Livin in a "dried in" first floor of a 2 story build... possible???

Started by Steve_B, February 08, 2013, 12:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_B

An interesting question to pose here on it being possible or not.... and keeping in mind here there are NO inspectors or inspections where the house is to be built

Let's say you were set in planning a 2 story build on a small lot that you owned. With a very tight budget in hand, would it be possible to build the first floor of the home ( concrete slab ) to the point of the exterior walls, exterior sheathing, windows installed, exterior doors installed, and the I joists for the second floor installed and then sheathed over with osb and then say maybe tarpappered or tyvaked over the second floor osb for a "dried in" first floor of the home and live there for about 2 months while you save the funding for the second floor and roof trusses to complete the entire house build?

Reasoning.... moving in like this would instantly free up the rent money we were paying plus other expenses in living in our current rental home here. We barely get by living here and there is no way to "save" any money while renting.... the thought is to move in to the frist floor ASAP and save all the money as quickly as possible to finish the rest of the planned build.

My thinking is the "dried in" first floor is secured with windows and doors installed, protected short term from any rain falling with a tyvak or tarpaper roof on the second floor. My best estimate on money would be living like this for 8 to 10 weeks. Electricity would be from a temporary contruction pole, or a generator capable of running a smaller fridge and tv or such.

Any and all thoughts welcomed here.....
It's all about the kiddies I tell you...

itpdk9

in my non professional opinion, any thing is possible it would just depend on your comfort level.  What would you do about plumbing? I would also add that running a generator all the time for that amount of time would be very costly.  Just the first two things that come to my mind.  Hope that helps a little. 

Steve_B

Main bathroom is on the first floor and would be fully working, as well as water and drain for a kitchen sink

Yes, the genny is he last resort.... the temp pole would be the way to go

SouthernTier

Tyvek isn't waterproof, just windproof.  And if the wind blows, I wouldn't count on the tar paper.  And even the most waterproof liner in the world won't work if it is sitting flat on the 2nd floor OSB.  Water always finds a way.

Are you planning on a metal roof?  You could buy the metal for a temp roof and then remove it and reinstall it later once your building grows a story.

As itpdk9 says, anything is possible.  But this would more be camping than living in a house.  Nothing wrong with that so long as the authorities (or lack thereof) don't mind.  Wouldn't you at least need some kind of inspection for power from pole, even if it is temporary?

flyingvan

There was a trend for awhile where people would build a single story structure, and they'd do something like beef up the sole plates and pour the foundation as suitable for a two story house.  When they were ready to expand they'd crib up the single story, and continue to line in it while building a new first story (so the original first story became the second)  I imagine some doors would stick.
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Squirl

I've had a very heavy duty tarp over sheathing for a roof for months, no problems.  All grommets were nailed in around the edges.  If you built the sheathing for the second floor and put your materials under it, I would bet it would be possible for a few months

Two months seems like an optimistic projection.  From what I have experienced, both money and time spent usually dictates more time allotted.  I would bet 4-6 months. Good luck.

Redoverfarm

So in essence you will be living in a "partially dried in" structure.  I believe I would postpone my process until I could at least get a suitable 2nd story dried in which would include a roof. Once you get the second floor dried in which would include a roof and sidewalls I can see the possibility.  With subfloor on the 2nd story floor you can isolate it from the first floor.  You can use tyvex on the exterior walls and depending on the length needed to put a permanent roof doesn't exceed 8 months or so you can go with a Titanium synthetic roof underlayment.  But the best option is being able to put the permanent roof in place. 

Not knowing exactly what your plans consist for the 2nd floor it is hard to determine to what point you can finish the 1st floor.  Electrical, water, sewage and etc..  You will have to make these expandable for the future to incorporate the 2nd floor.  That would mean that insulation could not be placed in the cavities that the utilities pass through unless they are already stubbed off above the second floor.  Not much you can do about electrical unless you want to have a bunch of junction boxes on your second floor. 

Bob S.

Have you checked out -- AlandRobins 20x30 near lake Eufaula, Ok--? Thay are living in a home that is very near to this scenario and seem to be quite happy.

Bob

MushCreek

Are you subject to permits and inspections? If so, it's probably against the rules, although you may get away with it. My permit states (in bold type) that it is illegal to use a building for any purpose until you get a Certificate of Occupancy. If you ask the building department, do NOT use your real name or location, otherwise you've just telegraphed your intent if you want to do it on the sly.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

C.Oden

He states in first sentence hes not subject to any code/inspections so probably safe from that stand point.
I've seen it done here in country - and we have pretty heavy snow falls.
I've always wondered how it works out and wish I would have asked

Don_P

You can get some degree of weathertight but the moment you try to jump up and frame the second floor walls and roof you're wide open again till the roof is dry. I'd beat the bushes looking for an unused camper you can borrow. I've built quite a few houses while living in a camper in the yard, I've had a helper in a cabin tent as well. You're talking about a homebreaker, ring check before taking that step, everyone needs to be 100% on board, it'll be tough  ;)

pocono_couple

wow,  lots of good points in response to your question!    i agree that, as soon as you begin building the second story,  you are opening up  your home to all sorts of weather..   better to finish the framing and just close off the second floor till you are ready to finish it.. 

that being said,  i did observe some folks in NH who poured a foundation for a walk out basement,  capped the foundation off and lived in the basement for a year..   wood stove and all..      jt

