Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

A million things going before I split to Burma.... Myo mentioned he cancelled his attendance for a short notice meeting because I was arriving the 31st.  I thought about it and told him his colleagues needed him there too much to cancel for me and I now have extra time as I extended my trip, so he said he would send his son and attend the meeting.  This would be the equivalent of the King of rice canceling his attendance for me... I didn't feel right about that.  Now it is all better, though Myo will have to drive back 200 miles to get me.... He is such a wonderful caring giving friend.  He is the type that does his work out of love for the people. :o

Got the logs moved to work on a major portion of the hugelkultur bed today and planted 36 strawberry plants in the garden.... got Sassy a load of dry live oak so she doesn't run out before I get back and washed 2 loads of clothes.... got a load of wood in and split for the house sitter too.  [ouch]

Got a head of green cauliflower getting about ready to eat ...

Had broccoli flowerlets for dinner last night - may finish them tonight.  Love those heirloom types.   :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Rick told me a bit about a horse.... they know when they have a greenhorn on their back......soooo ... today we went and un-greenhorned me. [noidea'

Mr. Ed thought we were going to do things his way for a bit... but a couple of gentle nudges in the ribs and a few slaps on the butt made him decide to do it my way.  I let him know that there was no going back to the corral until I said we would, in fact we went back near it then went back my way a couple of times just to make sure he understood who the boss was.   :o

I took positive control of him and we did circles around the cul-de-sac, figure 8's around a couple groups of trees, reversed it and did it again a few times with circles around one of them anytime I felt like it just to show him who was in charge.  No getting speedy on the way back to the corral either.  Take off like we were going to run....  I said stop or slow.... Go again then stop and back up.  The trails are too dangerous around here for him to not listen to what I tell him. 

Angling up the trail on the side-hill is one thing but going straight down backwards could end both of us.  Better he lets me direct than for him to back up without looking.  [waiting]

Once we re-established the pecking order he was a very good boy.  We went up and down the road until I was happy that he wouldn't give the orders.  Turns, circles, reverse were all executed immediately on my orders..... good boy.

Did our three miles or so then came back and started learning how to get grain for allowing a big hug without backing away.  Not that I am that much into hugging horses, but it all makes it easier for me to handle and work with him, get his harness and bridle on, if he is more used to being handled.   :)

My neighbor noticed I still had the short roping reins and went to his shop and dug out a pair of split reins.  My buddy in Greeley Hill is making me a brand new set also that I will pick up when I get back from Burma.  Yay....

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Glenn the "Horse Wisperer".  ;)

When I first started riding it was on a 3 year old.  He new I was younger than he. ;)  If you look at the worse possible brush and briers on your property you can guess where he decided to try to get rid of me at.  Well I was determined that I wasn't going to give in.  So after about an hour he settled down and realized I was a permanent resident. 

My wife still doesn't like to ride.  Some bad experiences when she was real young.  She had made the comment after her first ride of about 6 years old that " she didn't like sitting on the horses lap". ;)

glenn kangiser

Yeah... pssst.... Good Boy..... :)

Actually... I talk to him just like a person... as if he understood and could talk back.... actually... it seems like he does.... [waiting]

glenn kangiser

Ok... so I am sure he does....

Who's the boss... am I the boss? .... Shakes his head yes and gets a hand full of grain...

Are you a good boy?... Shakes his head yes and gets a handful of grain...

Do you want some more grain?... Shakes his head yes and gets a handful of grain.....

Were you a bad boy?.... Shakes his head yes and gets a handful of grain....

Do I get a Big Hug?.... Let's me give him a hug... gets a handful of grain....

See... he is totally intelligent and completely knows what I am saying..... In fact, sometimes he shakes his head yes and initiates the conversation and I know what he is saying.... Sooooo there..... [waiting]

Hmmm ... he also seems to always know which pocket the baggie of grain is in... what could be more intelligent than that?  [noidea'

Ernest T. Bass

You make it look like fun, Glenn... My sibs would love to take their horses out on a ride with you through those hills.

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

John Raabe

Ride cowboy, ride.

Thanks for taking us along. My only riding is a short dude ranch outing.

Will you be riding a water buffalo in Burma?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

I suggested that to Myo, John.... He said water buffalo were everywhere but he couldn't guarantee riding one....    [deadhorse]

I rode for a few days when I was about ten years old.... and a day about ten years ago.  Not having too much trouble with it as I get to know more about what Mr.  Ed is thinking... He knows what to do and not to do... I just have to figure it out with my limited communication skills... [noidea'

Fortunately I have good friends and board members who are willing to help along with helpful videos off of the net. 

