Multi-phased 1 1/2 story home project in Austin, TX

Started by phalynx, February 11, 2007, 10:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

hmm Maybe I'm omnipotent...

I could keep a whole hive of bees busy... I have so much hair growing out of my ears, my earplugs won't go in tight... part of the reason for my hearing loss. [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

phalynx

Shave it all off, knit a sweater.  Then you can wear it in the winter and take it off in the summer.

Alasdair

Alasdair

Quote from: phalynx on June 21, 2009, 07:36:13 PM
Shave it all off, knit a sweater.  Then you can wear it in the winter and take it off in the summer.
Wouldn't that be an ear wig rather than a sweater?

glenn kangiser

Ear wax.... that would make for a sticky wicket.... I wonder if that is a Scottish expression... we never see wickets out here much... hmm

Ear wig... like this?

or this

I don't know about this, Al --- you're getting a bit too sharp for us... Is Anita coaching you? :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Alasdair

Wow! where did you find that picture of my uncle Harry Lugs?  :D

glenn kangiser

He was in Photobucket. I didn't realize anyone knew him. d*

phalynx

It looks like the gene pool needs chlorine....   d*

lil-bit

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 21, 2009, 06:54:42 PM
Please have your wife sign up... we need to talk... [waiting]
Ok Glenn, you got your wish here I am.

Redoverfarm

lil-bit my hats off to you with phalynx.  He needs another project.  The idle time is killing us. 

glenn kangiser

Quote from: lil-bit on June 21, 2009, 09:36:06 PM

That is so cool..... it's like my computer is a genie. hmm

I make my wish, tap my keyboard and out pops lil-bit.  :)

Now I think we may be able to get the big dude under control.... [waiting]

Great to have you on the forum, lil-bit...  w*

phalynx

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 21, 2009, 11:37:58 PM
Quote from: lil-bit on June 21, 2009, 09:36:06 PM

That is so cool..... it's like my computer is a genie.  ???

???

I wonder if your head was magical.  You are rubbing your head.  It may not be a magical keyboard...

She's online now.  You asked for it.

glenn kangiser

That is great, phalynx.  Our ratio of women to men on this forum is really lacking - we need more, and an occasional inside scoop is just a bonus.... :)

Rubbing my head... no, I'm thumping my head... [waiting]

Anything we can do to help, lil-bit, just let us know. ::)

lil-bit

Quote from: glenn kangiser on June 22, 2009, 11:42:38 PM
That is great, phalynx.  Our ratio of women to men on this forum is really lacking - we need more, and an occasional inside scoop is just a bonus.... :)

Rubbing my head... no, I'm thumping my head... [waiting]

Anything we can do to help, lil-bit, just let us know. ::)

Thanks Glenn, I may not post alot but now if I catch something I don't have to tell him I can just write it myself  :)

phalynx

glenn kangiser

Great, lil-bit.

I can hardly wait.... and I'm sure phalynx is enthused also... :)

Alasdair

w* Lil,
Nice work on the drywalling - will you be available to do some tape and filling in Cape Breton later this summer .....

;)
:D
Al

MelanieM

What are the dimensions of your house? What size did your downstairs rooms ultimately work out to be?  We are in the planning (dreaming) stage and I really like the idea of a downstairs master bedroom.

Thanks,
Melanie

phalynx

Quote from: MelanieM on June 24, 2009, 04:11:13 PM
What are the dimensions of your house? What size did your downstairs rooms ultimately work out to be?  We are in the planning (dreaming) stage and I really like the idea of a downstairs master bedroom.

Thanks,
Melanie

20x34 is the outside dimensions.  The master ended up 9' 6" x 10' 6".  The family room is about 14x19 and the kitchen is about 13x10.

phalynx

Latest edition to my home..   c*  Taking home brew to the next level.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

phalynx

Hehe,,,  Come on down Don.  Don't forget your beer stein!

germangirl

We too are dreaming about a 2 story universal and like a master downstairs. Do you have a queen size bed in the master? How is the size of the room working for you; would you prefer something a little larger? We don't want a big bedroom just room enought for a bed, bedside tables, room to walk around it and space for a built in wardrobe. After looking through your home building we've been wondering if we should do this ( add the bedroom off the main room and extend the length of the house) or add a bedroom off to the side like in the VC plan.  Beautiful home btw.
Thanks, Liesl

phalynx

Our master is 9.5' x 10.5' and we do have a Queen bed.  We went into this home with the understanding we weren't going to be using furniture in the bedrooms.  We were going to use built-ins.  This made a huge difference.  There is plenty of room to walk around the queen size bed but there is no furniture on the sides except night stands.  Our TV is mounted on the wall and everything else is kept in the closet in shelves.  I'd love a little bigger room but we built this house not for what we love but what we need. 

germangirl

Thanks for the information. I think that has been the hardest part for us in the planning stage is we too want just what we need and it's so easy to get carried away with little "extra's" and then all of a sudden you back up and realize how much extra space and costs those extra's take up ??? Living in Michigan with 4 kids we would love just a little more space in the laundry hall for the boots as right now one would kill themselves trying to get in our front door (kids just take the shoes off and leave them where they are) I would love to see a picture of your built in closet if you ever get the chance. Thank again for your quick reply and my husband like your newest addition to the home brew!
-Liesl