20x24 Log cabin with loft - built from white pines from our property

Started by Remington760-308, November 02, 2012, 06:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington760-308

Headed to camp in the morning... Have half the T&G for the roof all the metal and insulation....   I guess half is better than none.... even though the lumber mill has had my rough lumber since spring and they asked me a couple weeks ago when i needed it...... LETS JUST WAIT TILL THE LAST MINUTE!!!! Oh well now that i have vented off to bed for an early rise.........

Remington760-308

We started on the side that had the stove pipe in it. We camped on the first floor so we wanted heat... I had just enough Tongue and Groove for one side... We started the next morning on porch roof because we had to move all the tin--- didn't want to move it twice    GOOD THINKING CHRIS....Front porch roof is done---Started to get green grass and we are adding some clover to the driveway and banks.. One side completed..... what a short weekend.... never enough time... Girls insulated the windows   and we made the rear door.. NOW I HOPE THE SAWMILL WILL HOPEFULLY FINISH UP MY T&G so I can finish.... they had it all summer and promised it would be ready by last week  NOT>>>>>>>

Remington760-308

I am so glad my Dad showed up Sunday morning.... We finished putting on the T&G and strapped the roof... We had a heck of a time putting plastic on so it wouldn't leak inside... We spent the night up there Sat. night and the wind blew so much that I didn't get any sleep from the tarp that was on the roof blowing around... another couple hours we will have the metal roof on and weather tight....

Remington760-308

Well finally we have the roof on so it is DRY inside..... It rained then snowed then rained again while we where putting on the last sheets... we also half buried a plastic barrel in the ditch outback for water to flush toilet....trimmed a few windows.. rushed home to go hunting with my son.... Youth weekend    he made an excellent shot 165 yards to down a 157 lb. doe.. we now have meat in the freezer for this winter..

jsahara24

Remington760-308

Thank you....  Can't wait to go to camp and just hunt not work......   

Remington760-308

Muzzle loader season started sat. saw 11 does this weekend. Had a fawn with a growth between her front legs that was the size of a basketball.... she couldn't run very fast but she looked in good shape. Headed too camp this friday. Gonna do some scouting/hunting. and work on camp some during mid day.

Remington760-308

Went to camp this weekend... worked on a few things - cleaned up alittle and had another great weekend with some great friends..  Cooked some potatoes on top of the wood stove. Cooked some venison o the grill outside and had some of Steph's home made bread..[URL=https://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Remington760-308/media/stairsaredone_zpsbc7bae06.jpg.html]stairs are done AGAIN... Backdoor and some T&G doneBathroom..... Girls are waiting for it to be finished plumbed in....Trying to keep the toilet seat as warm as possible  15 degrees sunday morning

Remington760-308

Stove not heating as well as I would like it to be.... Have been burning ash   plenty of draft    good bed of coals but no real heat out of stove...... would have thought this stove would blow us out of there... any suggestions.... 

rick91351

What is the outside temp?  I think I would go there first.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Remington760-308 on December 10, 2013, 11:42:20 PM
Stove not heating as well as I would like it to be.... Have been burning ash   plenty of draft    good bed of coals but no real heat out of stove...... would have thought this stove would blow us out of there... any suggestions....

The efficeny of the woodstoves differ greatly. Personally mine has a baffle area so to speak which restricts the escape of exhaust which improves it's heat output.  Some have none and the majority of the heat just "goes up the flue" so to speak.

You are burning a species which is close to the top of the scale for BTU output. 

http://forestry.usu.edu/htm/forest-products/wood-heating

I added a flue damper to mine which seems to make all the difference.  It doesn't restrict the air intake to the stove only restricts the exhaust.  Downside is that you have to clean the flue more often.  I leave the stove damper on high but cut the damper back on the flue.  If for some reason I have to leave for an extended period of time I will shut back the stove damper as well.  But as Rick said the outside temperature has a lot to do with how well it operates meaning it is putting out the same heat only that the inside is cooling off faster than normal because of the extreme outside temperature. 

Another thing that helps is if you have a high ceiling is to install a fan and reverse the direction to where it forces the air down toward the floor.  Hot air will rise and just sit there in the peak and offers no advantage to the floors and actual living area.  It also will help circulate it to ther rooms.

