12x16 Phase1

Started by Abbynrml, January 23, 2009, 08:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbynrml

Went to the property this weekend and spent some more time clearing.
Did not get anything done to the shed this time.
Still looking and thinking about the siding options.
Any suggestions?

Don_P

Look's like the perfect setup for B&B, board and batten. You have plenty of horizontal "girts" to nail to. Usually its done with 1x10's or 1x8's with 1x2 or 1x3 battens over the vertical joints.
Another variation is board and board, I like it with 1x10 boards with a 6"gap and 1x8 "battens". Fill the gap with 1x4's cut to 6" long where you are going to nail the 1x8.

Redoverfarm

I agree with Don on the B&B.  I used 1X8 w/ 1X2 batten strips which I beveled the outer edge.  You might want to wrap the outside to protect your support lumber before installing the B&B if you go that route.

Abbynrml

I have 3 1/2 rolls of 15 lb roofing paper for the wrap.
Looked at the siding materials prices and think that all of it is too much $.
Ouch that stuffs all high priced. Maybe I will just use CDX plywood.
I can put the 1x2 strips at 12" and it will look like the board and batten.
Then apply alot of paint.

ScottA

Paint's not all that cheap. I spent $200 painting a shed that i thought i was saving money on by using t1-11. Your idea will work fine if you use and exterior rated plywood. We have a museum here in town that did that for a board and batten look and it sill looks good over 30 years later.

Beavers

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with Abbynrml.  I was thinking of doing the same fake board and batten look with the plywood and 1x2's. 

Using 1x for the whole thing does ad up to a LOT of money! 

I wish I had a pic of the outfitter lodge I saw in northern Minnesota.  They used the log siding stuff for the bottom 3-4 foot and then plywood with 1x2 battens above that.  It wasn't painted, and actually looked VERY cool.  Looked a lot more high dollar than what I'm guessing it cost.  [cool]

Beavers

I managed to find a couple of pics of the lodge online.

Here's the exterior showing the log siding and the plywood B@B look.

Here's a closer photo of the B@B plywood look.  Pretty damn cool IMO!  [cool] [cool] [cool]

new land owner

I like the board and a Batten that I did the gable ends of my screen house with.

I bought the 10" wide broads for $.60 per foot.

Makes for a low cost siding.

Abbynrml

New land owner:
I really like your screen house. It is looking really nice! The board and batten looks great too. All of it does. You should be proud!

Beavers:
That is what I was thinking of. I wonder if I could even use the osb board? It is about half of the price of the plywood.

ScottA:
I agree, good paint is not cheap. And I believe thats about the only thing I wont try and cut costs on. A couple of coats of good paint will be required. hmmm, maybe I can find some on craigslist, lol.

Redoverfarm and Don_P:
Thanks for the board and batten input. Good idea. :)

Redoverfarm

Abbynrml if there was one product that I WOULD NOT put on the exterior that would be OSB.  It will not stand up exposed to the elements whether it is painted or not.  They do make a new product that imitates the old pressboard but has a moisture barrier but I believe it will be expensive as well.  I think it is something similar to this

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=55897-132-27874&lpage=none

Abbynrml

OK, thanks Redoverfarm. I was afraid the osb may not hold up well. I appreciate your honesty.
Went up today and got the double door frame finished and cleared more around the shed. There is about a 30 foot area cleared all the way around now.

MushCreek

I built a quick 'n dirty shed at my old house about 25 years ago, with 2X2 framing, and OSB. It was uglier than a bus load of mother-in-laws, but it's still standing! That being said, I wouldn't use it on anything other than a temporary building, or unless you were able to cover it with siding at a later date.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Abbynrml

Went today and got the rafter tails on. Next time I'll do the facia and maybe frame and hang the single door. Didn't get much done in the heat.

Abbynrml

Another heat advisory....decided not to go this weekend. Its just too hot to get much done. The heat index is forecasted to be 106. A long weekend coming up soon, I hope to get more done then. Hopefully it will be a bit cooler.

Abbynrml

It was a bit cooler after all today. Still got hot but I stayed at it for 8 hrs.
Got the west side tar papered and siding attched. Need to add more nails but my arm gave out on me. Did start with deck screws and the nailing with 6D ring shanks every foot.

Abbynrml

Great weekend. Spent saturday night and finished the siding on 3 sides now.
Primer is next, then I'll finish the siding on the porch side. Want to get the plywood primed next weekend.

Abbynrml

Strange weather, we went from extreme drought to flooding. The whole area is under flood watch. Cant prime the wood in the rain. Looks like there has been at least 3 inches of rain in 24 hrs at the shed. More to come today. And raining there right now.
And a coworker has tested positive for the flu, and I think I got it now also. Needless to say I'm not going to get anything done this weekend. Oh well, we needed the rain badly, and I need to get over this before working on the shed. Hopefully next weekend will be better.  :(

mountainmomma

got the H1N1?! hope you feel better soon.

Abbynrml

Thank you for the well wishes. It must have helped. I am feeling a bit better today. Still sick, but better.
As for the h1n1, maybe it was. I did get an urge to go roll in the mud after all the rain last weekend.  :D ok, just kidding.

Abbynrml

Got the 3 sides completely sided-sheathed. Put on 2 coats of primer. And got the door hung. We had over 5 inches of rain last weekend, the plywood got wet and warped some. I am going to get a box of deck screws and pull it all down flat again. My dad and I really knocked it out, we got alot done, I'm beat!

Arizona Highlander

Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

Abbynrml

I'm about ready to attempt to finish the gable vents.
Got galv hardware cloth, metal window screen, pressure treated 1X4's, staples and screws. Wish me luck. Its a new area for me.  ???

Abbynrml

The gable vents are in and primed. Added screen to the windows.
Also added a big box of screws to pull down the siding.
The old drill is still smoking.
Looks better now.  :)

speedfunk

very cool!   [cool]

I've checked the pics through your various stages?  sorry if this has been asked but are you insulating?

Abbynrml

I have a lot of foam to install on the ceiling, but for now the walls only have 2xs and tar paper.
Hope to add insulation there later. For now, I'm still trying to get the outside done.
I can do the inside after it gets cold and rainy this winter.