20 X 36 1 1/2 story in north Georgia

Started by C.White, June 17, 2007, 01:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CWhite

Hi Sab,

The upstairs floor plan is one big room with a 10 X 10 bathroom off in the rear corner.  There is a doorway through the bathroom into the storage room (the area above the downstairs addition that is the main bedroom).  I also have a large closet between the bathroom and the stairwell that brings that wall aside the stairs all the way up to the ceiling.  I made the walls 4 feet tall upstairs and the ceiling height up there is 14 feet.  Painting it right now is a bit of a struggle, but it will be worth it to me. 

I will be building Scandinavian style box beds upstairs to use as guest accommodations for my children when they come home. 

The 20 foot width of the house is very cozy feeling, and is all usable space.  This is a downsizing for me and my husband.  I want to quit acquiring more, and do will less and be able to clean the house easier.  When I get the furniture in there (about 7 weeks from now I hope) the design will make more sense to my entire family. 

I love the 10 foot ceilings in the downstairs with all of the big windows.  The windows in my bedroom will be a flood of morning light each morning, and won't be appealing at all to those who enjoy sleeping in, but I'm very much a "up at dawn" kind of person.  About 20 feet from the bedroom windows is the fence for my horses, and they stand and peak in the window while I'm in there working now, so I'm sure they will be there waiting for breakfast when I'm living in there.   

I have yet to see how my concrete floors will be for me.  I received a free sample from a company here in GA to test the color I want to use...lawn green from Kemiko.  I will try it out today and tomorrow (2 day process) to see if it will do.  If we don't care for the concrete, then we will probably tile the downstairs ourselves later on. 

My plan is 20 X 36 feet, so with that extra footage on the length, I have room for the stairwell, and the hallway behind it, which acts to make the bathroom and bedroom doors more private from the entrance. 

I'll take more photos this weekend when the paint is done.  We start the trim on Tuesday, and it will be a bit unusual as well. 

Thanks for the comments, and good luck with yours. 
Christina

glenn kangiser

Our studio apartment area has a morning sun window with an Oak tree outside, Christina -- it's great to wake up to the morning sun there. 

A family friend stayed here a couple months ago and really liked it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CWhite

A few bits of progress here.  We have painted all of the interior walls, and tested a sample of the concrete floor with the lawn green acid etch solution. 

The woman who helped me over the phone, said she had never seen anyone use "just" the green for an entire floor.  That made me even more nervous, so she generously sent a small amount of it, enough for a 4' X 4' area, to try it out.  She told me that marinas use a combination of green with blue on top of it for a water-like appearance in their showrooms, but green is not common. 
When I asked her what the most common color is, she said "cola", hands down, used about 80% of the time. 

When we used the green on the floor, I put it underneath the staircase so if it was really bad, I wouldn't have to see it.  The concentrated acid is mixed half and half with water, is applied once, then after it dries, is applied again.  Later, when it's completely dry, you clean off all of the dried up white stuff that comes to the surface, and then you put the finish on it.  It is apparent what the finished floor will look like when it is wet again, while you are cleaning it. 

We have chosen to put a two part, water based, epoxy finish on it instead of wax or acrylic sealer, because we have big dogs with toe nails, and a big nasty bird with a cage, and she needs to be cleaned up after a good bit.   It will be applied with a lint free short fleece roller.    We plan on doing the whole floor this weekend. 

I loaded a few new pictures to my snapfish.com album. 

thanks for looking
Christina

Sassy

Looks very nice, Christina!  I'm looking forward to seeing your floor  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

CWhite

We had another lesson in "never done this before" this weekend. 

The acid staining process is a little different than we expected, after what we experienced when testing it on a small patch last week. 

I went to the local distributer about 1 1/2 hour drive from here to pick up the "hazardous material" to save on shipping, and watched the DIY lesson that she had there on video.  Well, it looked easy and not intimidating, but after she got my check, and was loading it into my truck with me, she mentioned that the optimum temperature of the slab should be 74 degrees...  That was funny.  It probably won't be that temperature until mid-August. 

As I really want to live in my house in less than two months, we decided to ignore the professional advice and forge on with what temperatures we have.

