Frazoo's 16x28 Build n VA

Started by frazoo, February 23, 2010, 10:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabinfever

I bet the progress feels good! Enjoy where you're at - like everything else, you'll soon find you've been enjoying the place for 20 years and you'll wonder where the time went!

ChuckinVa

Frazoo,
I'm curious why you aren't staggering your block from the corner out?      [__][__][__][__]
                                                                                                [__][__][__][__][__]
                                                                                                   [__][__][__][__][__]
Looks like you have some excellent help!

CHUCK

ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

frazoo

CabinFever, that is so true!  Hope you don't mind, I am borrowing some of your design ideas for our little place.  Yours looks great!

ChuckinVA, It's early life will be as a pier foundation, then evolving into a laid block foundation after it is dried in.  I (we) wanted a solid foundation with a particular look we had noticed in a foundation we saw years ago.  The pier columns will stand proud of the wall foundation by an inch or two, giving the foundation more than just a straight across face (hope I explained that so it can be visualized somewhat?).

Dan
...use a bigger hammer

Redoverfarm

You might have considered playing rebar pieces in the joint to later tie into your surround.  If you are stepping back the perimeter wall from the post they could be held to the inside rather than the outside to compensate that offset.  I guess they will appear as a architectural corner.  Although current expenses play a part in " do it now or do it later" but it would be much easier to lay the foundation wall up now rather than trying to work with a building overhead.  Sort of like building a ship in a bottle.

ChuckinVa

I can visualize what you are saying. I just had seen the footer and thought you were going to continue the foundation wall. I would definitely be easier to complete the foundation wall now before you build a house over it plus would protect your utilities from the start. But I understand wanting to keep costs down. Every time I turn around I find something else I need to do at the house. Looks good so far. Keep the pictures coming !
CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Don_P

What you are describing sounds like a pier and curtain wall foundation. If you're interested it is described in chapter 4 of the codebook;
https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Virginia/Residential/Res-Frameset.html

frazoo

Redover and Chuck, your point on ease of installation before a house is in place is noted.  Redover, I can still extend the reinforcements (rebar) out of the corner piers as the concrete pour only extends up 1.5 blocks in height right now, I'll just have to drill a few holes in the joints, then set the steel in place and finish the pour (thanks for that suggestion).  I DO like buidling ships in a bottle! ;D

DonP, thanks for that link, it's appreciated and now bookmarked under my favorites.

Dan
...use a bigger hammer

frazoo

Starting tomorrow, got the next 7 days off work, will try to hit the piers and complete them this week before winter sets in.  If I can get the concrete work done, I should be able to keep working throughout most of the winter on framing, if it is not a bad winter like last winter here.

I am considering "modifying my floorplans to a 18' wide by 28" long design.  I am using 2x12's for my floor joists.  Can I (by code in VA) cantilever a foot on each side to give me the 18' width vs the 16' original plan?  I've looked in the link DonP provided for me but I can make sense of the charts provided (i'll be gracious with myself and call it old-timer's disease).

thanks for any hlep.

frazoo

dislexic too!
...use a bigger hammer

Don_P

Sure, you can cantilever the foot. Here's two ways. The cantilever table is in chapter 5, table 502.3.3(1). You can also cantilever the depth of the joist being used anytime, load is considered to move at a 45 degree angle without trouble. Don't forget to always block between joists over the girder when you do a cantilever... think about how the joist is trying to squirrel around with load on that outboard end, the blocking forces them to stay upright.

Same deal here, we're hoping to get concrete work done before it gets rough. Farmer's almanac says this one won't be as bad as last. A pessimist is right more often than an optimist but we might as well go in with high hopes  :D

frazoo

Been a long while since I was here (or the build site for that matter!)  Had to take care of some health issues, then the heat kicked in here, so things are slooowww right now.  I just finished my change order drawings for the building inspectors office and sent them for approval to do the 18' width cantilevered as mentioned in my last post.

Quick question regarding cantilevering and deflection.  With the weight of the walls out beyond the fulcrum that the girder provides, would the "springiness" in the middle of the unsupported floor be reduced somewhat?  Just curious.

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

Don_P

Welcome back  :)
reading my last post and remembering freezing my tail off... I think the pessimists were right  :D
If it helps my farmer's almanac is predicting a cooler than normal summer... I can't wait  [cool]

Yes the cantilever will help dampen the main span. For this cantilever it wouldn't be noticeable I'd bet.

OlJarhead

Nothing better then a family building project!  Great start and I look forward to following your build :)  [cool]

frazoo

I bought the generator over a year ago (I think), finally took it out of the box today, added oil and gas, pulled the starter cord twice and it fired right up.  Let it run for 30 minutes no load.

Spent as much time on the road to the build site as we did building so we purchased the travel trailer so we can spend my two, three day weekends per month on site instead of on the road.

Even though I haven't been working on the cottage, I have been building furniture for it.  I'll post some pics in the next few days.

thanks for the welcome back guys.

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

Sassy

Hope all is ok w/your health!  Good to see you back.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

frazoo

I built three of the end/bedside tables and the small three drawer dresser for my daughter.  The tiger striped cherry came out very nice, I think.

Currently working on a pie safe with punched tin front.

Building inspectors office was fast, I received the approval for my change order from 16 x 28 to 18 x 28 yesterday.

frazoo

Edit:  thanks for asking Sassy, much improved!
...use a bigger hammer

Don_P

[cool] Beautiful wood and workmanship!

Mike 870

Wow, beautiful grain patterns.  Love the contrasting tones.

Sassy

Really nice job on the table & dresser - love the tiger wood grain! 

Glad you are feeling better  :)

duncanshannon

Welcome back! Great looking furniture - clearly you've done this stuff before!
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

frazoo

Went to property this weekend to finish up piers only to find they had been vandalized  :(.  Two were torn out, could have been worse I guess. Trying to figure out what's next. Oh well...,

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

Tickhill

Sounds like it's time for a couple of well placed/hidden trail cameras. I had a friend who had to buy a camper and move it to where he was building his house and he actually slept there each night until the house was framed. Sorry to hear about this.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Sassy

How upsetting  >:(  Sorry you had to go through something like that...   :(

frazoo

deleted
...use a bigger hammer