Andrew, I would love to ride with them.  I am currently thinking of places I can go from here on a horse... actually it is a pretty long ways. :)

One I am thinking of is the spring that Jessie Benton Fremont raised her children near when the foothills were hotter than the hubs of Hell in the summer time.  She would load up the family and take them to the summer camp they had at Fremont Spring about 5 miles from here.   [cool]

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 25, 2013, 05:15:09 PM
Glenn the "Horse Wisperer".  ;)

When I first started riding it was on a 3 year old.  He new I was younger than he. ;)  If you look at the worse possible brush and briers on your property you can guess where he decided to try to get rid of me at.  Well I was determined that I wasn't going to give in.  So after about an hour he settled down and realized I was a permanent resident. 

My wife still doesn't like to ride.  Some bad experiences when she was real young.  She had made the comment after her first ride of about 6 years old that " she didn't like sitting on the horses lap". ;)

You know, John... that sounds like my first rides on the Welsh pony when I was about 9 years old. 

He would look for low limbs to knock me off on or turn his head around and bite me on the leg....whatever he could do to try and knock the cigarette out of my mouth.  [ouch]

I guess he knew how much I hated smoking but the kid who owned the horses said we would look tough..... [waiting]

BTW, my buddy from Greeley Hill called and said he had my new split reins ready also.... will pick them up after I return from Burma... :)

glenn kangiser

Took Mr. Ed on another great ride this morning... I prevailed and we had a great time... Oh ... there was resistance at times but that made the ride even more of a great fun challenge.  We kept it leisurely and did the things I wanted to do..... heh

Trying to get myself in gear to get all of the loose ends connected for my trip to Burma.  Getting things set up with the house sitter tomorrow.  Whitlock is backup also working here and checking in regularly.  Both neighbors are looking out for things as a back up for the backup.  Nice to have great friends.  :)

Sassy checked out parking in SFO at my motel for me today so I now have a plan for what I will do for extended parking.  Thanks, Sassy.  You always manage to take care of the details for me and I appreciate it.  Note that she is doing well and preparing for her next hip surgery 2 weeks after I return.  She will also drop by the Underground complex to check things out periodically.

My friend and extended family member, Myo, in Burma sent me our Super Exciting Itinerary he has planned a bit ago.... copying the details here so you can check out some of the places if you like.  Thang will meet us in Bagan on the 2nd it looks like.  Myo was at the Underground Complex 2 years ago.  Thang was here last year.  We were very fortunate to have both UC Davis Humphrey Fellows from Myanmar/Burma stay with us at the Underground Complex.

Myo asked me for additional things I may want to see so he could work them in if possible.

QuoteDear Glenn,

Thank you for your intended preference of yours. I promise you to send rice mills ran by Steam boiler and engine. I've arranged already. You can taste real farming lives in Upper Myanmar, called Shwe Bo, Sagaing Region, which is the place of my farmers. Water buffalos can be seen anywhere, but riding is not sure. :)
Elephants can't be found in public places and villages apart from logging areas which are located in remote places.
I will take Myanmar map for your reference so that you can trace along the hi-way road and know the places where you visited.

Here is draft tentative schedule outline for you. It starts from 1st to 7th February. (if you can change your departure date to 8 Feb). (Note: changed to 10th-gk)

Day 0, 31 January, Your arrival day! I will come and pick you at the airport and send to hotel nearby my warehouse. Then we will go around Yangon for sight seeing, enjoy dinners at China Town or suitable restaurant.

Day 1 and Day 2, 1 Feb and 2 Feb:  Depart from Yangon early in the morning, 5 am, to Bagan. We will stay at Sky Palace Hotel for 2 nights to explore Bagan Area, Mount Popa and surrounding areas like Kyaukpadaung.

Day 3, Feb 3, Depart from Bagan early in the morning 5 am to Mandalay. Sight seeing around Mandalay, Mandalay Hill, Mahar Muni Buddha Statue, Mandalay King's Palace, nearby places.I will introduce with my closed friends who are rice millers and farmers in that area. We will stay overnight at Tiger Hotel.

Day 4, 4 Feb, Depart to Shwe Bo, Sagaing Region which is also a major rice area where we can enjoy the lives of farming communities. We will stay overnight at one small hotel (new hotel). Shwe Bo is my favorite place and my millers and farmers are very cooperative for me. They follow what I suggested to do.

Day 5, 5 Feb, Depart to Aung Ban (located in Shan State) around 8 am via Mandalay. Along the way to Aung Ban, you can taste the different ecosystem and landscape of high land. (But a bit different from Mariposa and Yosemite area). You can see farming of other crops like Maize, vegetables, but rice is not major crop in that region. We will stay at Myat Manaw Hotel in Aung Ban.

