Pioneergal's "Gunsmoke Trails"

Started by pioneergal, May 21, 2006, 11:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

pioneergal

Thanks Glenn and Sassy!

I am sorry that it took so long to get some news pictures to the forum but my camera program would not cooperate.
Mike said it had been so long since we had put up any new pictures that everyone probably thought the house was just a figment of our imagination. :D Ours bodies tell a different story.

We will be at the house tomorrow and start on the living room which is the last room to be "rocked".
Hopefully by the middle of September we will have accumulated enough funds to have the walls and ceilings taped, bedded, and textured.
Our goal is to move in by Christmas when it will be habitable but not be completed.

This old MH is leaking like a sieve and we really don't think it will make it through another rainy and cold winter.

God Bless,
Jackie

pioneergal

Just an update.

After several delays we FINALLY finished hanging all of the sheetrock in the house.
I do not EVER want to do that again!
We will spend the next week or so clearing out all the tools and etc so the finishers can come in and tape, bed, and texture the ceilings and walls.
Our goal is to have them come about the 15th.......maybe the money tree will have something on it by then  :)

Jackie

glenn kangiser

I am not fond of sheetrock myself.  Being able to do it doesn't make it any better. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

pioneergal

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 29, 2008, 12:46:37 AM
I am not fond of sheetrock myself.  Being able to do it doesn't make it any better. [crz]

I can't say that we wasn't warned by several on the forum about what to expect should we decide to do the job instead of contracting it out to a pro.

Figuring that we have more time than money we decided on sweat equity and use the little bit of money that we would save on another project that we would need to hire out.

After hanging 6600 sq. ft. on ceilings and walls I must say that if I NEVER see another piece of sheetrock, screwgun, rasp, or knife again I'll not be offended.

My hat is off to you guys that do this often !

Oh well, tomorrow will be another day and by next week the aches and pains will be only a memory.

All that being said, it is very rewarding to look back and be able to say "I did that"!

pioneergal

If anyone has ideas about what design to use for the front steps we would like for you to share them with us.

The porch is 8 x 48 ......8 feet between the post that are to the left and right of the door.

penn

Hi there!

I live in Denton and might be building after college in Midlothian (30 minutes south of Dallas).  Are you in the Denton area? I recognize all of the mesquite trees in your pictures!  What plans did you use?  My husband and I are having fun looking at everyone's work and dreaming...!

glenn kangiser

w* penn.

We have a lot of Texas people.  I think Jackie (pioneergal) will drop back in shortly.

Jackie -- I was thinking you might want to make full width steps - for the 8" section - are you thinking wood or maybe rock or something different?

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Jackie this is what I did on my steps to the porch. The width of the steps is just under 8'.  The porch is 8'X 32' . I think your elevation was higher than mine but you could add the apprioate # steps to achieve it.  They are poured steps with a 1-1/2 lip on the steps. That allowed for faux or cultured stone to be applied to the risers. No great expense in the stone as the risers only took one course  about 7 sq ft per each step.  Just something to consider.

Poured steps before stone on the porch piers and risers

Completed with stone on the piers and risers

glenn kangiser

Yours is the one I had in mind, John.  Looks great.