Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phalynx

Walls painted, ceiling painted (needs to be touched up), floor down.  Next is hooking up all of the electrical.  That shouldn't be too difficult.  I seem to have done it about 15 times before now..

Yes, the pictures are dark.  The walls are a dark brown/green and there are no real lights in there yet.  So its a camera lighting problem currently.

ScottA

phalynx

d* Not big enough.  :(  But with fog!!!   coooooooool.

phalynx

Some updated images.  Starting trim work which I really do poorly :( 

Wife liked the floor in the man cave so much, we decided to install it in the kitchen in the house.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

We did a little work on the bar tonight.  One of my better construction efforts.  I think its turning out pretty nice.

Pine Cone

ScottA

OkieJohn2

Yessir, the bar is looking really good.......so far....BUT...IMHO, where is the brass foot rail, the big ol' basket of salted in the shell peanuts(and of course ya throw the shells on the floor), and most of all.....Where is the big ol' nekkid lady picture????
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

phalynx

In time, in time...  All in the plans......  Except the nekkid lady pic.....  Dunno about that one.  I have kids and although it is a man cave, someone has to clean it!!!!  d*

OkieJohn2

Well, in that case, the dogs playing poker would also look good, expecially if you can find the painted on velvet version. :D
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

phalynx

Today's project....  The back deck for Mother's Day....

OkieJohn2

I was wondering if a couple of items you used were custom, or "Texas special" items, the leaded glass front door and the craftsmen styled "Texas Star design". By the way, have you ever visited the Jesse Winchester house, I'm just asking ;)

phalynx

Winchester House,,,, no never got to tour it.  I drove by it.  I think it should be model of what I could do if I keep going....

Redoverfarm

Hows things in Texas.  Have you ran out of room yet? ;D

phalynx

Texas is "ok".  We are currently fixing/finishing the place up so we can sell it.  I need to build something new.   d*  That, and I will be moving.  We have figured out we want to move to Northern Idaho.  So, everything we are doing now is to get up there and maximize our sale of this place.  Hopefully, the labor will give us plenty of cash to buy land and build a new place.

Dallas2build

Quote from: phalynx on November 04, 2010, 09:33:02 PM
Texas is "ok". 

I'm sorry sir, but you are incorrect.  Oklahoma is ok.  Texas is great!  ;D

IronPatriotTN

All that work and now you're selling it??  :o

Wow, I could never do that. Least O don't think I could.  :(

John Raabe

Things change, opportunities arise and all learning accumulates...

Nice job on the current project an here's to a spectacular next one!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

phalynx

So, things do change.  We attempted to find another place to move to but it just doesn't make financial sense.  So, we are staying here.. :)  I know, I know.  I reserve the right to change my mind again.....   d*

Now, I have a problem forming on my home.  My posts are starting to lean on one end of my house.  1 corner has shifted/angled 3/4" and it's pair has shifted about 3/8".  The next post in line of the 3/4" one hasn't moved much, only about 1/4" and the middle one is plumb.  On the 3/8" one, the next one is about 1/4" and the next one plumb.  

I need a plan of attack.  I have several hydraulic jacks (one air powered which I am in love with).  All of them are 12 ton jacks.  What does everyone think is the best way to a) shore it up b) correct it and c) keep it from happening again.  Let's use the Countryplans member's wealth of knowledge and get me happy again.  

The problem seems to have happened over the last year.  I have stared at it several times over the last year and thought I may be imagining things.  Now, I know otherwise.  I don't believe it is in serious danger at all but it will over the next year or so.  Better to fix now.

Here are some pictures.

This is the back one that is 3/4" out.  The post is also warping a little so it looks worse.  There is about 1/4" of warp on it.

This is the front one which is about 1/2" out.

fishpharmer

Great projects and great thread.  I just read through the whole thing, what an inspiration seeing all the projects done.

Thanks Phalynx!

Mad-Dax

Just to confirm ...all those extra buildings look like you just built them on the 16x16 pads.  Was any other piers/support placed under it or anything to "tie" it down?  Just wondering cause i did mine that way...just sitting on blocks.

phalynx

All of the other buildings are just sitting on the 16x16x4 blocks.  The sand below is almost rock hard if undisturbed.  So, far, nothing has moved much.  I have had 2 blocks sink a little but it was jacked up and shimmed.  No different than a mobile home except the "hurricane straps". 

Even the post shown in the picture above never actually moved.  It just warped.  Everything is solid.  It could be better I suppose.  If I used hurricane straps, it would be better but I figure not much will survive if the winds get that high anyway.  All the trees around here will fall over and do a ton of damage.

Mad-Dax

Thank You.  That is what I was thinking ....if a tornado come along with winds that strong it will make a mess no matter what.  Everything looks really good man!!!