Don_P

I agree with the others, go on a draft hunt. Other things, moisture content of the wood is a biggie, wet wood isn't going to produce much over 200 degrees until the moisture is driven off. Our modern stove couldn't breathe very freely out of the box, it took a little port and polish work to get it to where it could thump when called upon.

rick91351

Interesting the amount of flue dampers I see now days.  Around here they were eliminated via the modern stove.  Oh you don't need them, that is old school.  Over the years I have seen several magically reappear.    ;)

I got a 'deal' of a Dutch West by Vermont Castings.  WOW Don - I hope I don't have to crate it all up and send it off to the machine shop.  $$$ Porting polished and blue printed but it now puts out serous house power..... Sure aint stock.....  Then we went to 4:11 gears and hooked it up with a ... Does a quarter in about just exactly ...............;D

Seriously though if a stove can not breathe it sure cant burn.  But it looks like it cooks the spuds.....  So I would look for heat loss via lack of insulation or drafts
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Am I correct to assume this was a trip up to the cold unheated cabin; then you built a fire to warm up?  Maybe it is not so much a problem of getting the stove to burn/heat but a case of the cold logs taking a longer than expected time to warm up. Maybe the stove is working as hard as it can but the heat is being absorbed by the log walls? Mass can be a two forked devil; good or bad depending on where the start and desired end points are.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

tommytebco

Having outside combustion air makes a tremendous difference.

Don_P

Rick, it can really get lost. That whole overhead valve thing is just a passing fad, flatties rule  ;D

QuoteMass can be a two forked devil; good or bad depending on where the start and desired end points are.
That is a good possibility. My old boss that taught us to build log cabins used to say the coldest weekend you can spend is in a log cabin, but the week after you leave it is nice and warm. But I'd wander around looking for cracks first.

UK4X4

Mass- insulation- empty for a while

we just arrived at our house where we are staying in a trailer....its been empty and unheated since october

The whole thing is cold, bedding, floors, walls, basicly the whole thing is the same temperature as outside night....arround -10oC right now

even the RV antifreeze is frozen solid

It will take us about 3 days to get the temperatures up and propane usage down !

Just making that change uses a whole lot of BTU's

Once the inside is heated the insulation starts to work, before that its like a heater in an icebox....

We double bubble the windows at night as well to reflect the heat back in

Last year it was -20oC when we arrived...that was a struggle to get the temperatures up inside over the first few days

Remington760-308

The stove has an internal damper. We have it wide open most of the time. No damper in the piping. I have stuffed alot of the cracks with insulation. have to work on sealing up the doors a little better... You are right about the mass being cold- but i went up friday morning and started stove had it up to 72' and then on sat the temp dropped into the teens. stove could not keep up. Burn time was only 5-6 hours max. A little drafty but not too bad.

akwoodchuck

Is your floor insulated? It can make a ton of difference, believe it or not....and I agree about the Remington 760, one of the finest rifles ever made... :)

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

Remington760-308

No it is not insulated yet. It will be next year when I have time to do it. I am also planning on putting metal all the way around the bottom to keep critters out and to keep the wind from blowing under..... By the way Nice Moose... and yes the best overall gun IMO is the Remington 760

rick91351

BTW Ellen my wife shoots an early model 760-'06 it was my uncle's.  Iron sights and no recoil pad.  I took it down to the gunsmith to get it taped for scope rings.  The gunsmith called and told me worth a lot more if you don't touch it was such an early model.  Suggested we find something else for her.  Her dad was a military gun collector so she cut her teeth with that type of configuration and never slowed her down even reaching out there a ways and touching some thing.  When we were in high school she shot mostly mostly black powder 50 cal mini balls from a long gun in competition.     

Remington760-308

You must have the REMINGTON 760 WITH THE SPIRAL FOREND SLIDE..  always loved the looks of that style gun.

akwoodchuck

Quote from: Remington760-308 on December 26, 2013, 12:55:11 PM
You must have the REMINGTON 760 WITH THE SPIRAL FOREND SLIDE..  always loved the looks of that style gun.

Yeah she's an oldy, made in the late 50s or early 60s I think; "corncob style" is what they call the forend...bought her in 1992 for $125, always been a straight shooter...been threatening to tune her up for a while, rebore to .35 Whelen, do a ceramic finish, new stock, etc.....truth is, I like her just fine, great truck gun.  :)

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

Remington760-308

:) :) :)HAPPY NEW YEARWent to camp - found alot of moose tracks and a spring that we didn't see in the middle of the property. My son and I cut and trimmed a path so we could get to the top of the land with 4 wheelers. It rained a couple of days ago and the driveway was so icey that we had to walk up it... :-\Cut and split some firewood.  Had lunch - hotdogs and chips......We where soaked when we left but we had a good father/son day and almost forgot our dog Bentley..... We had a skidder go by and he dropped his blade and plowed the road for us to get out.. TY.

Remington760-308