14x24 1 story in Northern Arkansas

Started by Taylor, November 21, 2008, 08:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

I have a Jeep also - old and worn out but goes up the hills when the battery stays up.  Cherokee Chief 1981
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Taylor

Thanks Sassy.
I didn't do to much today, had an oil leak to fix on the jeep and the floor was still sticky feeling but all dry now. I still took a picture of my progress I made a couple of trips to lowes and now the inside my shed/house looks like this:

I got all my stuff to build the walls, or at least I hope so. You can see my threshold for my garage door in the picture there.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

I have a couple of questions maybe you all can help. Can I install my wall insulation before I put my siding up, I will have my everything in housewrap? And I just wanted to make sure that I need to block the seams on my sheathing.

Thanks

Taylor

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Taylor on December 07, 2008, 06:25:21 PM
I have a couple of questions maybe you all can help. Can I install my wall insulation before I put my siding up, I will have my everything in housewrap? And I just wanted to make sure that I need to block the seams on my sheathing.

Thanks

Taylor

You want to wait until you have it dried in so to speak.  That means no possibly chance for rain to penetrate the interior. That would mean a roof, windows and doors.   In addition you will need to wire and plumb so if any of that needs to be done to the exterior walls it should be done first.  If you installed the insulation and it would get wet you could end up with a bad problem.  You just need to cut your insulation to length above and below the blocks.  You don't necessarily have to have the attic/and or loft insulated but it is usually done about the same time.

Taylor

Thanks Redoverfarm. That is what I was thinking.

Taylor

Taylor

My wife and I got a lot done, almost got all the walls framed up ran out of nails for the nail gun and it is going to rain tomorrow so I am going to put the sheathing up after the rain. I took a lot more pictures today so here you all go:

Thanks

Taylor

Jochen

Thanks for the pics. Looking good. [cool] But one question pops up for me. Any special reason why you haven't put the siding on before you lifted the walls in place? At least the bottom row? I found it easier that way and it helps to square the walls.

Jochen

Taylor

Thanks Jochen. When we built the shed we put the sheathing on the walls before lifting them and they where real heavy and took a few of us to lift them. It was just me and my wife today and it was windy so it was easier to lift without the sheathing. I am going to nail or screw a board on side of the joist and just set the sheathing on to help get it up there because I will probably be doing it myself. I tried bracing the walls up pretty square and I will double check it before I put the sheathing on.

Thanks

Taylor

soomb

With the headers over the doors and windows: I see on the french door opening you have the 2x10?s and a 2x4 under but not in the others is that based on the span?  Are you headers to be insulated in the center?

Looks good.
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

Taylor

Yeah the big opening is for a 6' sliding patio door, and the headers are 2x10s. I did put the 2x4s on it because the longer span and it helped make sure the header was even around the edges, don't know if it was needed or not. I didn't think it was necessary on the 3' openings. I don't have plans for the house just building it out of my head, but I did two years studying as a mechanical engineer in college so I hopes that helps me. The headers have 7/16 osb in the middle, so no insulation.

Thanks

Taylor

soomb

NM_Shooter

I am getting homesick looking at your pictures!  I miss northern Arkansas a lot.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Taylor

I got the last wall framed up today between rain showers supposed to be snowing this evening and it is 63 degrees out right now. It is supposed to be cold but sunny tomorrow so I am going to get the sheathing up and it is not supposed to rain again until Sunday, so I hope to get the roof framed up. Here are some more pictures and the reason there isn't a window in the one wall, I am going to put a fence up or plant a hedge to block sound and the view from over there.

Thanks

Taylor

soomb

Are the two shorter walls going to be window free?

Taylor

That is right, I going to going to have cabinets, refrigerator, and stove on one of the walls. On the other wall that faces the neighbors will be tv and I am thinking of built in book cases or something like that.

Thanks

Taylor   

Taylor

I did a little work today but not much, it was too wet/slick and cold for me today, going to be a lot nicer tomorrow and my wife is off work so I will have a helper. Plus the nail gun is starting to kill my arm. It sleeted last night so I spent about a hour trying to scrape it off. I got 3 sheets of osb on, almost one whole wall, lol

Here is a pictures of what it looked like before I cleaned the sleet/snow:

After I cleaned and hung osb:

Taylor

Jochen

Looking good. [cool] From where do you get the morning sun?

Jochen

Taylor

Thanks Jochen.
The front of the house, where the door and windows are faces east, so that is the side that will get the morning sun.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

Today's progress: got most of the sheathing up, even though it was pretty windy. Going to get some lumber tomorrow to starting making some rafters going with a 7/12 roof to match the shed I am adding on too. I bought a new ladder, it one of those multi use, but I needed something taller than my little step ladder to get the rafters up.

Here are some pictures

Thanks

Taylor

Redoverfarm

Taylor making good progress.  Since you are converting the shed to a residence then I guess you will need a place to store your ladder when you are done.  Let me know ;D

On a serious note I used a set of the folding ladders that he had.  Was an older set of Heavy duty that pivoted in three places.  Was lost when he had to have them back.

I think I would offset the seams on the top piece of sheeting to gain more strength.

Are you going to double the top plate? 

Just my $.02 worth

Taylor

Lol, I am going to use the trailer I live in now for my storage until I build another shed, which is going to much smaller this time. I got the ladder at walmart, I think it is a cosco brand or something like that and has a lifetime warranty, it is a 17' extension, and 7.5' step ladder. I was going to get a 8' step ladder and it was $95 and this one was $109, so I got it in stead and hope it comes in handy when it is time to do siding since it can be used as scaffolding.
I have an older ladder that is kinda the same, it has a pivot in the middle and two more pivots between the middle and sides, it is handy to fold two legs down and put a board on it and it makes a good table, but I don't like using it as a ladder.

Taylor 

Taylor

I got a question about ridge board size. I am going to 2x6 rafters and 2x8 ceiling joist, so I was wondering if it matters what size ridge board I go with I was thinking of going with 2x6 since it won't be really support anything.

Thanks

Taylor

Taylor

And yes I am going to double up the top plate, that is on my list with putting up sheathing. I figured I would do it after the sheathing since I had braces nailed on the top to help hold the walls square and plumb.

Thanks

Taylor

MountainDon

The usual thing with a 2x6 rafter is to use a 2x8. Actually it's not just usual, in some places it's code to use the next biggest size for the ridge board. It gives a better bearing surface against the full face of the rafter end.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.