Day 6, Depart to Inle Lake. Enjoy the trip until late afternoon. Then depart to Taung Gyi, located over 4000 feet above sea level. We will stay overnight at Taung Gyi Hotel.Sight seeing around Taung Gyi.

Day 7, Depart back to Yangon in the morning. Stay overnight at the Hotel in Yangon.

Have a good time.

Best regards,

Myo

I am prepared to take thousands of pictures and days of video.... hope I get some good stuff. 

OH... I can hardly wait.....   :)

Windpower

Bon Voyage, Glenn

good luck with the jet lag

One thing that helps me with jet lag  --- (if you are a coffee drinker) --- don't drink coffee for a couple days -- Then the first morning at destination have a couple strong coffees ( not decaff)

it will help

Stay awake the all day the first day if at all possible then you will get some sleep the first night

Sounds like a great trip
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the tips, Windpower.  I think I can make that work out.  I have a 6 hour layover in Singapore I think which should give me sleepy time... Hope that works. 

I informally quit coffee a few months ago.... it would not be against my religion to start for a bit if necessary..... :)

glenn kangiser

Mr Ed and I went for a walk this morning....   :)

Didn't have time for a ride today as there was so much to do.  The house sitter came by and got briefed on things around here as well as a briefing on Mr Ed.  They actually own him but haven't played with him that much so I had to show her how to make him ask for his grain and she promised to take good care of him.

I'm going to miss that big ol' lug.......  :(

glenn kangiser

Like dude.........I am so outa here........

glenn kangiser

I'm like all excited, eh.......!!!

Got emails from Myo and Thang this morning.  All is well.....even better.

Thang had to cancel his meeting us the 2nd because he is only in Yangon the 9th and 10th. ...my last two days.  What could be better?      I won't be lost and all alone in Yangon. I might even make it back home.  :)

ben2go

Good luck on the trip.Can't wait for the trip report.

glenn kangiser

Thanks Ben. 

I will never want to fly another airline.  Singapore Air has me spoiled.   d*

The food, snacks and constant attention is the best of any airline I have been on.

ben2go

First class.  :)  How long was the flight?I got bored when I was a pilot and flew long distances.

glenn kangiser

I met a wonderful Vietnamese student on her way to Hanoi tonight.

Linh helped me find the right train to terminal 2 here in Singapore, then suggested a great noodle restaurant.

She studied economics in Colorado and likes to talk to Americans when she sees them.

We had some great conversations at our meal during our layover..

The flight was 12 hours from SFO to Incheon Ben. 6 hrs from Incheon to Singapore.  One more leg to go from Singapore to Yangon. :)

ben2go

Good luck on the rest of your flights.Good to see there are welcoming faces over there.With the state of the world,you never know who to trust.

glenn kangiser

Thanks Ben.

Yes, US foreign policy has created a lot of enemies.  Fortunately a lot of people in the world don't hold it against us as individuals. 

As with people everywhere. ..a few bad....mostly good ones.  :)

Whitlock

Got a E-mail this morning that he made it.
Hopefully he can get on here and post some pictures :-\
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

ben2go

Thanks for the update.I hope he comes on bearing pictures.

glenn kangiser

Hey Dudes.... King Glenn here....  ::)

Just getting my stuff sorted and working around a bit of Jet Lag - got some sleep after riding around Yangon and being shown a great time by Myat, son of my friend Myo.

Currently getting Picasa loaded into my travel computer as I have internet tonight.  5AM here now.  I slept from 8 pm to 3AM.

Myo got back at 2AM from his International Rice Research Institute meeting at the capitol 200 miles north.  He moved up his meeting me time to 8AM.

I met a sweet little 15yo girl in the bazaar yesterday selling fans to the tourists. I thought she was about 8 at first.  She said, yes, we are small here. She had excellent English and was an aggressive little salesperson.   Kyat are about 850 to the dollar. 

I got two fans for 7500 I think.  She gave me a real bargain discounting me 1500 Kyat from 9000. She learned English one word at a time bargaining with tourists. I dealt with her for 2 fans for a long time as Myat videoed us. I don't try to bargain too hard as I want them to make some money but bargaining is expected here or they think it is no fun.  It is customary according to a video I watched. She was so fun to talk to and so smart. I love the people here.

A man selling Burmese tops that wind with a string and spin on your hand or anything else sold me three as a lady with her small children watched.  I gave two to the kids and kept one for me in exchange for a photo op... they were so grateful.  All of the salespeople in the bazaar started trying to sell me stuff but I had to stop.. only my first day and have to be cautious so I don't overload my bags or run low on money.

I got $341200 Kyat for $400.... spent about $20000 Kyat so far.  :)

Pix soon I hope....

Ernest T. Bass

What an adventure--sounds like fun! Good thing you left Ed back here or you might decide not to come home. ;)

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!