New Code Adopted

Started by glenn kangiser, May 02, 2008, 08:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Since the new code was adopted at the first of the year, my building inspector stated that they have only issued 5 building permits (since January 1st, 2008).  Count them.  1,2,3,4,5.

The housing screw up and the new code have pretty well stopped the building trades in our county.

We are in some kind of urban fire land zone -- stucco - Hardi Board etc. only on all new builds. No exterior wood siding.  I haven't researched it yet.

d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeT

So does one have to follow the newly adopted code if the permit was issued under a previous code?

mt

glenn kangiser

I haven't had any problem with the one I'm on but it has rock walls.

I think anything that was approved before it is under the old code it was approved under.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: MikeT on May 02, 2008, 09:43:22 PM

So does one have to follow the newly adopted code if the permit was issued under a previous code?

Generally NO , BUT sometimes it depends on how long you've taken to build , some DIY folks can  drag a permit on for years, the code officials can get "testy" when that happens.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Here's a new one I remembered he mentioned today-- All exterior windows tempered.  How about them apples. ::

MountainDon

That's so the burglars won't get hurt as readily when they smash a window to break in.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

Well we are talking about the Liberal Left Coast, are we not?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

The rest of them might be but I'm anti-everything. [crz]

Yes -- I guess you might call it that but like they want us to be, we are unable to do anything without saying mother may I.

Redoverfarm

The sad thing about this is that what the west coast does the east coast does also but it takes about 10+ years to make the trip.

glenn kangiser

All geared toward big money and big business at the expense of the poor useless eater who needs a home for his family.

We are talking about the illusion of safety no matter what the cost for the benefit of the major game players, corporations, ICBO, building officials and training at high cost for their profit, taxation agencies, school systems, architects, engineers, glass plants, window manufacturers, fire departments all who benefit directly by higher taxes based on percentage, higher cost materials, greater fees for design etc.  Higher education protecting higher education - the good ol' boy system at it's finest.

This is not entirely about safety no matter what the cost.  It is more about extracting the last drop of blood possible from the aspiring homeowner before he dies.

ScottA

Just wait till they mandate all concrete and steel construction. Think of all the trees they'll save and how safe the houses will be.

Sasquatch

We're really taking a hit due to the new codes here in SoCal. In my little mountain town of approx. 5000 people, we lost ~20% of our homes to the fires last year. Number of permits issue for re-construction this year? 14. And most of those are in neighboring mountain towns with higher home values (better investment).

While I'm certainly understanding of those codes designed to mitigate risk/loss due to our frequent wildfires, these new regs are ridiculous. Looks like some vendors had a few drinks at a trade show, drafted their version of a perfect world, and sold it all, hook, line & sinker to our county.

I have all but scrapped my plan to build a new home up here. In fact, I may even abandon my search for land in NorCal, unless I can find some places the code Nazis don't bother.

Anyone know of such places?

StinkerBell

I hear Idaho might be the place your looking for.

rwanders

Just about anywhere in Alaska outside of Anchorage, Fairbanks or Juneau-----+ all the other delights of the last frontier!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

eric

Hello,

I'm personally considering the use of the word 'fascism' in all sentences involving building codes, but that's just me. A permit in an incorporated part of Kootenai County (N. Idaho) will set you back 10 grand plus. One county north (Bonner) has no building code enforcement in unincorporated areas, but still to get a "building site permit" on a piece of land I was looking at required permission from 5 agencies. Land prices have quadrupled in parts of Kootenai in the last 3 years, and property taxes have doubled in a lot of areas.

And, forgive me, but it's illegal for a man to crap in a bucket anywhere in the whole state unless there is a conventional flush toilet with septic system on the premises. I am a responsible person who wants to crap in a bucket. Is that so much to ask?

Maybe Alaska is the promise land.

supercalifragilisticsammydavisjunior

glenn kangiser

Fascism is the proper word, Eric. 

May you find a nice piece of unregulated land qith a nice little clearing surrounded by tall bushes in your pursuit of happiness. :)

Okie_Bob

Well, I just have to throw in my 2 cents on this for all you people in the People's Republic of California. Sell your homes, take all the profits and move to Texas. It ain't perfect here by any means but, I just finished my house on the lake and I didn't have to get one single permit for anything!!!! NONE, NADA, NOPE NOTHING!!! Most of you would have enough profit from your homes, you could come here, buy land, build a house twice as nice as you have in the People's Republic and still have enough cash left in your pocket to retire!!!! And I'm not kidding at all. California is a beautiful place....to visit...I was transfered there back in the mid '80's and loved the country. But, how anyone can afford to live there is beyond me! We also have a right to carry a concealed weapon...and you'd be amazed how much nicer drivers are now days!!! (You really don't want to p___ off anyone anymore.) And if you walk on my yard, I can shoot you, no questions asked. God I love it here!!
Ain't Americal great!!!!
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

Man, you're pretty radical, BoB. :)

Too close to Dubya there though.

John_C

Quote...and you'd be amazed how much nicer drivers are now days!!!

QuoteAn armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
... Robert A Heinlien

MountainDon

Quote from: Okie_Bob on May 07, 2008, 09:45:43 AM.... all you people in the People's Republic of California. Sell your homes, take all the profits and move to Texas. It ain't perfect here....
Ditto here in NM. We have a couple people on our street who did that very thing a number of years ago. It's probably more true if the Californian has been there a while as prices increased astronomically.

shanekid

I've got to second Okie Bob. Texas rocks. If you have the guts to try to do it yourself, you still can.

I'm looking at building a two story cottage on a lot I found nearby. I do have to submit plans, but its only a $30 filing fee.

glenn kangiser

Sounds great, shanekid. w*

Please post your project here in our projects section.

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on May 03, 2008, 08:04:54 AM
The sad thing about this is that what the west coast does the east coast does also but it takes about 10+ years to make the trip.

John.....that's the most accurate statement I have ever heard!

I haven't figured out WHY yet, but it sure is true.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

We have all the college grads who think it's cool to make things cost a lot for the citizens -- make them all pay the price because you can, and wring every last penny they can borrow out of them, so you know -- everyone wants to be cool like us. ::)