Finally pictures of our 20'x34' 2 story

Started by rdzone, May 03, 2006, 11:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdzone

Sassy,

just what we have done so far makes a huge difference in the inside temps.

My buddy is an electrician and talked my wife into the stair lights.  I lost that discussion, but they are pretty neat.   
Chuck

microage97

Looks Awesome. Do you have a running cost figure yet?

Dave

rdzone

Thanks for the positive comments.  It has been a large project to say the least.

I don't have a real good number, as I am afraid to add everything up.  I think if you look back in some of my older posts I have an approximate figure.  My wife and I disagree on how much I have spent d*

I need to update my pictures also.  I guess this weekend I will have a chance.  Everything is looking mighty pink now.  My wife and I have almost everything insulated, just have to do around the chimney and the upstairs bathroom.  I haven't finished roughing in the vent line and the bathroom fan yet, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.
Chuck

rdzone

Well finally had some time to run up to the cabin, not much work being done as we are trying to get my daughters mini cabin finished so we can use it as a base camp and not have to take the camper up every weekend.  We did get the alarm company up to prewire for and alarm system, now we can install the vapor barrier.   :)
Chuck

pocono_couple

I am curious to know what your plans are for the vapor barrier - what will you use, and will you just do the exterior walls or will you use a barrier on the ceilings as well?   i talked with my inspector last week  and he seemed to indicate that i should use a vapor barrier in the ceiling , but he left the decision up to me.. 

rdzone

Up here in Alaska vapor barrier is a must.  We will be installing 6 mil poly.  We also used energyblocks (http://www.energyblock.com) around all of the electrical boxes.  We just installed them last week, a pretty neat product helps seal around the boxes.
Chuck

rdzone

A couple of pictures of our cabin with our vapor barrier installed.  We finished the first floor and started the second floor and did some work on my daughters mini cabin too.

Chuck

rdzone

Sorry for no updates in a long time.  Progress has been slow due to cash flow.  I will post some more recent photos when I get a chance. Not a whole lot of noticable progess.  Working on insulation details, vapor barrier, cutting and chopping some trees that the high winds blew down.
Chuck

MelFol

I've been debating moisture barrier or not.  I've been concerned by several folks in SE who had mold problems with it. I see you consider it a must up there.

Also took note of the polystyrene electrical box enclosures. Hadn't seen those before. The price surprised me.

I could empathize with a lot of your build as I read the posts.  Especially about the roof being the roughtest portion. Doing ours on a 12/12 pitch was almost beyond my capability working alone.  My hat's off to you. Way to go. You you appear to be on the home stretch.

Did you do anything at the roof peak to keep bats out?

Redoverfarm

Maybe Dons post on Building Science Article will help you determining a vapor barrier

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10056.msg128564#msg128564

Not to step on rdzone's thread I can speak for myself in that I used hardware cloth(Batts & flying squirrels) over the ridge vent as well as window screen(bugs).  There is a gasket that will allow you to seal up the openings in the roofing if you are using metal roofing at the eve area as well as the gable ends.

MountainDon

Vapor barriers should be used everywhere except in areas of the SE USA. Also do not confuse a vapor barrier with an air barrier.

I'll dig up some references and post them later.  I'll look back and see if we have a dedicated topic in referral links.

ED: New topic will be placed in referral links later
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MelFol

I'll start a new thread on vapor barriers in the general section so we don't hijack this thread.

rdzone

MolFol,

I used screen to cover up the ridge vent to keep insects and bats out. Definately used 6mil Poly as a vapor barrier.  All the seams are taped and I sealed the top, bottom and around the windows with acoustical caulk. It is important to keep the warm moist air away from the cold walls not just to keep things warm, but to prevent mold.  It gest into the -30s at timse at the cabin. 

The energy blocks were pricey, but I think they have sealed things up extremely well. I think you could easily make something similar, but it would take more time, something I have little of. 

I hope to get more done this spring and summer, compared to last summer.  Only time will tell.  I will keep plugging along. 

Good luck with you project I look forward to more progress photos.
Chuck

NickSully

Great work so far! Can't wait to see the latest progress.  [cool]

rdzone

Thanks.  I have some pictures I need to post.  The first floor walls are mostly drywalled and we started the walls upstairs.  We are not drywalling the ceilings, using T&G pine.  I left the ceilings open for now still need to run plumbing supplies line and heat.
Chuck

oifmarine

Looks great!  I really want to see the finshed inside pictures, particularly the upper level.  How much head room are you going to have up there?

rdzone

Dang how time flies.  Still have pictures to post.  Seems like progress is slow, but we keep moving forward.  Several weeks ago we built and installed a remote meter base, and the underground cable up to the cabin.

