20X30 1&1/2 story cabin in No. Ca. coastal mt. range

Started by handyman, March 13, 2009, 10:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

handyman

I have added up my costs and so far materials are at $13000.  Foundation $3600, Framing $5500, Roof $3500 and Windows $400.  Labor is some where around $3000.  There is no electrical or plumbing yet.  Luckily no one got hurt. 
There was no inspector or permits,  but I tried to build to code.

SardonicSmile

Would love an update -  this house is almost exactly identical to what I'm building! Just dug the footings.

handyman

Sardonic

The snow drifts are probably deep on top of the 7000 ft mountain pass.  The road won't be open until May probably. 
     If I was doing my foundation again I would put vents in the block foundation.  I waited to long to cut vents in my floor joist blocking, and mildew was already starting.
     The first thing to do is trim the windows and doors, and then install hardie board lap siding.  Also I'd like to install the wood stove chimney and hearth, and insulate. 
     Good luck with your digging.

davidj

We had exactly the same problem with mildew (in Plumas County).  6 mil polyethylene sheet over the dirt, taped to the walls, fixed it (along with some vents, but they got snowed over so it was mostly the vapor barrier).

We also ended up with the same metal roof (Metal Sales standing seam), but in green.  Installed it was $8K, including a porch, so you saved a fair bit installing it yourself.

handyman

Davidj
     Thankyou for the information.  I think the ventelation problem is O.K. now but I will have to cut the siding around the vents.
Installing the roof was a job that is good to have finished, and I paid Dennis (the guy with the buck) to help.
     Have you penetrated your roof for a stove pipe?  They sold me a silicone roof jack at metal sales but it is not for a 10 in 12 slope.  My roof ribs are 18'' apart and my double wall stove pipe is 14''.  Maybe I need to get a sheet metal shop to make one.

davidj

Quote from: handyman on March 04, 2010, 02:17:20 PM
Have you penetrated your roof for a stove pipe?  They sold me a silicone roof jack at metal sales but it is not for a 10 in 12 slope.  My roof ribs are 18'' apart and my double wall stove pipe is 14''.  Maybe I need to get a sheet metal shop to make one.
I had the suppliers of the stove put the stove pipe through before the roof went on as I really wanted it in for winter and ran out of time and ladder enthusiasm to do it myself.  I can't remember offhand exactly how they flashed it - there's a picture here.  The rectangular chimney support box comes through the roof, standing above the roof an inch or two at the bottom and pretty much flush at the top.  I.e. the hole in the metal is rectangular.  Note the white patch above the chimney is snow, not part of the flashing, and it's since gained a snow splitter.

Redoverfarm

I have seen that many times over the years.  There is place known as Williams River which has a bear sancuary nearby.  Unfortuneately it is a well used camping area.  You guessed it the two do not mix well.  Most are done as the campers leave windows cracked and food on the table.  Sorry that you got robbed but I guess you can look at it as a motivational factor.  Looked at the house and it appears that you are getting closer anyway.

handyman

Rendover

The bears live here in the National Forest.  It is called Bear wallow ridge,so I guess they were here first.

They hibernate near by and are hungry in the spring.

Here is more of what they did

They tore up my screens but at least not the windows

The next thing to do is window trim, siding and shutters.

bigcozy

Man, that is a kick in the pants.  I heard from a biologist that some kinds of insulation create a smell that bears think is food.  I believe in smells like grubs or somehing like that, and they tear into RVs quite a bit because of it.

Redoverfarm

Handyman this is in the National Forest as well.  They are quite common in this area.  Just last week my son saw one at the cabin.  I had just hung a Hummingbird feeder up but it was still there two days in a row.  Can't say as much for the Huckleberries though. ;D

handyman

Here are some photos of cabin progress.
Most of the hardi board siding is up.
I got a roof jack made and put in an Aladin wood stove that came free from a job.
The kitchen cabinets and marble counter tops were also free salvaged by my son.

I hope to finish the siding, and paint it soon.
The stairs are almost dangerous, but there is so much to do.

handyman

Put  up the last piece of hardiboard siding yesterday,and it's nice to be done going up and down the ladder.

The weather was nice, but it might be next spring before painting.

handyman

The snow must have been too heavy for my roof safe.  The tape is covering a gap in the sheet metal.  [IMG]https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss255/handyman02/IM000

archimedes

What's that tool you used to hold the Hardie board in place with while nailing.  looks pretty neat.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

handyman

Archimedes     I think it was called the Gheco, sold at the bldg.supply. Wish I bought it earlier.

handyman

We went to our cabin for the weekend.  The weather has warmed up, and wild flowers are out.

The local rocks shaped into a fire ring.

My daughter with her .22  shooting targets.

handyman

This is my second roof jack for the wood stove.  Above it is a snow splitter that I had made at a sheet metal shop in Lake Tahoe, Ca. where they have lots of snow.

I haven't gotten much done this summer, But have started the ABS sewer plumbing.

Tickhill

Great idea with the snow splitter! Very innovative, not much call for one of those where I live but we had more snow last year than we have had for years.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

BRUTAL

THAT LOOKS GREAT. AND YES THE SIDING HOLDER IS CALLED GHECO'S. THEYRE ABOUT $45-50 FOR THE PAIR.  WELL WORTH IT DOING HANDIPLANK BY YOURSELF. HECK I THINK THEYRE WORTH IT WORKING WITH 2 PEOPLE. I SEEM TO GET HELP FROM PEOPLE THAT CANT SHOOT POOL(THEY CANT MAKE A STRAIGHT LINE TO SAVE THEIR LIVES :) )
THATS WHY I FINISHED THE ROOF BY MYSELF AND AM DOING THE SIDING
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11116.0
making mistakes along the way and wishing Ide been here sooner :)

handyman

Thank you , I hope it works. 

This chimney is getting expensive, and a little frustrating.

handyman

This weekend finally installed stairs, and drilled vent holes in the freeze blocks.  Hope to insulate the roof this fall.