.

Antibiotics such as Amoxicillin and Cephalexin may be purchased from vet suppliers without an Rx. I'm not condoning self medication, but if your aim is to stock some antibiotics for emergency use.....   Cal Vet Supply is one mail order supplier. They come labeled for fish tank use, but they are regular pharmaceutical grade.

Sassy

Quote from: sparks on September 11, 2008, 12:18:37 AM
While I was employed at that drug store, the diet pills came in gallon jugs.

About 2000 pills in a jug.

100 pills to a box (that was my job, to count them out)

Purchased mostly by women......go figure

My mom worked for a doctor as a lab tec when she was young - she said they had big bottle of medications - including the "diet pills" - the doc would just tell her to help herself if she was thinking about going on a diet (she was always thin); my dad would fly 24hr missions or longer when he'd fly over Russia back during the cold war taking pictures of their military bases etc - they'd take the cross tops on these long flights - the military supplied them...  how times have changed!  

I'm always stocked up pretty good with stuff, but I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a couple antibiotics - we can get them pretty cheap at the local feed store...   ::)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free