The pictures are posted on my snapfish.com album...link at bottom of message. 

We only got through 2 coats this weekend...probably due to the colder temperatures, but I'll continue tomorrow and put on a recommended third coat for richer color.  When it is dry, I'll spend a couple of days getting it clean again before we apply the epoxy finish next weekend. 

The results are undetermined as of yet, but the glimpses we get of the effect when it is first wet looks promising so far.  It will be a high gloss finish that should hold up to just about anything.

Christina

ScottA

I guess it's a little late now but why couldn't you have put some heat on in the house to get up to the desired temp? BTW your house looks great.

CWhite

I am confident that the floor treatment is working regardless of the chilly air.  We had tested it the weekend before in very similar conditions. 

Also, the concrete slab is so large,  and extends outside onto the porches, that even with heat inside the building for 24 hours, which is all of the warning I had to prepare after the suggestion about temperature mattering, it will take weeks to raise its temperature.   

We were also faced with time schedules, deadlines, and time to actually work on the house.   This process had to be done this weekend. 

Thanks for looking.  I like the house very much. 
Christina

williet

I looked at the new pictures...The follrs are looking pretty good. Keek us up dated...I'm looking forward to seeing the finished color.

CWhite

Now that the floors are at least stained, we've moved on to working on the interior trim.  The wood stove is installed to help warm the place up while we work now too.  It starts to look like home now. 

We are going to hold off until it warms a bit before applying the epoxy finish to the floors.  This morning, it was in the low 20's and snowed in a very minor way. 

A few more pictures were added....the stove, and some of the unusual trim for windows.  The style originates from Swedish farm houses. 

Christina

ScottA

Can't wait to see how you trim that curved window.  ??? My best friend has that same woodstove in his house.  [cool]

Redoverfarm

Christina I think the floor will turn out OK.  You probably made a wise move by delaying the finish coat until warm weather.  But you might consider laying something over it to protect it until you can seal it.  At least in the foot travel area. 

I have seen that style of stove before and they will probably adequately heat the area.  If you are burning it now I think I would use some of my scrap metal(roofing) to place against the wall until you can stone or put something a little fire retardant behind it permenently. 

Seems like your project is going 10 fold to mine.  Keep up the good work and keep the progress report flowing. 

My elbow is giving me fits today so I am going to take a day off. The temp is 10F and without heat it is very uncomfortable working on the cabin.  I did manage to get the Kitchen ceiling/ loft floor in this past week and started on the bedroom/loft yesterday. Got to get some heat in there but by that time the temps will probably warm up. Didn't get above 28F yesterday

CWhite

Hi Redoverfarm,

I have more of the rosin paper protecting the path of traffic just like you thought would be good.  It just makes sense.  At this stage, I think the floor finish could get scratched. 

The stove is placed well over 20 inches from everything around it, and completely heats the house already.  I got back there this morning and started the fire about 8:30, and by 9:30, it was very comfortable inside.  Good insulation helps.  :)  It was 22 degrees here this morning, but the sun is up and it's predicted to warm up into the 40's today. 

The doors came this morning.  Some of them might be installed by the end of today, so I'll post pictures of them.  They are flat panel solid wood, and I'm so glad I went with them.  They suit the style of the house perfectly.  I've purposely used blunt cuts in all of the trim instead of bevels and t he doors have that same appearance.  After 19 years of framing pictures, I am not fond of bevel angles at all, so the blunt cut joints compliment the space and weight of the wood. 

The trim is left over cypress we're ripping to make it the widths needed. 

It sounds like you got a lot done on your place too.  I'll look for your new pictures.
Remember, I have a lot of help working on mine that I have to pay for!   You're doing it the way I wish I could.  My bills are a lot higher. 
Christina

Redoverfarm

Quote from: CWhite on February 28, 2008, 11:02:03 AM
I've purposely used blunt cuts in all of the trim instead of bevels and t he doors have that same appearance.  After 19 years of framing pictures, I am not fond of bevel angles at all, so the blunt cut joints compliment the space and weight of the wood. 

