20x30 1 1/2 story in Northern PA

Started by peteh2833, August 24, 2007, 05:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharbin

Thanks Pete. That is very nice from you

peteh2833

Redoverfarm, I got a price from a local supplier for the Titanium Underlayment, $143 a roll which covers 1000 Sq feet or 10 squares. Considering that #30 felt is $25 a roll and I would need 5 rolls for $125. It sounds like I will be useing the Titanium Underlayment. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

A quick question. Should I use the ridge cap/vent for the metal roof or just use a cap and vent the gable ends. Does anyone have an opinion? Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

Redoverfarm

Pete they make a perforrated seal for the ridge cap to act as a vent.  Not sure how "cobra" vent would work under the ridge cap.

peteh2833

When I got the price for the metal roof it included the ridge cap with the vent. I'll probably just use what they have. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

Got alot done this weekend. My brother in law helped me on Saturday and Sunday and my Dad helped on Sunday and Monday. It was great to have alittle help. We got all the rafters up, the plywood on the roof, the gable end walls built and the gable over hangs half built. Almost dried in. Here are a couple pics. Pete

Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

glenn kangiser

Always nice to see something that wasn't there before.  Something especially enjoyable about walking those boards on the attic joists.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

peteh2833

Thanks. It went really well. Everything was square and that made it much easier. I was told when I started to make sure you start square and level and it will make things easier later. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

PA-Builder

With what you've accomplished this weekend, getting it closed in for winter won't be any problem. That should be a big relief. 

peteh2833

Ya. I'm excited. We got a lot done with just a 2 man crew on Saturday and a 3 man crew on Sunday Afternoon. Next I''m going to cover the roof with some Titanium Felt until I decided on a roof material. I know how to shingle but have never done a metal roof. Then I'll cover both gable end walls, wrap the camp in Typar, do the sofit and facia, and move the woodstove in so I can work on it this winter. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

Quote from: peteh2833 on October 14, 2008, 03:15:46 PM
I know how to shingle but have never done a metal roof.

One big difference I found is the lack of traction on a metal roof.  :o  Use lots of screws... sometimes that's the thing that's keeps your feet from sliding out from under you.  ;D

Metal goes quick if you know what you're doing, or once you learn.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peteh2833

That was one of the things I was thinking about. With a 12/12 pitch it would be nice to have the snow slide right off but if I needed to get up there to do anything it would be more difficult. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

glenn kangiser

At least it won't be often - I like the steep roof.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

With a 12/12 won't most snow slide off anything you put up there?

Also keep in mind that snow needs a place to land; preferably not on your head.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Here is a post I had made previously about metal roofing.  You might pick up on a few things that might prove worth while.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4810.msg59670#msg59670

Once you get the roof on you might as well forget about standing on it. With that pitch it is impossible.  If you ever had to climb on the roof just buy a couple pairs of roof jacks and use one screw you already have in your roof for one hole and then add another screw for the other hole. Then once you have made your repair or for what ever reason you were up there replace both screws with new ones. 

I think the semi-concealed are a patent by "Lifetite" as other metal distributors don't have them.  You can google to them and find the dealer in Kenna,WV I am sure they will ship to you.

Another thing. If you haven't had a metal roof before forget about gutters UNLESS you use snow birds as the snow will tear them off without them.

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on October 14, 2008, 08:35:11 PM
Another thing. If you haven't had a metal roof before forget about gutters UNLESS you use snow birds as the snow will tear them off without them.

Excellent point John! That's why our cabin will have no gutters. My neighbor put one on and found it in a tangle after the first winter.

peteh2833

I planned on No Gutters. To many leaves to glog them up and too much snow. Much better without. I have stone all the way around the camp so it will help.
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

sharbin

Great job Pete. I envy you :-)

I finished my ceiling as well last weekend, and now is the roof's turn. However, I think I will be hiring someone to do it for me. :-(

What lumber did you use for the Rafters and ridge board?

Sharbin

peteh2833

The ridge board is 2 2x10x16's and the rafters are 2x8's. It wasn't too bad. We set the front ridge board and test fit our template rafter and then cut and installed the front 16 rafters. Then we set the back ridge board and cut and installed the back 16 rafters. It wasn't too bad. The harder part was lugging all the OSB onto the roof to sheeth it. I hope to be doing the roof here in the next 2 weeks and get it all dried in for winter. Thanks for the feedback Sharbin. You got any new pics of your place?? I'll keep you posted. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

sharbin

I will be posting my progess shortly  :).
When you said 2 2x10x16, did you mean that you used double lumber for the ridge board or you meant the first half and the second half of the ridge board?

Thanks,

Sharbin

peteh2833

Sorry, I used 1 2x10x16 for each end. Not doubled up lumber. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

peteh2833

Well, I'm heading up tonight instead of this weekend since it is going to rain here all weekend. I'm going to get the Titanium Felt on the roof and I'll try to get the Gable ends closed in so that it will be dried in for the rain this weekend. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow. I have to come home tomorrow night since I have to work Friday. I was lucky to get tomorrow off. Next weekend will be finishing the sofit and facia and then shingling the roof. Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

MountainDon

ScottA

You're getting close but a little rain won't kill it. Looking good so far.  [cool]