Ndrmyr

Before the days of easy credit, we were forced to be more creative, and this is an example.  Of course it is possible, and there is much to be said of it.  It will improve your cash flow, and, your constant presence will probably help you get more work done.  That being said, you have to assume, that as an amateur, it will take you 3 times as long to finish than you expect.  (DAMHIKT)  Make maximum use of the seasons, move in, in the spring to allow the most time before winter comes.  Have a back-up plan.  If winter comes or torrential rains come where can you go? Relative?  Motel weekly rental?  Where will you store and secure your possessions?  Is theft a possibility?  Will your family feel secure? 
Living in your structure may impede your progress.  More stuff to move around, and attempting to pre-maturely finish a part first may lead to challenges with electric, plumbing etc.
If your finances permitted, I suspect a used travel trailer or mobile home would be a better option. But, can it work?  Sure, if you address the potential issues and plan accordingly.
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

Steve_B

Quote from: Rob_O on February 09, 2013, 11:49:25 AM
Boat wrap

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/materials/bow-roof-shed-40559.html

THAT is a very good idea right here, and inexpensive too! Half way through that post, it lead to this link

https://dr-shrink.com/products-page/premium-shrink-wrap-material/

A roll of 22' x 100' is only $180 and $53 for shipping.... that torch thingy is at harbor freight for $20

With the osb second floor sheathing and the 6ml boat wrap heated and shrink wrapped, I would call that waterproofed!

This may be the way to go if indeed we go this route

Steve_B

Thank you to all for the insight and different viewpoints to this... some I already thought of and some that were not thought of

The objective here is that we just squeeze by every month with paying all the bills and rent here, so the quicker we move in, the quicker we finish it completely!

The realization for me now is if there is not a "drastic" step taken by us here, that the house will in fact never be finished at all because the funds are not there to put in it!

Moving into the first floor would provide a rent free life which would immediately give us $1275 a month to invest in the building of the house. Couple that with a few cutbacks and changes in our way of life, and we will easily save hundreds more every month.

It will be more of a camping feeling living there, but we have our sights set on the goal that WILL be in reach by doing this and giving up a normal life short term!

I have looked into a trailer to live in, but anything that is at least fair quality and large enough is several thousand dollars.... remember we live in SC where people just don't throw away campers, they keep them forever

We have always been a very close family and enjoyed a smaller space at home, so we hope it carries over here

Security wise, the first floor would have all windows installed permanently and front door and back patio door in as well.... couple this with a very large saint bernard and a very large coon hound, and I highly doubt someone would stick an arm through any window trying to break in.

The bathroom will be fully working.... the electricity would be an issue.... a genny is possible, but would be running pretty much 24/7..... a temp pole would be better, but then a planned install by a licensed electrician would need to be paid for ahead of moving in....

Perhaps a genny with agreed upon set running hours ONLY..... say maybe 10am till 10pm??? The fridge would stay could not being opened all night, and we would just need to learn to use the time to our advantage while we are live

Cooking could be done with an outdoor propane grill and a electric grill, microwave, and hot plate indoors

Living in this will be the greatest challenge of our lives, but look at what it would give us in a short amount of time.... no rent or mortgage, a greater quality of life for my wife and kids, and a future we can actually be happy about!

Living the way we are now is just living on borrowed time in terms of money.... if I were to lose my job or become disabled, life as we know it would be over with no savings or money... we would have to be taken in by family to be able to live

We will make it work, we have to!

Erin

Around here, it's a common process to dry in the basement, move in then build the rest of the house up over top of themselves. 
Consequently, I've seen a LOT of basement houses that have been that way for 20 years...
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

CjAl

i am living on site in a $3500 motorhome. we have no power as of now and have been here three weeks. we are having power put in but basicly its just because we are in southern tx and not having ac is not an option and would have to run the generator 24/7. our 6500 watt onan burns 1.3 gallons per hour under load according to the manual. plus its a 1978 and even with low hours it requires maintenance since it has a points ignition.

you can do a lot with creative 12volt power. lots of 12v led options that draw almost no power. two deep cycle batteries and essentially the only thing we run the generator for is for my wife to use tue blow dryer and curling iron in the morning and an hour in the evening to charge the batteries back up. fridge is lp so is the water heater and stove. we dont need much heat here but if we do we run a lil buddy lp space heater with the vents open. many of the rv functions could be adopted. refridgeration is a tough one if you dont have an lp fridge though. there is some 12v options but they drain the batteries fast.

i have been thinking.of adding 100 or 200 watt solar panel to the batteries but will prob just hold out for power now

Rob_O

Quote from: Steve_B on February 09, 2013, 01:32:11 PM

THAT is a very good idea right here, and inexpensive too!

They use the stuff to make long-term temporary repairs to damaged or missing roofs after storms... it's designed to do exactly what you want to do... and cheap too!  ;)
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Don_P

Balloon frame the shell with 16'er's and double plates top and bottom, you're at 16'6" height, a 2 story empty box. An  8" raised bottom chord truss get's you back to 8' ceilings with a slight tray effect at the edges. Sheath the roof and wrap in Tytanium. Install the floor, stairs, etc later. I'd put in a few joists or their equivalent for ties during the interim.

Steve_B

At first, when typing in this post, I thought most would think I was crazy or out of my mind...

Going by the replies here, it seems this, or at least some form of this is widely accepted and goes on

To those who have lived through this, are there any tips or tricks you have learned with everyday life during this time?

Looking back, was it fun, or was it a nightmare??

flyingvan

Nah---it's just that 'crazy' loves company.

Here's a list of stuff I started, and there were some great ad-ins from the group.  Please ad to it too as you go--

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11843.msg152146#msg152146
Find what you love and let it kill you.