It sounds like you got a lot done on your place too.  I'll look for your new pictures.
Remember, I have a lot of help working on mine that I have to pay for!   You're doing it the way I wish I could.  My bills are a lot higher. 
Christina

For one I HATE to frame pictures.  I am better at not so much detail. I guess with the right equipment it might not be so bad.

As for the trim work in the cabin I too will go for the box look as most of the older homes/cabins were nothing fancy. Alot easier to work with too.  I just have been debating on the finish of the trim as it will be contrasting with the logs on the log portion.  I might even go with the same stain that is on the outside sofits and Board & Batten as that is about the closest that matches the logs. 

Speaking of the stove. Maybe you have stated previously what your treatment is going to be for the hearth and surround.  If you haven't then the cultured stone IMO would be the best suited.  It is very easy to install and the prep work is fairly easy. Need any advice on it I have done my fair share.

As for my pics I haven't done anything that you would be able to recongnize other than a old board floor.  Basicly that is what the loft floors will look like, Sort of goes with the setting.  I am debating on whether I should include a recepticle and cable box on the flue upstairs.  It will be rock also as the chimney downstairs.  It seems like everyone is going for the "flat screen" over the fireplace look.  Won't be quite the same but similar.  I could easily hide the wire under the stone and make the box a shallow and then make my own plate out of the cultured stone so it would not be seen.

williet

Pictures look great. We're looking forward to seeing more.....

CWhite

The pictures are not that great  yet, but I added more images to my snapfish album of the trim.  We have almost finished it.  The base boards aren't in everywhere downstairs yet, but the windows are done. 

It sure makes a big difference!  It's starting to look civilized. 
We haven't put the epoxy on the floors  yet due to scheduling....not sure when we will right now.  soon.

Next week, I hope to have the stair rails started, and get the light fixtures and plumbing fixtures into a starting stage. 

Christina

Sassy

Very, very nice, Christina!  I'm anxious to see your floor when you get that finished!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

deertracks

Christina...
Everything looks great. The large porch is one of my favorite things.... and the really large room upstairs with those beautiful windows. You will enjoy every minute of living there!!! Thanks for sharing with all of us.

John Raabe

Very nice job! I'll just add a teaser photo gleaned from the Snapfish album so that readers can get an idea of Christina's project without signing up at Snapfish.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Ailsa C. Ek

That is a gorgeous place.  And really inspiring too.

CWhite

Thanks for posting the pic, John. 
I added some more carvings this week.  We had some challenges trimming out the quarter round windows, because the curve didn't quite come out of a 12" wide board.  I carved 2 little birds that measure 4" square to go in the upper corners, similar to a rondel placement that worked out well. 

We also started installing the light fixtures, but we're all getting old, and the electrician had to stop and go to the chiropractor, because he was in pain.....some situations just can't be helped and take days.

The list is getting shorter now, but still seems pages long until we get to move in. 

Meanwhile, I've planted some broccoli, and rhubarb in the garden, and poked the sugar snap pea, and salad green seeds into the ground.  The chickens are a hazard to everything, but so far, it's all still there. 

Christina

williet

Those are nice carvings. I'm looking at the Flexcut tools now. Maybe someday I can carve something for my very own house...LOL

With this economy....It might not be the right time for us to start building...but your house is wonderful and all the special little things you all are doing really show up.

Great job!

Thanks for all the pictures.

Redoverfarm

Christinia

Looking real good. Won't be long now.  I am sure you are anxious to get in there. Is your carving done by hand?

CWhite

Hi WillieT, the economy worries us too.  I think it is wise to consider, but I don't want to live without a house much longer so our choice was not really about time, but about housing, yes or no? 

If you do decide to carve, consider other brands of carving tools as well.  I use Pheil Swiss made that are available at Woodcraft.  I have tried flexcut and don't care for them, but I know other carvers who like them.  It depends on the style of carving you do.  I carve relief work almost entirely.  The long handled mallet tools are my favorite.  Quality tools last for generations and getting the best is worth it like any tool.

Redoverfarm, yes I carve by hand unless I rough out a larger piece with my chainsaw, but that's not as often.  The relief work is all done by hand. 

Christina