Cabin project in east washington

Started by diyfrank, November 22, 2008, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

Moving the brace up to the floor joist would be easy enough.  I get a head ache after awhile looking at these. You never seem to stop finding a better way.

I still have to get a 36" door so your right about eliminating the 3020
I have a 26" door with a window,but the paper work from the planer says 36"

I have more widows I could use. Do you think I'm at the max for all practical purpose's?

I'll use a heater buddy at first then,
Wood heat later on.

Home is where you make it

MountainDon

A 36" exterior door is more practical for moving things in and out anyways. That what I selected for our cabin.

To me it appears you have enough windows.

I don't recall if it was asked; any codes to be concerned with?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

BTW ,Thank for your input Don.

It will go through planning and inspection. Footing, Framing.
Its considered a rec. building.
Later on made into living space.

MountainDon

WA state has some of the stricter codes. You should see what your area is going to stick you with before working too hard on the plans. Ask what energy code you might have to meet; maybe what they call a rec building is exempt from some.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

brian_nj

energy codes are not that hard to meet if you are going to insulate. I do heat loss (manual J) calculations all the time and unless you are trying to do an unfinished structure they are usually approved. Some states are stricter but pretty much I have not found a state that 6" insulated walls do not meet code even with a 80% heating source. Now if an area allows lower than an 80% efficiency heating source there are generally no codes to deal with. Just my experience.
Our web site http://www.goldate.us/
Our Blog http://www.goldate.us/blog/

If more people took personal responsibility for themselves this country would not be in the mess it is.

diyfrank

I talked with the county planer last year and went over the details.  A rec. building doesn't need to meet much. A footing and framing inspection is required. He suggested building with a thought of energy codes and water/ power for the future. 2 inspections. 1 at the start and 1 at the end, but also says he may ok an inspection over the phone if he choses to.

I am interested in hearing what other builders have to say about this project.  Ive been in the industry for around 25 years but not as a framer.
I clear/ log, site prep, commercial / residential, install utilities, public works sewer / water etc.

All suggestion are welcomed.

I took the 3020 window out and change the 6030 to a 4036 in the bedroom.  I think it improved the look and probably added strength to the structure.

Redoverfarm

Frank if you were thinking of the window for ventilation you might see if you could find a door with a movable transom.  In addition to the extra light it would be a way to vent air in. Just an idea.

MountainDon

Quote from: diyfrank on December 18, 2008, 10:16:54 PM
A rec. building doesn't need to meet much. A footing and framing inspection is required. He suggested building with a thought of energy codes and water/ power for the future. 2 inspections. 1 at the start and 1 at the end, but also says he may ok an inspection over the phone if he choses to.

That's cool.

I used a program called ResChek to run the energy codes on our cabin. It can be found at www.energycodes.gov Unfortunately it doesn't do WA state.  ::) It is interesting to play around with though. You input data for wall, floor, ceiling insulation, size of windows and their type, glass, etc. In my high altitude location I found it next to impossible to meet the NM code without using high quality low-e windows. Aluminum frames would not cut it for the amount of window space we wanted.

diyfrank

Ventilation was a big part of the windows.

I was thinking with no real heat source, no air conditioning. The only way to regulate it would be with windows on all sides to let sun it or open them for across breeze.  It adds light in the areas that would need it most and I could use lanterns in the evening.
I was going to insulate it at my convenience. maybe in another year..

My goal from the start which sounds like a fairy tale was to build it using free material.

I have widows of certain sizes already and I was trying to work with them if possible.

The door could have a window as suggested for light.

I have a screen door that could be ventilation when needed.

The loft needs a 4036 for an exit I could put the 3020 from the entry up in the other gable end for light/ venting, if that make any sense.

Don,
I did download that insulation program you had posted on another thread. I'm not sure what I have for windows,they were given to me. 
I will probably need to by new to know their rating.

brian_nj

building on the cheep/free is doable depending on your time frame. Over the last year I have collected a ton of material that was going to be put into dumsters. Everything from 2x6's to a brand new stainless steel sink. Being I work in construction I seem to find stuff like this all the time. And man I think I have my electrical boxes and plumbing fittings covered. I have also gotten a couple of things off craiglist and freecycle, it amazes me what people just want to get rid of.
Our web site http://www.goldate.us/
Our Blog http://www.goldate.us/blog/

If more people took personal responsibility for themselves this country would not be in the mess it is.

diyfrank

I've been collecting wood windows and doors for awhile. I pretty much have that covered. I'm looking for a metal roof and a few things yet.

People, builders do toss a lot of new or slightly abused stuff in the dumpster.  A builder I've done work for has given me more new lumber then needed for this project.  I greatly appreciate his generosity.

considerations

You practically have a daylight basement there.  Any pics of the site? 

Planning is so much fun.  Permission to dream. c*

diyfrank

Yes planning / deaming never stops.

I have wanted to build a cabin for a place to hunt or just go to from time to time since I was 19.
My kids are adult now and My wife and I are ready to get started.

I posted a couple pics at the start of this thread. Your welcome to check out my myspace photos.
Theres many pics of the land and some wildlife.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=162208230

new land owner

What program did you use to draw your section plan?

diyfrank

Hi new land owner.
I have punch super Home suit. I used the cad program in it. I don't know for sure but, I think pretty much all the home design programs will do that.

SkagitDrifter

Hey Frank-
Nice project- It will be interesting to watch your progress.
I too am building over in Eastern Washington- closer to Tonasket.
Quick question...
I noticed your loft will be larger than 120 square feet.  Are you planning to build a "to code" stair system or some type of ship's ladder to access the loft.  I was told by the inspector that any loft over 120 square feet requires a triditional stair system with hand rail etc.  Did you discuss this with the inspector?  I am currently trying to figure a way around this code for my own place.  Any ideas?  Anyone?
All the best.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

diyfrank

Hi skagit,
It'll be to code. I haven't discussed the stair / ladder with the inspector yet.
I'll make what ever changes he wants to keep them happy.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll start working on a couple things now just in case he wants stairs.

120' sq ft  ???

SkagitDrifter

Frank-
A stair system will take up alot of floor space in the main living area.
That is the issue for me- I don't want to give up the floor space if I can help it.  A spirial stair can be used but the pre built ones can be spendy.
I have never built one- not sure if I want to take it on with everything else I have going.  A furiture grade ship's ladder is what I had in mind.
Keep me posted Frank-
Tom
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

glenn kangiser

Spirals are hard to get big things up.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

diyfrank

I think I could savage some of the space under the stair. Might be able to use the space under for a closet or kitchen cabinets.  I may go a 119' sq ft loft for now if its too much headache.

MountainDon

Could be just me but I dislike spiral stairs, unless it's a second access for an upper or lower floor area. As Glenn stated, it is difficult to get anything larger than a UHaul small size moving box up or down. Plus I just don't like them. With the stair code changes regarding tread widths that could also become a problem.

Maybe building it 119 sq ft with a clandestine expansion some time after you get your CO would work.  ???

SkagitDrifter

I'm with you on the spirial stair Don.

My plan is to wait until I get my CO before I proceed with the loft-
(the beams are in place without the 2x6 car deck at this point)
I just don't know if I can explain away (with a straight face) the Glu-Lam beams that run the width of the building with no real reason for being there.   
Abraham Lincoln

MountainDon

You scavenged them. A free overkill is better than a paid for minimum. You're going to hang an airplane from them.    ???

Redoverfarm

StinkerBell

I think Curlew is a beautiful area, We are not too far from Curlew, we have a Kettle Falls address but we are up past Orient East of the Kettle River.