How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Mid 50s today --a week of sun coming with mid 50s to 61 on Tues.  Lows 31 to 38.

It was sunny to hazy -occl low cloud (some call it fog) today.  I went prospecting a bit --found a little gold -- about a 1/8 inch skinny nugget and a few pieces.  Still a little work to do this weekend for Monday delivery but have to prospect in the nice weather. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Daddymem

In a T-shirt choppin wood yesterday, Nor'eastah tonight.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Homegrown Tomatoes

It's been relatively warm, albeit gloomy here.  However, this morning was decidedly colder.  DH went for an on-site interview, and now it is snowing like crazy, so I hope he is careful driving back tonight! 

Drew

It looks like it wants to be nice all week (Mid-50s and clear).  Perfect trench digging weather!

StinkerBell

Just started to snow here, not sticking, but it getting dark and cold so I suspect it will stick soon.

tanya

We had some sun and wind today.  Now it is snowing again.  I have lots of snow like the pics mark posted.  It looks like I will be shoveling again tomorrow.  I am not shoveling the stuff falling off hte roof either it is ice about half way up and that will be a job for my son.  I don't mind the shoveling but I am not aout to go out and break ice all day long. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

lonelytree

-9 this AM. 0 Degrees now. Cold for 2 days. Tomorrow it is supposed to warm up.

MountainDon

Forecast 19 F low overnight, 46 F high. Mostly sunny. 36 F right now. 38% humidity. 30.39"

Typical high desert NM weather for this time of year.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Currently it is 20F with snow showers. Approximately 1" accum overnight. Forecast is 1-4" today with temps dropping by this evening to 10-15F.  Last year my construction stopped on the 19th of January. Looks like this may be a repeat. I hope not. :( .  Before the roads get to bad I am going to venture into town and try to get this excuse for head hair cut back a little. Also going to drop off a neighbor's generator that died (this fall)to a local lawn mower shop to go over and hopefully get it running again. No hurry because the neighbor pull stakes(December 1st) at his summer home and will not need it till spring. He is off grid and doesn't stay there in the winter because of the weather(road is 6 miles off the main with no snow removal). c*

tanya

Today it was pretty chilly out but the sun was shining and that is nice.  It is clear out and the weather report calls for 9 degrees so I am putting in lots of wood. 

Drew

Overcast, cool, but dry.  Come on, baby!  Just stay dry for the work at the farm and you can rain like Noah's busy season all week!

Redoverfarm

Wind, blowing snow most of the day. Accum thusfar is 2" with 1-4" pred the rest of the evening. Temp had a high of 22F. Managed to get a 6' utility door installed. Wasn't bad as I had the generator inside the basement which heated it up nicely until it came time to install the door.

Sassy

I was down in the valley until a couple hours ago - yesterday was nice, sunny - 50's maybe low 60's...  :)
Today it was socked in fog all day - foggy all the way up to the road that takes us to our place in Mariposa  :P
As I was driving up our private drive onto the ridge of the mountain, I looked out at the horizon, sun had just gone down but enough light & color to view the sea of clouds covering the valley - looked like a huge ocean - I was very glad I wasn't in that anymore! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

Wow! Tonight the weather guys say it could dip as low as 10 degrees F!  [shocked] 
That would be a record low for the day. And a high of 31 tomorrow. 29 F right now, 13%, 29.99"

No precip tho', just cold
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

williet

We're having our FIRST snow of the year!!!! ;D

The media heads are already talking about shutting down the roads and the need to buy milk and bread.....It's 40 deg.,nothing is sticking.....and ...it's not going to get any colder, BUT....folks here can't live in this winter mess!

More wrecks than you can shake a stick at ..... They say SNOW here and people ram their cars together for some reason.

