30x40 Earth Berm Passive Solar in Maine

Started by Bishopknight, October 13, 2008, 09:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog

Your girlfriend looks exactly like you!  ::) This has to be a match made in heaven!!  ;)

Love the new window. It's really nice and it looks like you conquered that ice.  [cool]
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Bishopknight

When we got there yesterday, Grace and I spent about 3 hrs installing the door lockset. ( only $28 at lowes, clearance, normally $140 ) I probably took it apart 3-4 times because these locks are so complex now. Even though it took me a while, I'm glad I took my time on it. Its real annoying when a door job is rushed, you regret it. 

I bent my floor scraper I was breaking ice so hard with it. I should bring it back to Lowes and tell them its defective  ;D

I might just be getting too strong, I ripped the pull start cord off the generator too. I've put on 20 lbs since last year, (185lbs now) most of that is probably blubber from working in the cold  ;D

Dog

Bent the floor scraper... [waiting] wow... can't believe that happened. That thing looked like such a great idea in the beginning of the ice melting project...

Sorry. I can't help myself sometimes.

Grace...you must be a very special women!  d* 

Bishopknight

Not many women are willing or able to pick up a hammer. At least, not many I know.  ;D

Grace is always willing to help or learn something new. She helped work on the 12x16 cabin as well and did some painting, shingling, taping & bedding and light framing. Shes also very supportive of what I'm trying to accomplish. That's pretty important too  :D

Mike 870

For some reaon I only get one of your pictures. 

llamaman

MountainDon

Yes, BK, Reply #273 is only showing one image even though there are 4 image links.

This is the one I see... same for you others?

I shrunk this one.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I only saw one also but went to the link of your friend and pulled it up.  I right clicked and pulled up properties then copied and retrieved all the photos.  But I would say when I exit the thread they will disappear.

BK will you have to put jam extensions on the doors?  It looks like a narrower jam than the wall thickness. I had to do that the other day on an interior door. Jam was for a 4-1/2" and I had to make it for a 7" wall.  Used biscuits to extend.  Too much lumber to just finish nail the extension on.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bishopknight

I'll fix the pics tonight.

I just realized I made a mistake on the in-slab plumbing. There is no W&O ( Waste and Overflow ) pipe for the tub. There is just a waste, no overflow pipe.....but there is one possible work around. I can route the overflow into one of the pipe vents about 2 ft away but I still need to have a trap or else I'll have fumes once the trap water evaporates.

Does anyone know of a heart-valve type of trap for situations where the trap could dry out like in this situation?

EcoHeliGuy

you might have to just raise the tub? is it built in or a stand alone like a claw foot?

glenn kangiser

I assume you brought the drain straight up to the bottom of the tub drain?  Couldn't you just break out the concrete - chisel a ditch to the overflow and tee it into the drain?  An air chisel would work - About $6 at Harbor Freight.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dog

Bishopknight

weekend update

i took friday off and went up to do some work.

I built an 8x8 work bench out of 2x10 cement pour footers and leftover 5/8 advantech sheathing.

Then hung a shop light over it and organized all the scrap wood into heavy duty plastic bins.

I layed plates for the office room because it was difficult to size without a stationary base.

A shot of the initial wall in place. I used the speed square at the 3/12 pitch angle to cut all the tops. I made sure sides were level and the french door Rough Opening was square and level as well.

Heres the next side, sized, then assembled on the ground. I cheated on one corner so I didnt have to cut a 2x4x 10'er. It was difficult dragging it 15 ft to the wall location by myself.

Applied 2 bags of SBC to another wall since the house was nice and warm. I'm waiting to see how this comes out before applying any more. If I have to, I'll wait till its warmer to apply but continue framing by leaving off the stud that lays flat against the block wall.

Last night I started assembling the bar/coat closet. This is as far as I got.

HomeschoolMom

BK, I am so excited for you!!!! :D ;D You are doing a great job!  I wish I was in the position to get started.
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

glenn kangiser

Bishopknight

Thanks Michelle and Glenn!

To those considering my type of project, If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't recommend block walls. I would've gone with poured walls. SBC is a pain to work with. Very labor intensive and temperature sensitive.

Rob Roys book makes it sound easy to work with. Its not.

Dog

Now that you have lots of great inside shelter and the whether is getting better maybe consider an "SCB Party" in a few weeks. Invite your friends up, make an outdoor fire, bring lots of good music and food and go to town. You'll have it done in no time and I bet it would be fun!

It's exciting seeing the walls going up! Looks great!

HomeschoolMom

Quote from: Bishopknight on February 23, 2009, 12:28:46 PM
To those considering my type of project, If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't recommend block walls. I would've gone with poured walls. SBC is a pain to work with. Very labor intensive and temperature sensitive.

Rob Roys book makes it sound easy to work with. Its not.

That is good to know.  I was leaning to poured walls anyway but now I don't feel lazy about it  :) 
Michelle

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

llamaman

Im guessing you did some cost comparison between SBC and poured walls before you started.
As soon as I get my blue prints I plan on getting some estimates but I have to think that there is a big price difference.   I was planing on 12" block and SBC.
And you would not do it again.  Very interesting.  Im going to have to think real hard on this one. ???
To tell the truth the thought of lifting all them heavy blocks was already starting to hurt my old body ;D.    Thanks for sharing

speedfunk

Intresting that you didn't care for the dry stack.  It was my favorite part of building our firstday.  Stacking blocks is nice and simple. It kind of reminded me of building with legos.  While I know that pouring would be easier, it was much more expensive.  I don't remember but just for the forms we were over a grand for our 16 x 30 .  So i'm sure that's why rob roy mentions it.  It is for the DIYer, or b/c you were trying to beat the winter it might have fit better?   I'll admit the parging was a little bit of work and a bit messy, but overall I really like the finished product enough were the textures give the wall a bit of humaness that concrete sometimes lack.  Oh also no noisey generataor or power tools ( I really enjoy this) as the later part of the firstday was banging on pine and listening to a generator non stop and trying to block out the sound with a contractor radio listening to the worst top 40 songs possible.   It's looking great !!.... I know how hard working through winter is. 

take care,

Bishopknight

Interior Framing Part 2:

New half moon window.

The interior as you walkin

Living Room

Master bedroom

Master closet. Note: I took the linens extra overhead space and added it. 

Custom bend for pantry

HomeschoolMom

You boys got a lot done this weekend...again, so excited for you! :)
Michelle

glenn kangiser

You are really moving along.  What's up with the skidder? :)

Bishopknight

Just getting some trees cut by a local logger. Hes doing a good job. I wont get much for the wood but it will give me a view of the mountains and open up my land

Best of all he keeps my driveway plowed. We got that 24" of snow last sunday night which he came in and took care of at no time or cost expense to me. Its nice to drive down on a friday night and pull right up to your house  ;)