My wife, daughter, friend and neighbor worked on the project.  My neighbor used his mini excavator to dig the trench (supposed to be 3' more like 5' deep) and set the meter base.  Once the trench was dug we (the rest of us) ran the cable and slid the conduit down the hill over the pre strung cable.  I was the one in the ditch, up to my shoulders, I should have had my neighbor use the bigger shovel as it was a tight squeeze for my big butt.  :)  Got the meter base set, trench dug, cable laid in conduit, the trench filled and everything nicely graded in 6 hours.  Did I mention it was 175'?  Not a bad bit of work.

Since then I finished wiring the meter base, and panel.  Another buddy wired some outlets and switches throughout the cabin no more generator.  [cool] 

This past weekend we finished the plumbing vent, only been waiting months to do that... :)  I cut the hole in  my beautiful metal roof and put the last piece of pipe in put the flashing boot on and sealed it up tight.  Good thing I got it done and it rained that night and the forcast is for rain all week. :(  Once that was done my wife, daughter and I worked on finishing up the insulation.  Now all I have to do is finish the vapor barrier and we can drywall!! 

Talked to my neighbor about doing the septic system, he bought a new tank from someone this winter whose project fell through.  Said it is mine for a $1000...good deal as the same tank from the company that builds them here in town is $1500 and I have to move it.  Feel like we are making some progress, hope to get the well pump in this summer too. Maybe even some heat.    :) My wife want this cabin done to the point we can enjoy it sooner rather than later.. [cool]
Chuck

redbird

What an awesome project.  I love this house plan!  What amazing work you have done.

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
― Woody Guthrie

rdzone

Thanks.  Only wish I could get it done, seems like a never ending project, but it has been a lot of fun and my wife and daughter have learned a lot about construction.   [cool]
Chuck

rdzone

All I can say is sorry I still need to post some pictures. 

The vapor barrier and all of the insulation on the 1st and 2nd floor is complete.

We are in various stages of drywall work throughout the cabin.

All of the walls have been drywalled on the first floor, but I haven't done the ceiling.  Still figuring out what I want to do for permanent heat, probably going to land on slant fin baseboard heat, instead of radiant floor, just so it can be done.  I also need to finish the plumbing before I close up the lid.

We continue to make progress hanging drywall on the 2nd floor.  My daughters room only needs another coat of mud.  We hung the drywall in the stairwell and hallway and started in our bathroom. Still need to hang rock in the Master Bedroom, then I will finish the mud.

This fall my neighbor installed my septic tank and leach field.  Additionally, I installed a toyo heater to keep the place warm.  I keep it set a 50 degrees and it works like a charm.  We ramp up the heat when we get there to 65 and start working.  What a difference from last year when the outside temp was -20 and the inside temp was -10ish.   LOL

Hopefully over the holidays I can continue to make progress.  We didn't get the well pump in, but we did buy the pump and pressure tank and are working on purchasing the smalller nuts and bolts, so we will be ready this spring.

Chuck

Redoverfarm

I hate to be a "Monday Morning Quarterback" but the professional way to hang the drywall is ceilings first then followed by the walls. It is a lot easier to hide the seam at the top.  When installing the ceilings last it is hard to get a good fit without a large joint.  Generally the factory edge of the wall sheets fits snuggly to the ceiling.  If doing horizontal sheets the bottom sheet also uses the factory edge to meet the upper sheet factory edge.  The bottom sheet if it has to be cut(normally does) then this is at the bottom so that the baseboard will cover.  If installing verticle try to make all sheets factory edges meet and leave the cut edge for corners.  Utilize the factory edges to tape as much as possible as it will be less noticable than a "butt " edge seam.  Well if it's too late so be it.  Maybe someone else will pick up on the post for their project.

rdzone

Thanks for the comments.

I have hung lots of drywall and understand what you are saying.  Usually I would rock the ceiling then the walls, but been trying to make progress where we can, so I hung all of the rock on the walls first before running the heat and plumbing (My buddy the plumber hasn't been available to help me finish). I do have the factory edges up, cuts on the bottom near the floor.

I haven't decided, but I will probably rock the ceiling and fire tape. Then the plan is for T&G pine on the ceiling. Don't worry it will look fine.    d*
Chuck

oifmarine

rdzone

Thanks.  Got to get off my butt and post some pictures.  The upstairs if almost completely drywalled, not taped but getting there.  Still have to run my plumbing supply lines, before I can finish drywalling downstairs, not to mention I need to haul in some more drywall.  We have had lots of snow and cold weather, which have hindered progress somewhat to difficult to haul in lots of supplies.   
Chuck

rdzone

All finally done!  (For the most part). Been slacking lots going on in my life, but thought I needed to post pictures of the final project.  Sorry for any repeat photos. 

Chuck