It is very pretty and will all be gone in a couple of hours.

tanya

This morning when I got up it was 5 below zero!!! IT warmed up pretty nice withthe sun out and now the storm clouds are coming in so I think it will stay relatively warm but I am supposed to go to pick up a friend about three hours away tomorrow over snowy mountain passes and I am not really feeling up to it so I think I might jsut leave her there for another day or two.  I think I have the flu or strep throat again.   I sure am not up to driving/traveling feeling like this, especially in a big storm. 

Redoverfarm

IT'S HERE. Started snowing about 0630 and has been steady ever since with about 1" plus since then. Pred are 4-8" before it is all said and done.  Nice thing about snow is the temps are usually not that low when it snows. Kids are home from school today because of the incoming weather forecast and snow. So I guess I will put on my black and white stripped shirt, grab the whistle and clean out the penalty box. ;D

Redoverfarm

"How the weather".  See for yourself. This has only been going on for a couple of hours now. Seems like about 1" an hour.  Can't keep the boy inside as he want's to plow the driveway. Will wait until it is about over or the total accumulation gets more than the 4 wheeler will handle.  Of course I could do it with the tractor but that would take all the fun out of it for him.

The truck was clean before this hit. Well not clean. It hasn't been that all summer but it didn't have any snow on it.  The pictures don't do it justice. I mean the snow and how much is coming down now.  A look at the front of the house towards the road (500 ft) and the main road is just barely visible.

Homegrown Tomatoes

So far, it is above freezing this morning.  Yesterday was pretty nice.  We're supposed to get some bad weather before the weekend, though, and I'm really dreading Saturday's high only being in the single digits.  Our house is hard to keep warm in 20-degree weather, let alone single digits.  It means not opening the blinds/curtains on the entire north wall all day to try to keep it warmer, and that also means feeling like you're in a box.  Most of our windows face north because it is the best view from our house, regardless of how stupid it was to build a house with  a lot of north-facing windows in Wisconsin.  Well, while it is above freezing, it isn't warm enough that the dog's water has completely thawed out (he stayed out last night as it didn't get very cold... he is happier that way) so I'd best get out there with the teakettle to thaw it out.

John_C

I was going to show you folks that it does indeed snow here in GA., but I slept in and it was about melted when I ventured outside.  It's probably just enough colder over at Christina's place that the snow stayed on the ground.

MountainDon

I saw the snow on TV John

Overnight it dropped to 9 F here at the house and -9 F in the mountains. Brrr.

Sunny though, 622 watts/m2 here at home and 596 in the mtns, measured between noon and 1 PM

tanya

Well it never did snow again but it is only 8 degrees out now so I am putting off the chores untilthe sun comes out which wont be very long now.  I am feeling much better i keep forgeting the hay gives me hay fever even in the winter!!! So even though I am not totally over it I am not going to get anyone else sick or get even sicker on the road.  I am looking forward tot he trip but I don't like leaving the house for very long in this cold weather so I hope the car doesn't break down.   And where the ice is too think (about 8 inches) on the roof the ceiling is leaking so I have to get that ice off of there ASAP I am lucky the leak is right over the kitchen sink though. 

Redoverfarm

Well I think the major portion of this front is passing as we ended up with about 6" in 6 hours. Yeah he has already mounted the 4 wheeler and my driveway is getting cleaned even as we speak.  Give a kid a motor and a steering wheel and you will see them no more. ;)

Redoverfarm

Me and my son took off toward the cabin. He on the 4 wheeler and me on the tractor. It took 2 hours for a round trip of plowing the road. From the house it is only 2 miles (1-1/2 of plowing) Maybe it will get a little warmer the next couple of day.Not!. In fact it is suppose to drop to around zero on Sat & Sun.  At least they will not be able to track down the snow as bad and I might be able to get there next week.  Last year I had to stop work on 1/19 it looks like it is about the same this year. Maybe with this little effort I can get another week or two in.

Homegrown Tomatoes

It is cold, though not as cold as i expected today.  Mid-20s so far, and it started out windy and sunny, but it has settled down a bit and gotten cloudier... started snowing a few minutes ago... really fine and heavy snow.