Paslode nailers?

Started by 2zwudz, December 26, 2010, 10:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

What is your opinion of a paslode 900420 framing nailer to be used in the framing of a cabin? How is it compared to the paslode 902200?
Thanks
Mark

MountainDon

My only comment is that I read that Paslode has redesigned the fuel cartridge for its newer models like the 902200, and the old ones do not fit. As well I read that they only sell the new fuel cell packaged with nails.  :o ??? I can't stand things like that!  Seems like a dirty trick to make you buy their nails. I'd check that out to see if it is true if my heart was set on owning one.

I should say that I own Senco ans Bostitch and use their own nails all the time as I found zero misfeeds with the Senco and their nails and the Bostitch is more reliable with their own nails as well. I just don't like being forced into things.

I like the idea of not being tied to an air compressor with a hose, though.   :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cabinfever

I'll say this: There is no tool that I got more use out of or was more thankful for. Worth every penny. Not sure which model I have, but I bought it about 2 years ago, so I'm sure you're looking at a newer one.

Only one complaint: It occasionally decided to stop working for no reason I could identify. Usually letting it sit for about 30 minutes did the trick, but still a little annoying.

2zwudz

Cabinfever
Actually I just bought the older model today. It is a brand new one that is a left over. I haven't received it yet but I am looking forward to using it. I have a air powered framing nailer but was concerned about hauling the compressor and all that hose to the job site. We have about 4" of snow where the cabin is located and its been cold and I dont feel like messing with the compressor and air nailer freezing up on me.
Thanks for the reply
Mark

considerations

I think Paslodes are ok, but they seemed kind of slow sometimes to be ready to stick in the next nail...for certain apps that can be ok, but the way some framers work, it would slow them down. 

duncanshannon

Hmmm. I'm dreaming of a cabin in 5-10 years thinking about projects around home to get geared up.  (trim some windows, re-side a bit, basement finish, build a deck, build a shed [10x12 small house] etc).

I'm starting to think about tools.  One one hand I have a friend who works for dewalt and I may be able to get some form of a deal. On the other hand, the Paslode tools seem very interesting. Reviews tend to be great.

My question is... if I've got nothing today, and I think I need a framing and a finishing nailer (at least), why wouldn't I go for the paslode cordless... and skip the pnuematic tools and compressor.    I wouldnt need a compressor if I had cordless nailers, right?

Seems like the individual gun cost is higher... but no hoses, no compressor etc.

thoughts?

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

duncanshannon

Hmm. Doing some reading and im now thinking i need a Brad Nailer too (for baseboard, window trim etc, right?)

So.... quick shopping on amazon:

Paslode Framing (CF325 902200) : $320 (28% off)
Paslode Angled 16 gauge Finishing (900600): $305
Paslode Brad 18 gauge (901000): $245

Total: $870

This list is somewhat randomly chosen... they all had decent ratings and were well ranked at amazon, but i have no idea if they are good or bad...

Hitachi E43 4,300-Watt 8 HP Portable Generator Powered By Honda: $1600 (%18 off)
DEWALT D55146 4-1/2-Gallon 200-PSI Hand Carry Compressor with Wheels: $350 (50% off)
Hitachi NR90AEPR 3-1/2-Inch Full-Head Framing Strip Nailer: $195 (50% off)
Hitachi NT50AE2 18-Gauge 5/8-Inch to 2-Inch Brad Nailer: $60 (60% off)
Hitachi NT65MA4 15 Gauge Angle Finish Nailer: $150 (50% off)
Hoses etc....

$400 for nailers, $350 for compressor and $400-2000 for generator.... $750 + generator.

It looks like the question is... do you buy a generator or not.  I dont have any concrete plans for a cabin yet, so I cant answer the when will power be in question. I would expect to be on-grid.'

ok... enough of that. time for bed.
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 

considerations

Just my observation, but to me it seemed like Paslode nail guns are slow compared to the kind that hook up to a compressor.  Always waiting for the next nail.  The nail guns running off a compressor fire as often as you pull the trigger.  Great when you are framing. 

Maybe a Paslode would be ok if one were working on a project when carefully targeting where each nail goes uses the time necessary for the nailer to be ready to fire.   

MountainDon

Slow cycling could be a blessing if one is careless.

You'd only shoot one nail into your thigh ( hand or wherever) instead of a couple of fast ones....    ;D

I like my compressor driven guns.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

davidj

There are a lot of situations when you might need a generator, other than for a compressor, even if most of your tools are battery-powered:

- table saw
- compound miter saw
- heavy-duty circular saw work (e.g. ripping wet 2x material)
- non-trivial grinder work
- concrete mixer
- concrete vibrator
- charging batteries!

Personally I haven't used my compressor for much other than nailing (although it's good for blowing out dust and a cheap impact wrench worked well for some big lag screws).

duncanshannon

thanks all...  i guess i kinda hijacked the thread  :-\

i think davidj had the point that really ends the discussion for me. I was thining that with batter powered sawzall, drills etc, that I wouldn't need a generator. Thinking about it a bit more, I think the generator is inevetable (or at least very reasonable) so to go the pnuemactic route seems to make sense.

Using amazon.com as a guide, their "bestselling" (and highly rated) nailers seem to be hitachi.  the ratings on their LiOn tools seem to be very good too.  I'm thinking i have some hitachi nailers and other power tools in my future.  First one is prob. a brad nailer (currently on sale for $61) to finish some trim work in my home.

rdzone

Just my 2 cents.  I did all of my framing with cordless nailers one paslode and one hitachi.  I liked them both. Never any real problems with the paslode and it is much easier than hauling around a gun and air hose.  However as others have said it is not as fast to recycle for the next shot.  I did blow up the hitachi in the cold weather (-15).  I think the valve must have gotten stuck and when I pulled the trigger plastic went every where.  It was after my warranty was up.  I called and email hitachi and they had me send it in.  They were very concerned.  They sent it back repaired at no cost and it works fine.

As far as a generator goes, until last year the only gen set I had at the cabin was a honda 2000 watt.  It has been great.  I haul it back and forth with me.  Last year a friend of mine loaned me a older gen set 5000 watt which has worked out great. Now I can run more than one tool at a time.  
Chuck