Breakin Ground

Started by StinkerBell, April 15, 2008, 04:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

We are actually putting up a building.....
We decided to have a two story metal building put up.
The shell will be built by a builder. We will do all the other work, including the inner up stairs framing.
It is a 36 x 36 building.

Homegrown Tomatoes

cool beans, stink.  Is it to live in, a barn, or what?

My dad built his house... he's a steel construction worker and built a three bay garage and a 26' by 36' addition to their house out of random scraps from his last several jobs.  I thought building it on the house was a little nuts at first, but it is a really cool addition, and turned out to look really nice, too. (That is, after someone helped him match the paint on the roof... he is color blind and had painted half of it green and about half of it red.)

StinkerBell

We plan to make the whole upstairs our living area. Also have a large laundry/bathroom downstairs and a office. The rest of the downstairs will be the garage. its costing about 20.00 a sq foot for them to build. But we will need to do all the insulation, electrical, plumbing and any inner walls we want to divide the upstairs. Oh yes and we will need to put a slab in too. Cool thing is, we do not have to do any out side painting...whoo hoo!

MountainDon

No outside painting... VERY NICE. I don't like painting, especially second stories.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

MtDon,

It is not the fall that scares me, its the hitting the ground that terrifies me.

peternap

Quote from: StinkerBell on April 15, 2008, 05:46:51 PM
MtDon,

It is not the fall that scares me, its the hitting the ground that terrifies me.

No one lives forever! :)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

Redoverfarm

Yeah but Don you do such a fine job at it. ;)

glenn kangiser

Sounds great, Stink.  When do we start?  Photos of the complete process, please. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

indeed!

I forgot to implement my rule....

I have in the pass implemented the rule that butt crack is not allowed.

This one guy who did our concrete was so entertained by my demand he decided to have some fun. He wore a pair of painters bib pants/farmers pants. Of course with those straps going up and over the shoulder you can see anything....he wore no shirt under it and informed me he had no undies on. He pointed out that I can't see his crack but now I know he ain't wearing anything under his pants. The he laughed most of the afternoon at me. Gotta admit that was funny and very cheeky.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Redoverfarm

ScottA

I always wondered this...is it duct tape or duck tape?  ???

MountainDon

The tape is officially called DUCT tape.

There is a company called DUCK Products and even they call their tape DUCT tape.
http://www.duckproducts.com/
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

That pic is my worse fear!

[scared]

BiggKidd

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 16, 2008, 04:50:07 PM
Get some duct tape.

I wonder wether they used duck tape or duct tape. Duct tape is much higher quality than duck tape.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

MountainDon

I feel the real question should be, "Why?".

glenn kangiser

I have seen real "Duck" tape also -- even called "Duck" tape.

Hey Stink -- remember Fred? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Fred, name sounds familiar......

glenn kangiser

muldoon

Quote from: StinkerBell on April 15, 2008, 04:04:42 PM
We are actually putting up a building.....
We decided to have a two story metal building put up.
The shell will be built by a builder. We will do all the other work, including the inner up stairs framing.
It is a 36 x 36 building.

congratulations strinkerbell, that's awesome.  We are looking at doing a similar thing and still trying to decide what makes the most sense as well.  Are you planning any roof extensions?  Not to distract from the crack discussion but I am curious, what is your plan for plumbing/septic/drains? 

For context, we are looking at 24'x24' metal building with a 24'x30' extension all under a single gable.  That gives a 24x54 slab with only half of it "boxed" in but all of it under a single roof.  We plan to do all interior and finish work as well.  I am still trying to work out some of the planning and details and would like to hear how you guys are thinking of approaching it. 

glenn kangiser

We used to take a building and move the endwall to the inside then put the rigid frame outside to have the open area.  Endwalls are only made to support half a span so for snow load you would need to double up the support columns to make it strong enough for the center in place of the rigid frame - from an engineering stand point.

You would need some extra framing, calculating and probably field welding but we did do it.

StinkerBell

I will try to get NetHog in here to explain it in a clear vocabulary. I tend to call thing doohickies and thingofmcbobers. NetHog has this wonderful husband ability to interpret my language. Plus he has his engineer background and speaks like 7 different geek languages.

[cool]

NetHog

:confused

Stink said to come in here and "explain"

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to explain?

Stink's fear of buttcrack?

glenn kangiser

That would do for a start. [crz]